Jigging Rapalas on In-land Lakes

• blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Since I’ve yet to experience hard water action on any in-land lakes, does anyone use jigging raps when fishing lakes like Mille Lacs and LOTW? Or is it mostly spoons?

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

I haven’t ever had good luck on jigging raps. I’m sure others have, but I haven’t figured them out yet.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

In years past, I used to use them more than I do now. I have had a couple successful trips with them. However, the spoons,jigs,etc…. have proved for me to be better all around fish producers.
    I have similair feelings as Mike does with them. I know of some die hard rap dudes, but I am not one of them!!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I have to echo both Steve and Mike’s comments. I’ve used them a lot, with some great success at times, but compared to pimples and other jigging spoons, they don’t seem to provide the consistency. Don’t get me wrong, there are times when these babies go on fire. I feel like it takes a pretty agressive bite though, and I’m not sure it would matter what you through at the fish then.

hooks
    Crystal, Mn.

I too have had mixed results with them also. On days when things are slow I will now and then throw one down the hole, and have caught fish occasionally. I do not consider it a go to bait in my arsenal. I still go with jigging spoons, changing colors and size before using raps.
    The action on these things is awesome to watch, they have a great circular swimming motion and will every once in a while provoke a strike. There hell on your hands when your cold, hooks every direction.

bam_bam
    Badger, MN- not too far from the big pond!

My experience on lake of the woods is to leave the raps at home, and pick up a variety of pimples and spoons, gold and red are the best go-to colors, white and blue a close second, and glow in the darks at early light and sunset..but I’ve had luck with just a plain ol’ hook too, if they wanna bite, they’ll bite, regardless of what kind of hook you’re dangling

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

On some of my jigging raps I remove the bottom treble and put on a dropper chain with a single hook.The action on jigging raps is alot of fun to watch.
    Ryan Hale

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.