Planner Boards?

• jkratky
    Lino Lakes, MN

I just purchased 2 off shore planner boards, I have used them in the past pulling cranks. What I would like to do now is find a site for setting them up pulling crawlers, and can you pull jigs with them as well? New to this type of fishing, and I figure an easy way to get the wife in the mix so she can still read her books and mags.

mrwalleye
    MN

You can pull just about anything with them
    I was out yesterday pulling small spinners with a crappie minnow for perch and crappies and having a blast
    all I did was put a small swivel and a #2 split shot on then the spinner rig,
    I ran that back 40 feet and clipped on the board,
    I ended the day with 6 10″ crappies and 2 10″ perch.
    I also had the biggest bass I have ever had on a board
    looked away from the board and when I looked back it was gone so I knew I had a big fish on
    she went just under 6 pounds

jkratky
    Lino Lakes, MN

Congrats. on the fish. When pulling crawlers and jigs 40 foot rule? On crawlers and leeches-lindy rig set up-40 feet of line to bottom bouncer? And I’m fishing in 14-20FOW. I know it will have to be tweeked, but just some do’s and don’ts are helpful for someplace to start. Thanks for your insight, and more are welcome. Heading across the river to Wisc for there opener on Sun-Mon and hope to put this through alot of trail and error. and maybe catch a fish or to. Thanks again

mrwalleye
    MN

It all depends on what you are pulling.
    I was running in 10 FOW and wanted it down 8-9 feet. so the first run was at 50 back and I was hitting bottom to much,
    changed it to 40 and started catching fish
    when running spinners and split shot rigs. if you have a bigger blade you have more resistance and it will run higher in the water. so you need a little more line or a bigger spilt shot.
    as for bottom bouncers, a 1oz bouncer run 25feet back will run about 15 feet down at 1-1.5 mph.
    alot of it is just getting out and seeing what works.
    and keeping notes on what you did
    I have never pulled jigs but its something that I have thought about doing.

One other thing is if you dont have flags yet get some
    I never would have seen any of the bites without them yesterday,
    the flag would just twitch once or twice and that was it.

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

i’ve never used a planner board, does it work the same as a notebook planner? that is crazy though a piece of equipment that not only keeps your schedule straight, but also helps catch fish!

Bartt
    Somerset, WI

Quote:

i’ve never used a planner board, does it work the same as a notebook planner? that is crazy though a piece of equipment that not only keeps your schedule straight, but also helps catch fish!

If you “plan” on catching fish you will need the “planner” board!

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

For open water fish I prefer inline trolling sinkers or snap weights. At 1mph you can estimate about your depth to be about 1/2 of the amount of line you have out. 40′ of line should get you close to 20′ deep.

jkratky
    Lino Lakes, MN

Quote:

Quote:

If you “plan” on catching fish you will need the “planner” board!

I need to correct this for the little spell-checkers: “PLANER” I hope I didn’t confuse you to much.
    I thank the rest for there insight, I will be putting it to use.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.