Used Boats

• PrescottRob
    Minnesota, Ramsey, St.Paul

I was wondering if anyone could inform me of where I can buy a used boat and trailer. Looking for a 14ft alumnacraft or so from 500$ or less. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Rob

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I don’t know what the prices are but Smitty’s Marine in Lake City, Mn. has a bunch of used boats for sale. Thanks, Bill

BretN

Because those older used 14′ don’t have a lot of value left, some guys won’t put them in the bigger papers because it’s too expensive. One exception being the Pioneer Press thrifties section of the want ads is pretty cheap. I’d keep an eye on that as small boats do pop up on there regularly, as well as smaller local papers where running an ad for a $500-700 boat/trailer isn’t too expensive. Resorts will sometimes get rid of their rental fleets too, so call around to some of the bigger resorts and see. Of course, be careful there as some used rental boats are in good shape and some are beat real bad.

One of my biggest concerns if buying this time of year is that you couldn’t put the boat in the water and make sure it’s water tight. You do not want a leaky aluminum boat, that’s one mistake you only make once trust me. But if the boat is clean and looks tight and the owner says it doesn’t leak, I might be ok not water testing it.

There are lots and lots of 14-16 aluminum boats in MN and most don’t see the water very often. That means there’s plenty of nice ones out there, just be patient. Also, if you can stretch your budget to $750-1000 it will more than double your options. My buddy bought an older 16′ Lund at a garage sale w/ a new trailer under it for $700 a number of years ago. The boat is a retired rental boat, but it doesn’t leak. he had to put in new wood for the bench seats, but other than that and a coat of paint it’s had no maintenance and no problems. With only one person it will plane out w/ a 7.5 hp motor and gets around ok w/ 2 people. A 15 hp motor makes those 14-16 footers just about fly. Good luck. Bret

Bowfinhunter
    Wallnutters are a silly lot

Prescott Rob,
    Check your Private messages

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.