Favre has finally been confirmed

• docfrigo
    Wisconsin

I will always be a Favre fan, do I like the notion of him going to the Queens-last thing I’d ever want, but Ted Thompson started the “kicking him to the curb” way back when he drafted Rodgers, stating that the replacement for Favre had been found and prematurely naming him the next great QB of GB–this has been in the works for a long time.
    I understand the need to move on and decisions to be made-but Favre was a loyal employee that restructured his contract to make room for other players, never blamed his team or other individuals-even when they clearly ran the WRONG route. He never, ever gave up-even with throwing 3 plus int’s in game-hand him the ball and he will give you 110%, he was willing to take the risks that most would play it safe at, sometimes it worked and we cheered and sometimes it fell flat on it’s face. How was Farve supposed to act when they wanted him to essentially “tutor” Rodgers when they are both players fighting for the same job.(BTW, I realize none of this is Rodgers fault and he is a good QB-just caught in the middle of the crossfire).
    For 15 years, the Viking fans have hated Favre, but then again they eat their own young, crucifying their own-belittling players and past coaches, jumping on and off the band wagon—all you have to do is turn on KQRS and the others and listen.
    Chilli knows his job is on the line, he’s had enough years to prove it works. Face it, Favre is his last hope-either win it all or go home the goat. This super, long shot gamble will either do it all or sink the ship.
    If this does work, Ted Thompson is done, he and McCarthy have had enough time as well, they got lucky one year and then back to the tank. Eventually, the fans will not buy into the “this is a rebuilding year” any longer.

How many guys on this site have lost their jobs after many years of loyal service, only to be kicked to the curb-well, maybe you have alot more in common with Mr. Favre than you think.

As hurt as I am, my Favre pic is staying up in the office and I will patiently wait until Ted Thompson gets his kiester out of my football teams town.

For legacy, GB fans and more importantly, health reasons, my world would have him staying retired–but how many times at the end of a fishing day have you said, “just one more cast”.

Jeremy

whittsend

Quote:

Funny, how he went from “GOD” in green, to the anti-christ in 2 seasons….

big G

Equally as funny to see Viking fans who hated him for so many years slobbering over the idea of finally getting “the antichrist” on “their” team.

He was an unreal player in GB. Awesome to watch. I’m glad he entertained in green and gold for so many winning seasons. Its too bad there is so much hoopla going on currently (I quit listening a long time ago), but it doesn’t change that he was an awesome player, argueably one of the best ever. Packers moved on to Rodgers, so must/will the fans. (And yes, Rodgers has shown that he is more than capable.) Too bad for Favre that when people talk about his career, the biggest thing many people will remember is the 5 year non-retirement saga which was a result of the decisions he made. Doesn’t hurt my feelings any, though. Fun to have watched him play, and I’m looking forward to seeing how Rodgers does this season!

my 2 cents.

whittsend

Quote:

For 15 years, the Viking fans have hated Favre, but then again they eat their own young, crucifying their own-belittling players and past coaches, jumping on and off the band wagon—all you have to do is turn on KQRS and the others and listen.

I’ve tuned into a few Vikings games on my way back from the In-laws place… Couldn’t believe how much they ripped apart their own team on the air. Just downright nasty comments at times. I’ve heard constructive criticism on Packer radio, but never anything like the Vikings announcers… Maybe I just cought a few “off” broadcasts, but I couldn’t believe what I was hearing.

I think you would be hard pressed to find any other town/state that backs their pro football team like GB/WI. Whether thats good or bad, right or wrong, who cares… I’m glad to be a packer fan!!

chomps
    Sioux City IA

Quote:

Funny, how he went from “GOD” in green, to the anti-christ in 2 seasons….

big G

Funny how he has gone from the antichrist to the last great white hope in a purple jersey! Talk out of both sides of your mouth, I find it very peculiar reading all the hub-bub coming from the Minesota faithful, bringing up his interception record, his loosing a game or two, can’t win the big one in the cold, time and time again. Then in their next breath… well you all know what I mean. There’s a few things I can’t stand, one is a soap opra, Brett was and still is a soap opra, he brings all this attention apon himself and T. Owens is jealous.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

You know Chad Johnson and Terrel Owens are just ticked right now. The sad part, a 40 year old hurt QB is better than anything we have at mini-camp right now. What is really sad is if he does play well, he will likely get Childress a contract extension.

I’ll also be man enough to admit, I want to see him run on Lambeau in purple. Talk about add to the rivalry, it will make for some interesting crowd watching/fights etc… Might be the hardest sport ticket to ever get for that game.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I should also note, I can’t imagine how the Packer fans feel. You guys take your football to another level(how healthy I question, but lets argue that another day), but I’m sure it’s gonna sting to see #4 in purple. So, my suggestion is to self medicate with large quantities of beer and cheese curds.

whittsend

Quote:

I should also note, I can’t imagine how the Packer fans feel. You guys take your football to another level(how healthy I question, but lets argue that another day), but I’m sure it’s gonna sting to see #4 in purple. So, my suggestion is to self medicate with large quantities of beer and cheese curds.

