The BEST Pickled Pike recipe ever!

• mike t
    St Paul, MN

I thought with tip-up season upon us, I’d share my grandfathers recipe for pickled pike. I’ve given this as holiday gifts for 10 years or so, since he moved to texas in the winter and no longer ice fishes. Seriously, this is the best I’ve ever tried, I’ve converted non believers into pickled pike addicts. Gramps had it dialed!

Cut pike into bite size. no need to de-bone, unless it’s a monster. Put fish in plastic pail or tupperware, use 5/8c salt per qt of fish. Cover with white vinegar and refrigerate for 5-6 days, stirring daily. Remove fish from brine, rinse for 1/2 hour under cold water. This is important to remove salt. When cleaned, put into qt widemouth mason jars, alternate fish with some thin lemon slices and thinly sliced white onions. Throw a garlic clove in if your feeling brave!

The magic sauce as follows: makes 2qt jars worth. 2c sugar, 2c vinegar, 4 bay leaves, 1tsp whole pepper corn, 1tsp whole allspice, 2tsp whole mustard seed, 1tsp whole cloves. Boil for 5 minutes to reduce sugar, COOL sauce (IMPORTANT not to cook the pike) and pour over the fish/onion/lemon. Ready the next day. gets better with age.

1 2-footer makes about 2qt’s or so. Best served with sharp chedder, good crackers and a cool lienies.

Enjoy.

Big (pickled) Pike Mike

kevinneve
    Devils Lake ND area

Try draining off all the juice when their done and adding sour cream.

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

Hey Thanks for the recipe Mike…
    I was just going to dig through my stuff to find my old recipe…I think I will give this a Go!!!

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

Thanks Mike!

About the time Lake Geneva freezes over (if it does) momma should be well enough for me to venture out for some pike to try your recipe on.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Here is another good recipe. simple to make.
    4 c. white vinegar
    4 c. distilled water
    2 large onions [sliced thin]
    3 Tbs.pickling spice
    1/2 c. pickling salt
    1 1/2 c. sugar
    1 sliced lemon [optional]
    1 dried cayenne pepper [optional]
    combine in a 1 gal. glass jar. Fill to the top with raw fish. Let stand a room temp. for 48 hrs. Remove pepper and refrigerate. serve with previously metioned condiments.

carptracker
    Missouri

Thanks for the recipes. I’d bet these would be good with Asian carp too. I’m going to try it. The bones might be too big to dissolve in large fish, though.

Thanks again

mike t
    St Paul, MN

no on the pickling salt, just good old table variety.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.