ZIPLOC OMELET

• Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

I got this in an email from a friend this evening, it sounds like it would be perfect when camping.

(This works great !!! Good for when all your family is together. The best part is that no one has to wait for their special omelet !!!)

Have guests write their name on a quart-size Ziploc freezer bag with permanent marker.

Crack 2 eggs (large or extra-large) into the bag (not more than 2) shake to combine them.

Put out a variety of ingredients such as: cheeses, ham, onion, green pepper, tomato, hash browns, salsa, etc.

Each guest adds prepared ingredients of choice to their bag and shake. Make sure to get the air out of the bag and zip it up.

Place the bags into rolling, boiling water for exactly 13 minutes [we did 15 minutes]. You can usually cook 6-8 omelets in a large pot. For more, make another pot of boiling water.

Open the bags and the omelet will roll out easily. Be prepared for everyone to be amazed.

Nice to serve with fresh fruit and coffee cake; everyone gets involved in the process and a great conversation piece.

Imagine having these ready the night before, and putting the bag in boiling water while you get ready. And in 15 minutes, you’ve got a nice omelet for a quick breakfast!!!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Did it last weekend. I make them at home and pack them in the cooler. Had breakfast for 6 ready in 10 minutes! All at the same time, and each with their favorite ingredients!

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

We do this a few times a year. You can do more than two eggs just add 3 minutes or so for each extra egg. I also recommend that about half way through the cooking time, you pull out each bag and knead gently. This make sure that the omelet is cook completely.

Ron

KirtH
    Lakeville

Favorite Scouting meal

Sharon
    SE Metro

I’m definitely going to try this! What a great idea!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

We do this a few times a year. You can do more than two eggs just add 3 minutes or so for each extra egg. I also recommend that about half way through the cooking time, you pull out each bag and knead gently. This make sure that the omelet is cook completely.

Ron

Good point!

I also make Breakfast burritos this way, only I use a vacuum sealer. I make 12 eggs, deer or any sausage, and a few splashes of salsa and cook until done. Then vac seal. All you need to bring with is tortillas, salsa and cheese. Throw the bag in boiling water until warmed up. Great for ice fishing. In fact we did it at an IDO GTG at Mille Lacs a few years back.

KirtH
    Lakeville

Will it work with stinkbait

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

no problem with the bags melting at all either?

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

no problem with the bags melting at all either?

I was wondering the same thing Erick

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’ve done it twice. No bag melt. Nice clean, non-greasy way to eat eggs. Basically a poached omelet. I used sandwich sized zip-lock bags.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

You boil them in water, not fry them!

The melting point of plastic doesn’t get reached.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

You boil them in water, not fry them!

I never was much of a cook

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

We just throw them between a couple pcs. of bread! All ya gotta do is boil water!!!

Big E would still screw it up!

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Tuck, I have heard that you must use the freezer bags so that is all I have ever used. Do you know if this is true?

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I prefer them as well..but last weekend I used sandwich bags. They worked, but wilted a bit.

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

well, i tried making these tonight, and the bags melted open. they were the generic freezer bags, i don’t know if that had anything to do with it…

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Use the Zip Loc freezer bags. I hear that the other bags are thinner and you will problems. My family did breakfast in a bag twice last week while we were on vacation.

Ron

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

Use the Zip Loc freezer bags. I hear that the other bags are thinner and you will problems. My family did breakfast in a bag twice last week while we were on vacation.

Ron

Ziplock freezer bags.

Ted Wedul
    holmen, wi

Quote:

well, i tried making these tonight, and the bags melted open. they were the generic freezer bags, i don’t know if that had anything to do with it…

Same thing happened to me. My buddy had cheap bags…went to pull my bag of eggs out of the water…ended up with the bag in my hands and the omelet in the boiling water?? Better than his wife’s that decided to fall in the campfire

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

That’s why we call them Ziploc Omelets and not “Cheap Generic Bag Omelets!”

I hope your next attempt turns out better.

HooksWife
    Crystal, MN

Was up in the Superior National Forest this past week, made them 2 times, YUMMY!!!! Very easy, no dishes! used Ziplock freezer bags, no problem with melting or anything. Best camping meal ever. Thanks so much for posting this!!

Scottie61
    Hudson, WI

We’ve done this a few times. Great quick breakfast!

Regarding melting bags, sometimes the side of the pot above the water can be way hotter than the water is, and melt the bag, esp. if you’re heating over a campfire, so be careful.

Eat up!

Scottie

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Made 3 of them this weekend on a sand Island on the River..combined with bread and some Hormel pre-cooked bacon and breakfast was done with no dishes to wash!

timmy

I see some reports regarding this being a bad idea. The reports say that the ziplocs will leech chemicals into the food when heated to boiling temps. Ziploc does not endorse doing it. Alledgedly the freezer bags are no better……. but I did try it and thought the result was great.

I would like to know HOW harmful it is. My gut feel is that an occasional omlette this way is probably no more harmful htan the occasional cigar or shot of whiskey.

Tim

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.