Yukon or Tahoe???

• Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I bought the boat last fall, and now I need the vehicle to tow it. I think I’ve decided on going with a Yukon or Tahoe in the 2001-2004 year range, but I want to know what to look for. I need it to pull a 19ft fiberglass boat. What engine should I look for and what can I expect for gas mileage? Any info would be appreciated.

millerman
    Red Wing, MN

Both of these will come with the 5.3 and should handle the boat real well. I got 19-21 with mine on the road no boat. I averaged around 12 pulling my lowe 17’8 backtroller. I also have a tendency to roll down the highway if you know what I mean. You could go to the suburban or Xl model and get the 6.0ltr but then you are talking 12mpg at best. You should be fine with the 5.3 in my humble opinion. Just to let you know 2003 and some 2004 models had trouble with the gauge cluster going wacko.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

The engine that you will want is the 5.3. It will have plenty of power. The other thing it consider is a Suburban or a Yukon XL. The only reason I mention this to you is that the prices were very similar wen I was shopping last summer. The ride of the longer wheelbase was very noticeable and I think you will also feel a difference when you are hauling your boat. I can’t remember the excact rear axle I have in my Surburban, but it is the most common one.

FDR

Doug Bonwell
    Cedar Falls IA

Francisco and I have about the same rigs. 5.3 v8 pulls my 18.5 Crestliner weekly and a 619 Ranger last year out to South Dakota. Did I mention it is an 03 Suburban with 150,000 young miles on it and gets 12-13 pulling a boat, 16-19 cruising. Love it!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

I got 19-21 with mine on the road no boat.

That’s more than I’ve ever heard anyone claim. I think one might be able to get 17-18 freeway, but throw in some city driving and 13-15 is more realistic.

I was looking at the same vehicles last year. I ended up with an ’01 Sequoia. I just looked up some EPA ratings. My truck is rated 14 city and 17 highway. In comparison, an ’03 Tahoe with the 5.3 is rated 14 city and 18 highway. Realistically, I average about 13-14 doing mostly short trips in town (mainly 6 miles back and forth to work). Out on the highway, I have touched 18 a few times. I don’t really keep track when I tow the boat (I don’t want to know ). That should give you some idea of real-world mileage.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

If you touch twenty mile per gallon, consider yourself lucky. Pulling a boat, you might get 14.
    You will want a 5.3L
    Look for a 3.73 rearend, anything different and you will suffer with either worse gas mileage or little or no pulling power.
    Do not forget to look at trucks with a topper. I would hate to see you after a long trip home from pheasant hunting when your pup got sprayed from a skunk.
    Than again maybe I would

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I had a 99 Yukon with the 5.7 liter engine. I now have an 06 Yukon XL with the 5.3. Both engines have plenty of power to pull standard fishing boats. Gas milage between the Yukon and XL model won’t be noticible. I highly recommend going with the longer wheel base for pulling things. An additional bonus is the extra storage room you’ll have even if your using the 3rd row seat. I’ve experienced similar milage to what others have said. I don’t think I’ve ever seen more than 20 mpg though. (maybe coasting down a great big hill).

minnesota_tom
    Grand Meadow, MN

I have an ’03 Yukon that has averaged right at 12 mpg since I have had it. I know that’s not great, but I only have about a mile to go to work too. Last year, we got right at 15 mpg going to Cass Lake and back pulling the boat. If I am on the hwy at all, it gets closer to 15 mpg. I also like being able to use E-85 when the price difference makes it worth while. It is also the most comfortable vehicle I have ever had. I would recomend the third row seating even if you don’t think you will need it. It’s hard to find a car these days that you can take 6 adults in and be comfortable.
    Tom

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

I was looking for the same thing last year.Ended up buying a Suburban instead.They go for about the same price and have a little better ride and more room and same mileage.5.3 is standard and the 6.0 in the 3/4 ton is tough on gas.3.73 axel is better than the 3.42.The code for the axel is listed in the glove box on the code sticker.Gas mileage 15-17 Hwy and about 12 pulling my boat.20 would be nice but it must have been a long steep hill

