Keeping Minnows

• deertracker

I’m setting up a tank in my garage in an attempt to keep minnows alive. My question is, do they need to be fed? Would a type of flake fish food work or what else could I use.
    DT

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I don’t think you need anything fancy, even with a tank you will need to do water changes.
    Not sure how many minnows you plan on keeping or size of the tank you need, but the easiest way I have found to keep my minnows alive in the summer is to just put the minnow bucket in the garage beer fridge.

I have kept minnows weeks on end without feeding them. If you do start feeding them you have a chance of fouling out the tank if you over feed them.

wkw

No feed required, but you must have an aerator of some sort and I don’t think they will survive if you are on city water. City water can be used if you let set a few days before adding the minnows. Time will dissipate the chlorine, etc.
    wkw

loshinit420

A minnow bucket with an aerator is all you need, I live in Hastings and I use water straight from the tap of my kitchen sink when I change the water in my bucket with no problems ever, as long as the water is good and cold they should be just fine. Good luck I hope you get the results you are looking for!!

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I have 100 gal tank in my basement. I have it set up like a live well; with a small stream of water running continuously, then the water over flows into the tube and into my floor drain. Make sure you have an aerator running as well if you plan to keep a lot of minnows alive. I have around 20-60 doz shiners on hand at all times throughout the spring and various other minnows throughout the year. Sure beats running to the store all the time

timmy

Depending on your city, the water may or may not kill them. My city water kills them all. I bought “better Bait Minnow Holding Formula” from some livebait wholesale business. It turns the water blue and takes care of the chemicals. I have a 50 gal tank in the garage and keep minnows for weeks w/o a loss.

Don’t feed them or they will poop and foul the water a heck of a lot…….the first few days after trapping them, the water needs changing daily, until their systems clean out……

Tim

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

We use U2 and air.
    That stuff is magic, I swear!

bosman
    DeSoto, WI

I use all my minnows up while out on the water

deertracker

I was going to try a small aqarium filter. There are some minnows available now that I want to try to keep alive for a tournament that will be when they are not available. I quess we will see how it goes. I have well water so I don’t know how that will affect it.
    DT

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Well water is the best!

If you want to go to keeping your minnows forever…here you go!

Courtesy Mr. Larry Haugh.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I found that an aquarium filter plugged up way to fast. You can try charcoal cartridges and a sheet filter like Larry’s awesome setup.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

Quote:

I have 100 gal tank in my basement. I have it set up like a live well; with a small stream of water running continuously, then the water over flows into the tube and into my floor drain. Make sure you have an aerator running as well if you plan to keep a lot of minnows alive. I have around 20-60 doz shiners on hand at all times throughout the spring and various other minnows throughout the year. Sure beats running to the store all the time

Ahhh, Now I know the story!

I keep mine IN the lake (secret spot).

But yes, I wouldnt worry about food as much as I would putting some type of structure on the bottom. Pebbles, rocks, etc seem to work nicely. The less stressed you can have them the better. However, I’ve had them in tanks for long periods and while they don’t die, they do get very very weak. Depends what you’re doing with them I guess.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.