Computer Guru’s ??

• shaley
    Milford IA

Ok I’m pc challenged, I’m thinking about gettting a laptop but have no idea whats good and whats not. Whats the best out there?

holennet
    Park View, Iowa

Check out the Mac’s. Best Buy has an expert at each store, that can be very helpful with the Mac’s. My wife and son have Mac’s. I am impressed. I have used PC’s at work and home they are good but vulnerable to virus problems. Mac’s do not have the virus problem like pc’s. Mac’s are more expensive than a pc, but in the long run an excellent choice. Good luck with your purchase.

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

Shawn, I got one of those netbooks. It’s from Acer, 1.6 Ghz, 160 HD, 8″ screen. It surfs the web great, has Office and Works, does everything I need and I paid $279.00 for mine with a 6 cell battery. I even hook my cell phone to it and can get online any where!!

Ed

haywardbound
    New Brighton, MN

I have 2 Acer computers, a laptop and a desktop. They have been around longer than you think.

I’ve heard good things about Toshiba’s, and always hear good things about Apple.

Are you a fan of extended warranties? Wal-mart actually a decent warranty plan. Something to look into.

Oops sorry, I’m not a guru, just my opinion.

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

first off all, are you looking for a MAC or Windows based PC? personally, being in the IT industry, i would not recommend getting a MAC, just my personal opinion, and if you want, i’ll gladly go more into depth on that.

for a windows based system, i would stick with Lenovo, Dell, or Toshiba. and if you are looking for a portable system that you will be transporting around, i would get a business model. they are a little more expensive, but are built better, and lighter.

just my $.02

shaley
    Milford IA

Would be mostly a home based unit but will go on my fishing trips . I mainly surf fishing sites and do alot of stuff on FaceBook ( farm town, Fish Wrangler ect).

I just came back from Wal Mart and was looking at the Toshiba Sattelite for $500, 4GB mem 320 GB HD is that good? Other that I liked was a Dell Studio but not hip on Dell’s.

crammit
    United States

You may find yourself with a lack of horsepower with an inexpensive machine. In my experience, many have beautiful PC’s with awesome screens. They’ve loaded some Office products from Microsoft as well as an antivirus and anti-spyware product and then found it slower than molasses in January. An Apple is more expensive. So is a Skeeter. Do your research. Glossy screens are not conducive to outdoor use but are also difficult to find nowadays. I didn’t see the 320GB Toshiba @ Walmart referenced in the post but can’t assume it is more than a 2 gig processor. You may find your purpose for it will expand once you have it and should consider at least a dual-core chip. An analogy might be: Try to pull a 30′ camper with a ranger. This comes from plenty of experience in the computer industry and sincerely hope this helps. PS: been buying Macs but using PC’s where necessary for more than 20 years.

shaley
    Milford IA

Well my current machine was purchased the day befor Dale Earnhardt was killed so guessing anything I buy new today will be lightning fast LOL. I won’t do anymore on a new one than I already do just looking to get a laptop for taking on trips and general everyday use and retire this old Gateway to keeping pictures on.

The Toshiba I’m looking at is a Sattelite L355, I’ll have whatever programs I won’t use ( most of them ) taken off once I get a new one.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.