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

I own a 2002 Tahoe with 5.3 and pull 2900#s of boat. Does a nice job even on the steep hills coming off the river. Fuel economy dropped about 15% when I started using fuel with ethanol. I typically run premium, non ethanol when pulling the boat but not always. The non ethanol gives me slightly better economy but of coarse I pay more for it too. I can get 18 on the highway, no boat, but generally more like 16-17 in all around driving, a little city and some highway. I like the short wheelbase for ease of parking trailers, and parking ramps. I had a Silverado 5.7L with topper before this (short box) and like this thing tons better. It holds the same as the short Silverado box, yet is much much easier to load/unload, and everything stays clean, even on gravel roads. Yes..the hunting dog could be an issue but I still prefer the Tahoe.

Don Miller
    Onamia, MN

I believe the late 90’s and early two thousand model Chev & GMC 1/2 ton trucks (Suburban & P/U.) were prone to transmission problems. My 99 Suburban went out at 80K miles and cost $2,500 for a full overhaul. Brother in law had same story on an 02 Suburban at 50 K miles and also had lesser transmission problems on a 2000 GMC 1/2 to P/U. I do not know the cut off date for this problem ending. I am not a mechanic and your mileage may vary, but it would be my first question to the seller on one of these. I would be looking for one that already had the overhaul with the upgrades.

danno34

If you touch twenty mile per gallon, consider yourself lucky. Pulling a boat, you might get 14

What slider said

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

Its not uncommon to have trany problems in an overdrive trany.But keep in mind if you are towing run it in drive instead of overdrive or use the tow haul if your vehicle has it.Also an occasional fluid and filter change is cheap insurance if towing a lot.I dont like the trany flushes and prefer just to drop the pan and replace the filter and fluid.What little is left in the torque converter is no big deal.Ill be doing mine in the near future.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Thanks for all of the info guys and anymore you might have. Theres a long list of reasons I decided on the SUV over the truck. BTW, my dog is way too smart to get sprayed by a skunk. wood

The XL and Suburban are similarly priced, so I might have to take a look at them too. If I get one does it mean I have to start having kids too?

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

I can tell you from expierience that kids and women are way more expensive than used trucks

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Quote:

I can tell you from expierience that kids and women are way more expensive than used trucks

I will 2nd that. But that is only because I have to buy two of everything now. She likes to fish too!

FDR

jdoely

“If I get one does it mean I have to start having kids too?”

Slowdown… Try not to get ahead of yourself, you are still missing the major part of that equation What a Lucky lady she will be….

jhs426
    Illinois ,Lake

With American in such bad shape and in order to keep our country a better one I would suggest you buy American, The best pickup made for the last 25 years has Been the Ford F150. Look at the XLT extended cab for room and it comes with a 300HP engine and gives pretty good mileage.

hookem
    Hastings,Minn.

Quote:

I have an ’03 Yukon that has averaged right at 12 mpg since I have had it. If I am on the hwy at all, it gets closer to 15 mpg. It is also the most comfortable vehicle I have ever had. I would recomend the third row seating even if you don’t think you will need it.

Ditto
    We have an ’01 Tahoe and I would have to agree the gas mileage is horrible at best. 11 MPG in the winter and 12.5 in the summer. On a long trip we have gotten 15.5 with a tail wind. I think the 3.73 rear end is the standard ratio. I have the autoride option and while it will re-level the back end with a boat on it, without towing anything the ride is pretty rough. To the guys that are getting 20? on the highway. How the heck are you doing it? I don’t have a heavy foot and I can’t get close to that.

outdoor_guy
    Norway,Michigan (In DA UP)

I own a 02 Tahoe. 5.3 with 3.73 axle. Be sure to get towing package. It changes shift points and allows the motor to perform well under a load. 18-19 Hwy. 12 pulling a 1900 # Boat. GREAT VEHICLE

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.