Red Lake Crappies-Trib article

• kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

After reading this article, a question comes to my mind(don’t laugh). Should we be practicing a selective harvest on those big crappies?? I’m saying anyting over 12 inches. Should a person just keep and eat them since they are likely to die to mortality over the next few years?? What do you guys think??

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

Should a person just keep and eat them since they are likely to die to mortality over the next few years?? What do you guys think??

The article also stated that anglers only fish 20 percent of the lake. So I’d say eat ’em!

Jon J.

kevinneve
    Devils Lake ND area

The sad thing about the Red lake situation is that most everything (crappies) being caught is from a single year class of fish 9 years old. No recruitment of any other year can be found. Healthy fisheries need a successful hatch every two three years to keep them coming.

Yes it is a bonanza for the fishernman but at what cost?

Angler will flock to this lake in huge numbers and take home tons of crappies. Meat fisherman will be in their glory. Anglers will talk about the all the big crappies they caught at Red Lake but remember they came at a price.

These fish are and will be dying of old age. Plus remember older fish tend to carry higer amounts of mercury and are not as healthy to eat.

What is also obvious that there are no predator species fish present or at least predator fish of such a size that can handle eating 12 inch plus crappies yet.

Yes the crappies are large but it is sad to me that this lake is in such horrible shape. It will take many many years for this lake find a balance.

Many of you won’t understand what I am saying and only can see things for today. But a healthy lake is reluctant to give up her fish.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

I’m going to have to check the DNR site again. am not sure what is set up for forage base. the Crappies have to be spawning, but am sure alot of these YOY Crappies are their own forage, there are some huge Northerns, and the Walleyes are rebounding nicely, and with the Perch thrown in. there may not be many small Crappies to feed them all. Does anyone know if you can fish with an Indian guide in the closed sections of Upper/Lower Red lake, or is it all off limits for non Indians. thanks Jack.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.