Weed Trimmer – Recommendations needed

• blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Having grown tired of dragging a cord around with the electric version, I’m completing an upgrade to a gas model.

I’m looking for recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

drakesdemise
    Residing in St. Paul, MN doing weekly travel throughout the five state Upper Midwest

Echo or Stihl
    “I’m at the point in my life where I can’t afford to buy cheap stuff any more”
    Good luck
    cheers

chippee
    sw wi

I’m kind of lazy when it comes to trimming and only trim every 2-3 wks and I have had a craftsman for a couple yrs with no problems.

DrewH
    s/w WI.

Steil. I have had one for several years. They start easy and will tear the lips off anything. I can get the mod. # if you want it. I don’t want to wake it up for another couple of weeks.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Tom- I’ve had a Troy Built for 4 years now and it has been great. I got the 2 stroke model that you can switch out different attachments. I have the edger attachment and the hedge trimmer attachment and love it. The hedge trimmer attachment is awesome for my tall hedge. It’s a little on the heavy side but I can get the job done quick.

What ever decision you make just be sure that the string head has 2 strings coming out of it.

Doug Bonwell
    Cedar Falls IA

Heard goats work pretty good too!

johnie1610
    Eau Claire, WI

I have a ryobi works well and accepts the attachments no problems at all.

DrewH
    s/w WI.

Ditto on the two string thing. No more tangled spools. The Steil has 3 I think. The guy who sold it to me suggested going a couple of sizes thicker on the line and buy bulk. A needle nose with a cutter and the line change takes seconds. I wear a plastic face shield; not so much for the eye protection but have a lot of poison ivy where I weed wack twice a year and it splatters on my face. Boy did I get a face full of itch the first time.

haywardbound
    New Brighton, MN

I actually down graded to a cordless trimmer. It works for what I need, but it will have trouble with bigger stuff. I still have the gas one for a back up if I need it.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Get a few goats, they require no cords or fuel and you dont have to feed them

hanson

Just bought a Stihl FS 55 R today.

Boy does she cut grass!!

Everyone I asked recommended Stihl. Stihl was my choice anyway but always good to ask a few folks as well.

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

I have a weed eater brand, maybe 10-12 years old it has been very good. It came with a saw blade to cut small trees. I used it for five or six years trimming the grass below 1/2 mile of electric fence. My neighbor had goats and she thought she could let them graze on my pasture, 8000 volts from the fence kept them out.

Now I still have a few places I trim but for the most part I have lawn edging that I can mow up over, mulch around the trees and I use round up around some trees/telephone poles/and such. I mow my grass 3″ in the spring 4″ summer 3″ fall and you cannot tell from the road that there is not grass where I have sprayed.

Good luck on your choice Tom

larry_haugh
    MN

stihl FS 85 or 95. If your up for it they have all kinds of attachments for it, that are really easy to swap out. Cutters, sweeper and many others.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

The guy that works on my lawn mowers tells me to either buy a top of the line $400 Stihl that will last forever or get a Weed eater for around $70 and replace it with a new one when it dies. I have run my Weed eater for three years now with now problems.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Your going to do yard work Blue …or is it for the neighbor kid

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

Your going to do yard work Blue …or is it for the neighbor kid

Funny guy you are….How’bout I give your wife a call and have her schedule some yard work for you.

btomlin
    Albia, IA

I have a stihl fs45. I think I paid $150 for it new last year. It’s a reliable unit.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Whatever brand you get, be sure it has a long shaft. The commercial grade whips seem to be longer than the residential, in the past anyway. My old Ryobi still runs, but I have to bend over way too much to use it each time.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ve had a Craftsman for a few years. Long, straight shaft (the weed whacker, that is ) and plenty of power. It starts well, runs well, and does all I ask of it. I think I paid about $90 for it. If I had a ton of trimming to do I might spend more on a Stihl, but this one has been great from my residential duties.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

Echo or Stihl
    “I’m at the point in my life where I can’t afford to buy cheap stuff any more”
    Good luck
    cheers

Good advice Cuz!!
    I love my Stihl!!! I HIGHLY recommend it!!

KirtH
    Lakeville

I would recomend a Stihl or Echo, I have Stihl weed wacker and a Echo leaf blower, top notch

Hotrod2

I use RedMax. Best on the market IMO.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.