opinions wanted

• hawkeye27

Hey all had a beautiful weekend for opener as I fished some southern MN lakes caught quite a few eyes but sizes were 14 and smaller. Now I am the type of fisherman to let these go but I couldn’t help but notice guys were leaving with limits of these fish it irritates the HE double hockey sticks out of me but maybe I am over reacting. So the question is what are your personal limits for keeping walleyes. I would like to say mine are 16 to 25 anything above and below that is going back unless someone can change my mind. thanks and happy fishing we have another awsome week for it!!!!!!

adam dungan
    Two Harbors

Best eaters are 15″-17″, but I have been known too eat an 18″-19″

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

I generally work down to 14″ as the smallest eye.
    and generally dont take over 20″ ( I think MN has a only ! over 20″ rule too)
    Over 20″ and the taste goes down and those are the best fighteres for enjoyment and Spawners for future enjoyment. Just my $.02

gusschoenfeld
    Winsted, MN

Quote:

I generally work down to 14″ as the smallest eye.
    and generally dont take over 20″

Those are my personal limits as well

bassmaster
    SE, MN

14-18 are the best eaters. My .02

shaley
    Milford IA

14-17 to eat rest go back

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

14-18 are the best eaters. My .02

Besides that they are walleyes! The DNR does heavy stocking to keep up with the demand of our state fishes popularity of fishing. It is tradition for many to have a large fry of walleye that night to celebrate. I prefer to let the big hype go before I get on the water that way it is much safer for me.

rangerski
    North Metro

SEEING SOMEONE HARVEST ANYTHING OVER 21″ IS FAR WORSE FOR THE FISHERY THEN KEEPING 14 INCHERS. MOST WOULD AGREE. I BELIEVE YOU CAN KEEP WHATEVER YOU PLEASE AS LONG AS ITS IN THE LIMIT. MAYBE YOU WANT TO RE-THINK CARVING THE 24-25″ FISH AND LET THEM REPLENISH THE FISHERY WITH SPAWN…. MY .02

p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

14 absolute minimum-20 absolute max. 14-18 preferred for harvest.

nailbender

I would love to see Minnesota implement a 14″ minimum size and keep the one over 20″ restriction. It’s sickening to watch so many people keep a limit of 12-13″ fish to say they got their limit. If you’ve fished walleyes enough, you know that the smaller fish are the easiest to catch. If these smaller fish could make it one more year, less would be caught and more would spawn for the future. My personal slot is 15-19″.

hawkeye27

with all that being said it has been proven that there is little to no reproduction in most southern lakes so keeping A (meaning 1) fish that is 24, 25 inches isn’t gonna hurt reproduction but I respect all input and I too agree on the 14 inch minimum

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

There are many lakes in southern MN which are classified as “Put and take” lakes. Natural reproduction is limited to nothing at all. Fish are stocked as fingerlings in any number of years. You can look this up on the “Lakefinder” option on the MN DNR website.

From the DNR:

Despite its limitations, stocking is a useful tool for some purposes:

Walleye are introduced to lakes that have been “rehabilitated” (that is, where the previous fish were deemed undesirable and removed). Where habitat is suitable, these introductions often establish self-sustaining fisheries.

In one of the most popular and effective uses of stocking, walleye fry are put in heavily used lakes that occasionally winter-kill. These lakes – many of them in southern Minnesota – are fertile, and walleye fry quickly grow into “keepers.” The fish may be given some protection with aerators to increase winter oxygen, but still, stocking these lakes is a gamble. The risk is losing great numbers of game fish before they can be caught. The payoff is desirable game fish where otherwise nongame fish would swim. Heavy use by anglers makes the gamble worth taking.

Walleye are also stocked in lakes with all the elements necessary for survival except suitable spawning areas. This approach works in lakes that once were natural walleye producers but that since have succumbed to farm runoff and lakeshore development. As fertilizers, septic-tank seepages and other sources of nutrients have enriched waters, algae proliferate and smother walleye eggs. In this instance, stocking is a prosthesis for an injured body of water.

In cases like these, people have a tendency to keep pretty much everything they can legally it seems. So you will most likely not see too many fish over 20″ in these lakes, and the fact that in “Normal” lakes that they would be good spawners would not necessarily apply to these lakes.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Anything over 20 inches goes back. I’d rather see the little ones kept than any of the bigger ones (over 20 inches). It takes mother nature a long time and a lot of good fortune to make a big walleye. Once they hit 20 inches, I’d like to see them get a real shot at 30 myself.

For eaters, I personally prefer ‘eyes in the 14 to 18-inch range.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Personally I have no issues with keeping 14″ inch walleyes. Ma Nature cranks them out by the bazillions and they’re easily replenished through spawning or stocking. Personally I’d rather have them a little longer, in that 15″ – 17″ range but I won’t fault anyone for keeping a 14″ walleye any more than I would fault someone for keeping a 7″ bluegill if they’re hungry enough to clean them.

fish4fish888
    Wahkon,MN

Walleye? we dont need no stinkin walleyes. i put them all back, but then again i only catch them on accident if i do get them. now a 22-24 inch northern thats a different story. ill eat the HE double hockey sticks out of them. i can only guess that i am going to get some crap for this one

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Pike are every bit as good as walleye in my opinion. Get those y bones out and that’s good eats.

backlasher
    Fridley, Mn

If you don’t mind the slime, I agree with James.

They are every bit as good! The Y-bones take a few extra minutes, but worth it. I too would rather see people keep 14″ fish than the 20″ers.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.