pulling spinners/ line twist

• JimMcdonald
    IL

Does anyone have a solution to preventing line twist while pulling spinner rigs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jim Have a great Day

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I pull spinners quite a bit. Rare to have any problems with line twist. I do tie all of my own rigs. Most off the shelf spinners lack 2 things:

1. Quality swivel.

2. Heavy mono in the 12-14 lb range.

If you have a crappy swivel that does not do its job, or too light of a line, twist is inevitable.

-J.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Why does smaller line diameter cause twist?

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

Smaller diamater line isn’t as “sturdy” and is prone to twisting with the blade. I use 12 Big Game and it works great on Green Bay, Winnebago, and the Mississippi. The heavier line also uncoils better if you roll them.

Sartell Eye Guy
    Sartell, MN

I run a snap swivel off the bottom bouncer snap swivel. Then the extra snap to a barrel swivel. Seems to work, and I use lighter, longer spinner snells than most (8lb XL and 9′ long).

ted-merdan

As the others have said – if you are using lighter line move towards a ‘stiffer’ mono like a Trilene XT or Trilene Big Game and spend some $$ on a few good swivels – personally I am only using ball bearing swivels on my spinner rigs – yes they are expensive but you can get quantities for reasonable cost @ cabela’s – great things to buy when they have sales or $20 off when you spend X amount.

Good Luck!

-ted

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

Quote:

Here’s another question. Why in the world would anyone use 12-14 lb on their snell? That’s probly going to twist no matter what. I use 6lb MAX and sometimes 4 if using a minnow. If you’re not trolling fast the lighter line with a longer snell will allow your minnow to swim on it’s own and look much much more natural..

Maybe i’m ahead of myself with this since it’s a spinner question.. of course you’re going fast. I’m an idiot!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

Here’s another question. Why in the world would anyone use 12-14 lb on their snell? That’s probly going to twist no matter what. I use 6lb MAX and sometimes 4 if using a minnow. If you’re not trolling fast the lighter line with a longer snell will allow your minnow to swim on it’s own and look much much more natural..

Maybe i’m ahead of myself with this since it’s a spinner question.. of course you’re going fast. I’m an idiot!

It sounds like you’re “trolling” so slowly you’re in effect Lindy Rigging with a spinner blade above your bait. And there’s nothing wrong with that. My mother’s husband fishes this way almost exclusively. He turns his 16′ lund sideways to the wind, drops down a 1/4 walking sinker and a rig with a #2 blade on the line tipped with a leech. In reality he’s unlikely to get more than a wobble out of his spinner… and he’s certainly not getting consistent rotation. But when the fish are less aggressive this technique flat out works.

When you’re “trolling” spinners I’m not really looking for the minnow to “swim” in any way. In the best case scenario you hope the minnow remains upright behind the spinner rig. And the end goal when trolling spinners isn’t to look “natural” per se. It is to put together a presentation that combines the attraction of the vibration and color of the spinner rig with the “natural” profile and scent of livebait while taking advantage of the ability to cover more ground than is possible when lindy rigging.

The heavier mono used in spinner rigs is stiffer by design. Or it should be. That “stiffness” makes it less likely that the rotation of a spinner blade will twist up the line and there’s NOTHING worse than removing the hook(s) from a fish and nicking or breaking a rig tied on light mono. You don’t want to go overboard with the diameter of the line used but a spinner rig can be made quite durable with the proper components. Tie a rig on 4# test line and you’re not going to be fishing that same spinner for very long w/o the need to replace or repair it.

Most spinner rig trollers are using a lot more weight as well. I’m usually using 1.5 – 3 oz depending on depth. This allows me to keep the amount of line out to the lure behind the boat to a minimum and to keep my speeds where I want them. I would say I trolling spinner 1.2 – 1.8 mph most of the time. Sometimes a little slower, occasionally a little faster.

Given that your bait is moving along at a fairly good clip a walleye is not able to eyeball every last minute detail of your presentation so there’s really no drawback to the heavier line. If it looks like something to eat… and it smells like something to eat… they got to eat it. Or it is gone. As water temps warm and fish become more active this more aggressive presentation can be a top producer.

JimMcdonald
    IL

Thanks for the advice guys Have a great day Jim

690reece
    Hutchinson,Minnesota

I like Berkley Vanish 10lb for my spinner rigging as it resists twisting and is invisible in the water!
    Good Luck!

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ve switched most rigs to 6-8 lb Fire Line (or equivalent)for our trips to LOW – Canada. With 3-4 people fishing walleyes, bottom bouncers and spinner rigs work well as someone is always snagging the bottom – usually kids. Minimizes the amount of lost rigs and don’t have any trouble with twisted lines. Easier for someone who doesn’t fish a lot to feel the bottom with a braided line as well. (Swivels are always used as well.)

Pete

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

I love to pull spinners. They are so much fun to catch fish on.
    Here’s what I do: I tie a crane swivel onto my mainline, and then I put a duolock snap on that crane. Attach the spinner rig to the snap, and off you go. I have very minimal problems doing this, no matter the diameter of the line.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.