Who could help me with a car tire selection ?

• Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I am in need for new tires on my wife’s Grand Prix GTP. the tires on it now are, Republic Steel Belted Enterprise….

???? never heard of them ???

The size that is on the car is P225 55R 17..

What I want is a good mileage tire, but a good ride also is very important also..

I have done some online pricing but i’m looking for some first hand expertise…

Thanks, and I look forward to your responses

big_g
    Isle, MN

Look at these Dave… 60K tire and nice ride….about $115 each. PS.. stay away from Continental….

Coopers

big G

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Hey Thanks Glen !!

See ya this weekend

Don Miller
    Onamia, MN

Goodyear Assurance with Triple Track. If you want to go 65 mph in the left lane on snowy days this is the tire to get. #1 Consumer Report rating. 80,000 mile tread life (so they say). Not cheap but IMO worth it.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

that’s good info !!! I know it’s important to have the wife safe under the conditions your were describing…I like the high rating they get also !!

Thanks Don

big_g
    Isle, MN

Triple Treads shouldn’t run more than $150 a tire or there getting ya…… 80K, I wouldn’t count on that, more like 60K.

big G

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I have a few friends and family discount cards from Firestone…I know nothing about tires other than they go on a vehicle and they are black…..I will bring some with this weekend if you change your mind to go with firestone…

jetdriver
    Hudson WI

I worked several years in a tire shop when I was going to college. There are only about 4 companies that make all the tires with different brands on the side.
    In my opinion you can not go wrong with the Michelin/BFG line of tires. Good sevice life and traction.
    When people asked us about Goodyear the reply would be “we sell good tires not Goodyear.” Saw a lot of manfacture defects with them over the years.
    Let me know if you have anymore question before I pi$$ off any more people and this post starts going counter-productive.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I have seen manufacturer defects on every brand tire under the sun, Continental more than most with a terrible warranty system to work with. Goodyear is a recognition name, people perceive great tire with the name…. the Cooper I mentioned, is every bit of tire the Triple Tread is, but $35 a copy cheaper. We get people at the store who buy used cars, who INSIST we remove the perfectly good tires that are on the vehicle and put Goodyears on…. I just shake my head and charge the Used car dept

big G

adam dungan
    Two Harbors

I’ve ran Cooper, Toyo, Good Year, Nokian, Hankook, Firestone, and Kelly tires in the past. I would have to say that the Nokian tires were the most quiet, wore good, and provided good all around traction. The Toyo Proxy FZ4 I could not seem to wear that tire out but the trade off was winter traction. The other tires I listed I have primarly only purchased in snow tire versions so obviously wear and noise are going to be present and are not worthy of further comment in this forum.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Dave I have had very good performance out of Coopers on my 4X4s but have to say that on my wifes Taurus the Ford dealer (friend of ours) said they felt the Michelin X were the best allround tire… especially with my steep icy driveway in mind.
    Those are 16 months old now and so far…excellent!

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Goodyear triple tread by far the best tire out there for cars. I got 80k and still have tread left. They go through snow like no ones bussiness. And you will think you are Dale Jr. on the road

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Quote:

Goodyear triple tread by far the best tire out there for cars. I got 80k and still have tread left. They go through snow like no ones bussiness. And you will think you are Dale Jr. on the road

With the way the wife drives…

She thinks she is Danica Patrick Zoom Zoom

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

So here’s what I got so far..

Cooper
    Goodyear Assurance with Triple Track
    Firestone
    Michelin/BFG
    Toyo Proxy FZ4

I will have to do some research on some of the not so popular name brands.. When I say “not so popular” I mean TO ME..not that they are not popular..I just live in a small town and don’t hear alot about them..

keep them thoughts coming !!

Right now it looks like the GY or Cooper is the two most talked about here so far..

bigdog mn

I run Goodrich Traction T/A tires on my Gran Prix. Good snow/wet traction. Last set went 65k.

stcroixer
    Croix Valley

Just put Coopers on my F150, love ’em

haywardbound
    New Brighton, MN

I had a good experience with Discount Tire last year. They gave me $40 off, and I think there is that same special going on now.

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Quote:

Dave I have had very good performance out of Coopers on my 4X4s but have to say that on my wifes Taurus the Ford dealer (friend of ours) said they felt the Michelin X were the best allround tire… especially with my steep icy driveway in mind.
    Those are 16 months old now and so far…excellent!

We too have been running the X radial for several years. Have always got good mileage and traction out of them. We get them at Sams Club, they mount, balance every 6000 miles, and road hazzard for a one time fee of $9 per tire. Last fall I put a couple of the BF Goodrich Commercial TA since they were almost 1/2 the price and they seem to be doing well. But I know that the X radial is one hell of a tire…

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Thanks for all the input guys !!!

I am going to look into the tires and see who has what without traveling to far to get them…

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

One more question…???

Do you guys know…can the wheel weights be put on the inside of the wheel instead of the outside ?

They sure look like crap on the outside..

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Shouldn’t your wheels be turning north by now?

I’ve had vehicles with the weights on the inside.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Depends on how they balance out. You can sometimes get the pasted/glued weights too, on the inside of the rim, depending on rim style.

big G

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Thanks guys

I will ask the installer to put them on the inside !!!

Hey Kooty,

new job in 3M…4 to 5 days a week now
    this week it’s 5 I’m guessing I’ll be on the road by 12:30 tomorrow…just in time !!!

But I am very happy to have a job

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.