Target Separation

• eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

Opinions please… What is the best locator, currently on the market, for identifying bottom hugging walleyes (e.g. Lowrance X15, Vexilar FL-18 etc.)? Thanks for weighing in!
    Jack

Don Hanson

There are many good units available today. Watts of power,sensitivity, and high resolution are the main considerations. These factors will result in the target seperation you are looking for. I like running both a locator and a flasher. My choices are the Garmin 188 sounder and the Zercom LCF-40. The Garmin offers 4000 watts peak to peak power. dual frequency tranducers- 360 x 240 pixels. The Zercom has a target seperation of 2.5″. There are flashers that have target seperation down to .5″- For my application the Zercom fit the bill.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I put a post on the ice fishing forum showing a picture of my Vexilar. The lure was 1 foot off the bottom, and I played with it and found I could get within 2″ of the bottom. Granted, it is only 6′ deep. I have a tight cone that works really well for deeper water. I can still get excellent separation.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Are you referring to open water or ice fishing? My recommendation changes based on a few circumstances.

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

Scott, I was thinking open water when I posted, however, I would be interested in all your thoughts on the subject. Thanks.
    Jack

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have been using the Zercom Colorpoint for the past 3 seasons and love it. This product had many problems reported and is no longer available but mine has been flawless. I believe Marcum bought them and has improved the unit. They are getting high marks. My friend is at LOW right now with his new Marcum so I will have info soon.

My only gripe is they show interference from Vexilars pretty good but still readable. Here it is. http://www.reedssports.com/Cgi-Bin/Webc.exe/Catalog/st_prod.html?p_prodid=3998&p_catid=1038&sid=8ZjLd40mo7jm5b1-29103001155.c1

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

The Vexilar Edge is a great open water machine. Its very easy to use and shows incredible detail.

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

Thanks Suzuki, I appreciate the info.
    Jack

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

There are a few factors that play into good target separation. Don mentioned some: power and resolution. The other two main factors to look at are frequency and cone angle. You want a high frequency, but as you increase frequency cone angle gets smaller, giving you less coverage. So you have to have a little balance. The manufacturers know this, so they put well balanced products on the floor.

So, get the highest resolution screen in your price range (measured in pixels), The highest power in your price range (measured in Watts), and the highest frequency transducer without sacrificing too much coverage area (frequency measured in kHz).

The Vexilar Edge is a solid choice because it has true simultaneous dual frequency capability. You can run the The 400 kHz transducer (which has a narrow 10 degree cone angle = small coverage area) AND you can run the 107 kHz transducer (which has a wide 38 degree cone angle = large coverage area) both at the same time on a split screen. The 400 kHz transducer will pick up those bottom huggers, while the 107 kHz transducer will offer a wider view of what lies below the boat. What the Edge lacks in power and resolution, it makes up for with the 400kHz transducer.

The Lowrance X15, and this coming years new line of Lowrance units, offer greater power and higher resolution, which also makes the Lowrance units a great pick for walleye fishing. Garmin and Eagle will be realeasing new units this year as well. Expect to see more power and higher resolution in all of the 2004 models.

Now that we’re able to locate the walleye on the sonar, how the heck do we convince ’em to bite, even when they don’t want to?

Good Luck!!!

Wade

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

May I suggest a landing net with a very looong handle?
    Geronimo

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.