Humminbird 1100

• jhalfen

The clearest side images will come when the boat is moving at slow speeds along a generally straight path….1-6 mph is typical. You need to tune the chart speed to match the boat speed for the best, distortion-free images.

While it may seem that some black magic is involved, it is actually very easy to figure out the right chart speed for your boat speed…and the resulting images kick butt!

Side imaging will change the way you fish.

JimMcdonald
    IL

Hi I have 1197 and it is great. I have question for Jason. How do you know when 1197 is tuned right? I think my unit is working pretty good. Sometimes I wonder if the picture could be a little bit crisper.

Even with some question if it is tuned in right. I still find fish and structure I wouldn’t have without the side imaging.

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

By tuned, I’m assuming you mean speed of the graph/boat? If you see vertical lines, you’re going too slow, if you see horizontal lines, you’re going too fast.

jhalfen

When I’m looking for the best images, I will decide on a “fixed” boat speed (perhaps just above idle, 2.5-3 mph) and then tweak two parameters on the graph: (1) the side-scan range and (2) the chart speed. I’ll adjust those while I’m driving along, monitoring the images the whole time, for the best possible images.

With a small amount of time invested (and I’m talking way less than 10 minutes), I know that I will have dynamite images at that particular boat speed. If I need to be moving slower or faster (like if I’m pulling 3-ways on the river or power trolling), then I’ll need to go through the image optimization process again for the best images at the new speed. The trick is to write down your settings in your fishing log, and you can quickly reset to the best settings needed for any particular speed that you are moving.

Having said that, the factory defaults are pretty darn good, so you shouldn’t be intimidated by the small tweaks I’m talking about. Get comfy with your Humminbird, start to wow yourself and your buddies with great side images, and then start to fiddle with the settings for the best images possible!

JimMcdonald
    IL

Thanks so much Jason. I will give that a try next time out.

I also just ordered the dvd about dragging from Dean at everets can’t wait to see it. Have a great Day Jim Mcdonald

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.