Slip Bobber Walleye Rig Line????

• jimmy wallner
    St. Paul, Minnesota

What do all you guys prefer?? I have been running Trilene XT in 4 pound and one rod and 6 pound XT on the other, in the green color.. It seems to work ok, but the line seems to coil terrible and get almost like a lumpy feeling and look to it..

I also ran 4 pound Fireline with a foot of Vanish leader and did not like that at all.. And suggestions would help..

I running 7 foot Fig Rig Pete Harsh Tourney Series Rods on Shimano Stradic and Sahara 2500 and 1500 reels..

mrwalleye
    MN

I use 4Lb Fireline to a 3′ vanish leader and have no probs.
    the mistake that most walleye guys make is they try and use too small of a float.
    I use a BIG float and a 1/2 oz egg sinker to balance it out.

my rig goes like this.
    The stop knot, the big float, 1/2 oz egg sinker, bead, a good swivel, 3′ of 6lb vanish, 1/8 oz ball head jig.
    if I need more or less weight I just use a bigger or smaller jig or add split shot to the leader.
    this system works great and it gets you down fast

LeonHoule
    Minnesota

I use 6# or 8# XL on the spool with a 3′ leader of 4# or 6# XT. On the leader I place the split shot plus the hook/jig and when I bobber fish. It works great !!

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

I don’t do a ton of slip bobbering but I learned a few tricks from several different pros while fishing as a co-angler at the PWT at Devil’s Lake a couple of years ago. I use an 8’6″ Med. Lite rod spooled with 10 lb. superline. The longer rod is nice for picking up slack line you may not notice under the water. It will leave you with plenty of room to get a good hook set. I keep the bobber stop and bobber on the superline and then tie a barrel swivel to that. I like to run a 18 to 24″ leader with 6 lb florocarbon and use a jig. There are times when I will use a hook and use a couple of splitshots for weight. I also tend to stick with the smaller bobbers. I want the fish to have as little resistance as possible. I like using the light leaders because they can be broke off in snags without losing your entire set up or having to move in on a spot in your boat and disrupting the fish. Most of the slip bobber fishing I do is in timber.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

I use 6# or 8# XL on the spool with a 3′ leader of 4# or 6# XT. On the leader I place the split shot plus the hook/jig and when I bobber fish. It works great !!

I do a ton of slip bobbering and I use the recipe above, but I use about 3 feet of 4# Flourocarbon as a leader. XL has much less memory than XT. You don’t need XT with slipping as you are not dragging it over rocks, etc.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Either 8 lb XL or Vanish in 8 lb. I never run a leader, whats the advantage ??? Unless you have a bunch of jigs pre-rigged and have a snap swivel, to change quickly. I do, do this when Lindy rigging, but Bobber, I usually have 4-5 rods rigged with different presentations/colors. Curious why the leader ???

big G

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Strictly for the teeth.

garydickmeyer
    plymouth

i would go with a four foot leader!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.