Lake Erie Walleye?

• Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Hey Guys, I recently got an email from my friend about going to Erie the weekend after Easter and doing some walleye fishing. We will be heading out of Port Clinton. I was wondering if anyone here has had any luck or been to Erie this year and what I might need to bring as far as tackle and things go. I know it’s a pretty vague and open question, but the more info the better. Also, have the walleyes been biting out there? Thanks guys and any input would be helpful.

jhalfen

Yesterday’s satellite image makes that west end of Erie look a bit…..what’s the word I’m looking for…..murky.

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Must be a lot of mud in that part of the country.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Quote:

Yesterday’s satellite image makes that west end of Erie look a bit…..what’s the word I’m looking for…..murky.

Looks like Ohio shifted a bit into the middle of the lake!

eyetroll

The FLW tournament starts there next Wed out of Port Clinton, so don’t expect too many hot tips. The Pros may give you a tip or two in person, but only after they’re convinced you’re not in the tournament.

walleyehunter
    Melrose, WI

We have always had the best luck pulling Smithwick Super Rogues (Clowns with the red bill tend to produce the most). Use planer boards and stagger the line lengths until you find the magic number.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Depending on the water temps, you’ll likely get in on the end of the crank bait bite and possibly see a transition to spinner/crawler bite. With the muddy pic above, I’d be targeting fish east of the islands. However, that can change A LOT in 8-9 days. Mud lines are huge transition points to focus on when fishing Erie. If you find a pod of fish, beat the heck out of them until they won’t bite anymore. The fish are on the move this time of year, so where they are day one, may not be the same at day 2 or 3.

wingdam1
    Milan, IL. Pool 16

Hair jigs and blade baits have always worked good for me. Finding some clean water is the key. The big boys will be pulling crank baits soon if not already. Good luck and be careful as lake Erie has a way of humbling you.

jhalfen

This is today’s satellite pass. I threw in Lake St. Clair as well. Thick!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

When I was out there last, when we found spots that look like the screen shot, we slammed them on anything blue/chrome rattle traps and Hot Pink X-Raps!!!!

Jason, what site are getting the daily sat update from?

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

This is the site I use:

Erie

ccook
    Hastings Mn

Steve,
    As of right now I’ll be there next thursday. Right now the water is dirty, the way the forecast looks that will change by the time you get there. There is a couple of patterns that play out on erie. There is a spinner bite and a crankbait bite. For a rule of thumb, if the water temp is 45 or lower the cranks will be hot. Once that water starts to push 50 the spinners really take off. I would run a couple of both. With both, make shure your pulling some high. I mean in the top 12 feet of the water column. Those walleyes are suspended fish and alot of times you wont even mark them. As far as location, start around the reefs (d-can)and the head to north bass or in front of kellys island. You’ll bump into somewhere. Best of luck.
    cdemeyes

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.