Kayak Fishing

• life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Does anyone one here fish from a kayak? We just got a couple and I’m looking at rigging one up for fishing from it. Any tips or product idea’s and how you like them would be great.

mrwalleye
    MN

I have 2 that I fish from,
    the first thing I would get is a good rod holder (like a Scotty )that will hold the rod in if you flip. also a spray skirt so you can put the fish in your lap as you take hooks out,I also have LED lights and a graph on one of mine with a vex battery in a fanny pack behind the seat, and a paddle holder is nice, I also have 2 mesh bags to hold small tackle boxes

haywardbound
    New Brighton, MN

Is there a spot to keep the bullheads?

audemp
    Wi

troll a bait bucket

genegr
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I fish smaller rivers in mine and like to use the 36″ rods from bass pro shops, nothing better than northern on a 36″ rod.

Dream’n
    South St. Paul, Mn

Get an anchor that you can drop from the back of the kayak. Little wind can take you off your spot in a heartbeat.
    Dream’n

yambo
    Texas

We catch alot of spawning White bass here in the early spring fishing from our Kayaks in the local creeks , no other way to get to those fish.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Got that covered then. I got the anchor taken care of already. Have a jonny rod mount bar on the way along with two scotty rod holders. Already have the skirt too.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Already have the skirt too.

You’re gonna wear a skirt? I’d go with a Speedo, but that’s my preference.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Been thinking about it. I would get this one.

Emotion-Mojo Angler

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Check out Joe’s in StPaul they have some nice ones

yambo
    Texas

I bought a kayak very similar to the one in the above pic,it’s nice but very heavy and hard to carry by myself,thinking of selling it and getting a basic Old Town and setting it up with rod holders.Found a great little anchor at Academy sports and mounted a pulley on the front,works great.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

The one in the photo is 52 lbs. Is that what your is? I am very interested in opinions and weight is always a biggee. I heard this type is nice because your not boxed in with the heat and trapped insects around your legs.

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

Most fishing kayaks are heavy because of the material they’re made out of. Like what was mentioned, they are hard to handle by yourself. But it’s just something about “Kayaks” that makes them the cool thing to have.

Check out a solo canoe in Royalex…..just as tough, but you’ll get a boat in the 40-50 pound range, instead of the 60-90 pound range. More room for gear (in an open boat) and a more fish friendly seating style. You can use a kayak paddle in a solo canoe too.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Suzuki,

If that thing is 52 lbs I would jump on it. Like jake said. Many of the other boats are far heaviear due to the materials. I use a composit boat to hunt ducks and it runs roughly 90 lbs. If I would have see that at 50 lbs +- I would have seriously considered it.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.