Oil Filter

• Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

I have a 2001 Merc 75 horse 4 stroke, I’m trying to find an oil filter. Does anyone know if I can get this at Fleet Farm? Any good websites to reference what I need? It has a Merc filter on it now, I’d be open to a non-Merc one price wise. Thanks!

tonyscully
    Hastings, MN

Check out 61 marine and sport or eriksons marine on 61 just south of Cottage Grove one of those two will be able to get you the oil,and oil filter you will need.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Thanks Tony, no offense but I did that last year and barely got away with my shirt. Trying to strech a dollar like everyone, I’m thinking I don’t need the Merc name on the filter, I’ll settle for Fram.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I did a little searching and it kinda looks like they have the old scamaroony going. The marine mfg’s might have a lock on the filters. I couldnt find where Fram makes them for outboards and if they dont I doubt anyone else would and be competetive. Perhaps someone else will find something I didint? I suggest getting the Merc filter but buying the oil elsewhere. That’s what I do every year.

the_grump
    Le Center

Your talking about saving 5 bucks a year, Buy cheaper beer or put the new Rapala back. Invest a little in that expensive engine.
    Knowing you have the correct part has to be worth something.

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

Czech,

Here is what I was able to find many different replacement filters for the OEM’s. Marine Oil Filter Cross-Reference

I hope this reference site can be of help to you. Once you get the part number you can check most auto part stores will carry these as well

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Points well taken Grump, but I will never buy cheap beer! Seriously, I just can’t see paying more for anything just to have an OEM name on it if the quality is the same with another product (it’s not the dollars so much as the principle).

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Thanks Wade! Perfect!

the_grump
    Le Center

Quote:

Points well taken Grump, but I will never buy cheap beer! Seriously, I just can’t see paying more for anything just to have an OEM name on it if the quality is the same with another product (it’s not the dollars so much as the principle).

Take a hacksaw and cut your Merc filter open, and when your done with the aftermarket filter cut that one open.
    You might be suprised.

jerry b
    western WI

Here’s what I do-first, bring up WIX filter web site. Seems they make filters for danged near everything. Find what filter they recommend, write it down and then go to your chosen filter brand and cross reference the WIX brand to what you want. I crossed mine over to an atv filter for my Yammi. jerr

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Ok, here’s the deal. Hit FF on the way home tonight, got the Quicksilver lower unit stuff, 5 quarts of Valvo 10w-30, and a Quicksilver ATV filter that matched the specs. Great advice on cutting one open, quick final determination doing that! I walked out for around $35, last year it was close to $100 at the marina for the same. I’m all for quality and will figure that out filter wise by cutting, just not willing to pay for a logo on the same product. Kind of like water heaters, last I checked there were 2-3 plants nation wide that make them, and 20 different prices and logos for the same units. Thanks all, I do appreciate the feedback.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Update: Looks like the atv filter cross won’t work (it threads, but is not as tall as the OEM). I’ll spring for the Merc one at this point. The lower unit stuff and oil are going in as is. Sure is purdy under the hood! I have the fever, and I need a little more cow bell! See you on the Croix this weekend.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

And yet another reason why I was looking for alternatives to the ‘marine’ stores. I just made a run to those said places, all closed at 530 or 600. Nice for those that work day jobs and want to get a boat on the water this time of year. Ah well, I’ll be fine after a few, thankfully I have Friday off so can give them some money in these tight economic times, but wait, they are probably closed for the holiday too? Go figure.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Buy 2 filters when you are there, always good to have a spare Then next time you can change it whenever you want, and pick up 2 more filters when you have time.

Jami

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Ok, one last post to prove a point then I’m done, I promise.

Spark plugs at the ‘marine’ store = $16.10. APIECE! Not kidding!
    Same OEM NGK plugs at the auto parts store = $4.99. Needless to say, I grabbed the imported case of beer on my way home.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Did I say one last post? I hope I don’t get banned! She’s all done, looks good with the new radio and antenna. Never did get out last weekend, Easter took the front seat, banked it with the fam for those weekends coming. Thanks all for your input, as always I appreciated it. Root, I got the antenna soldered on my own, but a special thanks to you for offering to help!

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

looks good Czech, let me know if you ever need a co-pilot!

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Will do neighbor! Let’s stay in touch?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.