Advice on Locating Creek Chubs

Hey guys,

Im looking for a little help on locating some creek chubs. Over the past week, I have had very little sucess in my efforts to find any. I’ve tried few creeks that I’ve been told hold Creekies, but I can’t seem to get anything to show for my efforts, whether it be via minnow trap or rod & reel. I never knew it would be this tough to catch minnows.

Is it too early to catch chubs? Any specific bottom content/creek structure you look for?

I realize that a good chub spot is seldom shared, so i’m just looking for a couple of hints on where to start my search.

drew-evans
    rochester MN

deep holes, small bridges seem to be a good starting point for me. funnels the water creating a nice hole. try corn…… or traps.

vern
    Richfield, MN

I think it’s a little early. I would start checking the creeks in 2-3 weeks. Normally, I don’t see suckers or chubs until mid-April. That’s been my experience fishing Minnehaha Creek in the Mpls. area over many years. Most creeks are too high right now also. When the levels drop a little bit, you should be able to walk the creek & sight fish for them. Creek chubs are aggressive & easy to catch on panfish jigs or a small hook with a piece of worm, corn or Power Nibble.

MoreShells
    Eastman

All the trout streams I used to fish as a kid. Suger Creek, Pine Creek, Plum Creek.

duckhuntrrus
    Lexington Ne

I have been catching them for over a month now, but the weather has been fairly warm down here. Check near bridges as the others have said.

mrwalleye
    MN

dont take them from the trout stream unless you want a very expensive ticket
    if you want to try some of the streams in trout country get a free stream map from the DNR and only net or trap them in non trout streams

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

dont take them from the trout stream unless you want a very expensive ticket
    if you want to try some of the streams in trout country get a free stream map from the DNR and only net or trap them in non trout streams

Unless trout season is open, correct? I think you can take creek chubs out of a designated trout stream if it is open season. Not 100% sure about that though…

mrwalleye
    MN

from page 21 of the 2008 fishing regs

Taking minnows or leeches from designated trout waters,except under special permit is prohibited.

not worth the risk

larry_haugh
    MN

I think your a couple weeks early yet. Give the creeks a chance to warm a little and levels to drop and they should start turning on.

For the fisherman in NE thats been getting them for a month now. Any idea on the water temps in your area?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Time of year makes a diff. I just checked a creek hole that is overcrowded with minnows during summer but had nothing in it now.

channelcatben
    South Minneapolis

Chowdski- did I see you at Lake Hiawatha yesterday? I was just leaving, and ran into some guys looking for creek chubs.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I have found (Like Willow Cats) when guys have a good Creek Chub location they guard it fervently! These locations are like striking gold if you hit the Mother Lode!\You need to get out and do some exploring.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Small rural creeks that run through fields, I don’t know if the timbered creeks have any. Around small bridges and watch for drainage tile or where culverts empty into that creek. I’ve never caught chubs in medium size and large creeks, its always been those small creeks even if thier just a couple feet wide and you’d think minnows weren’t even there.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

Lots of good tips.. but as said earlier..

Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too early. Depending on water temps, best luck will be end of april early may.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.