DONE AND DONE!!! It sort of goes without saying…. Beer and cheese, always on hand as a solution for any disaster, no matter how big or how small….

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I could not agree more, I am not a packer fan but I love to watch Farve play, it is sad how some packer fans are turning on him now.

Quote:

I dont care if the guy retires and unretires for the next 25 years, I like watching him play and that really is all that matters to me. His personal choice to play or not play does not affect the fact that I like watching him play when he is on the field, none of my concern what so ever. Adn when he is retired (for good) Ill still say he is my all time favorite football player.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

Whatever way you want to look at it is okay. Yes there are Vikings fans that jump on and off, radio stations that don’t sugarcoat their play and most of us did hate Favre because he was great and played for GB(yes, in MN we can actually admit one of your players was great(and bad at the same time)).

I think for me more than anything (other than winning a SB) is the fact that your Favre legacy will forever be tainted by playing for the Vikes, even if it’s only for one play. Going further,,it’s tainted now just by Favre “wanting” to play for MN. In fact that’s enough for me. I love you guys to the east but this has GOT to dig and dig at you. I’ll admit it,, it’s great to live through.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I talk straight out my mouth…. I realized years ago he wasn’t GOD.. some others did not….. where did I say I want him as a Viking ??? He is not the answer to all the problems with the Vikings. The only reason I can think of that would be cool to see him in Purple, is to see all the Cheeseheads soil themselves when he runs onto Lambeau field…

big G

barebackjack
    New Prague, MN.

Thompson is a whole thing else, I would love to see Favre shove it down his throat for being such an arse, he needs to go away NOW! Someone hit it right on the ehad when they say that Tommy kicked him to the curn, exactly my thoughts, time to kick him to the curb!

whittsend

No matter which way you look at it, I would think that one thing is very clear, at least to me. The media (as they routinely do with everything they report on) has blown the whole situation way out of proportion. If you looked at the straight facts over the last few years, they would be rather boring, really. But the media constantly comes up with newer, more sensationalistic ways to spin the story, and most often they write whole articles on unsubstantiated reports, false quotes, and half-truth rumors. Anything to sell copies and get ratings. Maybe I’m not so much talking about the Farve thing specifically, but about the general media and just about anything they report on. Nothing gets by without bias, and so called facts are often questionable at best.

Being in the medical profession, it just about kills me any time I read a news article about anything healthcare related. Without question every article has at least a handful of false statements or wickedly spun-out points– or is just plain wrong. I don’t really know much about football and haven’t followed the Favre saga very closely… But I assume (as with any information that the media relays to the public) that this has become a waaaaay bigger issue than it ever needed to be.

Boy, how did I get onto the tangent on a fishing forum???

whittsend

Everything you read or hear or hear ain’t always true, and most of the “facts” that we think to be true we get from the media, a source which I have a very hard time trusting, period. Probably the only people who know exactly what went down between Favre and Thompson are Favre and Thompson, no matter what anyone says, and even then, I’m sure each person has a much different viewpoint of exactly what happened. Everything else is speculation and media hype. I’m not defending either person, but nor will I judge either person since I (any of us) don’t have a clue what really went down.

Either way, I glad Favre played in GB for so many years, and I’m looking forward to a promising season with Rodgers.

At least my opinion, based on my total distrust of the media. I could certainly be incorrect, though – my wife often tells me so….

big_g
    Isle, MN

whittsend… right on. If the media didn’t tell us so much, we probably wouldn’t be in recession right now Sensationalizing, shocking, breaking news, the more dire and hype they can build in ANY story, will get people talking about it and pretty much make it true…

big G

whittsend

Quote:

whittsend… right on. If the media didn’t tell us so much, we probably wouldn’t be in recession right now Sensationalizing, shocking, breaking news, the more dire and hype they can build in ANY story, will get people talking about it and pretty much make it true…

big G

Absolutely right. Sad thing is that a lot of people believe thier 10pm news and morning newspaper word for word, when a lot of times they are opinions and spun reality at best. I’m certainly not saying that the media is good for nothing, but they are so incredibly biased and over-sensationalistic that it drives me nuts. Facts are rarely facts. And if they are actually true, those facts are hand picked and filtered to fit into thier side of the story, without mention of the flip side.

Is seems like ESPN has run a Favre story everyday for the last 5 years. You can’t tell me there are actually that many facts to support so many news pieces…

Anyway, the media can say just about anything without consequence it seems. Make a big deal out of nothing. Its almost impossible these days to get straight facts without bias, unless you are the scientist/researcher/althlete/farmer/shop worker/military personel/whatever whom is directly involved in the situation… And even then its subject to your own personal biases.

I’ve got a beautiful wife, two beautiful sons, and a day on the water with Halfen tomorrow. Those are the facts as I see them, everything else I take with a grain of salt.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.