Lowrance HD’s

• tonyscully
    Hastings, MN

does anyone know if the new lowrance 7″ hd’s are worth the money, I am looking to buy a new lowrance wondering if i should go with the hd or go with the older style and get a bigger screen for the money.

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

It probably depends on what’s important to you. If I was to buy a new unit I would go with the HD because of the new GPS icons are expanded and offer a few more features plus the unit has expanded capabilities like it will be able to do side imaging with a couple add ons. You probably need to go to a store and demo one to really make your decision.

tonyscully
    Hastings, MN

do you know what the add on costs would be roughly to get side imaging or what you need to buy to get side imaging.

booner
    Rochester, MN

I was told yesterday by a Lowrance rep that the transducer for side-imaging is going to run $400 or less when it is introduced. The unit also comes with a gps puck that reads the sattelites 4 times faster than the older puck.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I was in the same position as you this offseason. After some research I decided to go with the Older style unit in a larger size screen for far less money. I was just not that impressed with the new HD models for the money. I would have had to buy one with a 5″ screen for the price range I was looking at. I ended up buying a 27C that was 2″ larger and cost me almost $250.00 less. I also did not want to be the test person on a totally new unit. Just my $.02 worth. I’m sure you will be happy what ever way you go.

hookem_9
    Hastings, MN

Same here, Bought a boat last fall, and updating the Electronics on it. With the closeout prices, I couldn’t help buy buy last years equipment, too good of prices!

jd318
    NE Nebraska

Quote:

I was told yesterday by a Lowrance rep that the transducer for side-imaging is going to run $400 or less when it is introduced. The unit also comes with a gps puck that reads the sattelites 4 times faster than the older puck.

Don’t the HD units have a built in GPS receiver? I am considering getting the HD unit myself. Problem is, I will have to update everything in the boat then.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Quote:

Don’t the HD units have a built in GPS receiver?

The new HDS units are available with an internal or an external antenna.

bob schroden
    Cold Spring, MN

Quote:

I have not seen any HD units with external antenna.
    I thought they were all internal.

I bought the HDS 5. I have used it on the ice a few times and it works great. The GPS lock on seems really fast compared to the LMS 522.
    I like the new menu system also, seems like endless options with many different overlay options as well.
    The biggest reason I upgraded is because I was having extensive problems with getting depth soundings in weed cover. I have downloaded all the upgrades with little or no improvement.
    The new HDS units have built in broadband sonar feature that has totally eliminated the shallow water weed problems.
    I have used mine in thick weeds thru the ice and it worked great.
    The real test will be when I get it mounted on the boat this spring. So far, so good!

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Quote:

Quote:

I have not seen any HD units with external antenna.
    I thought they were all internal.

From the Lowrance site under HDS High-Def Systems:

HDS Redefines ‘Ease of Use’
    Stylish and Retrofit-Ready
    New, Easier-to-Use Menu Selection
    New FlyWheel™ scroll dial and soft command keys
    High-sensitivity 16-channel GPS reception – available built-in or as external LGC-4000 module
    SolarMAX™ PLUS display for the best detail in bright sun and with wide viewing angles
    New 2-year Protection Warranty (Americas)

You many need an external antenna if you want to flush mount an HDS unit.

bob schroden
    Cold Spring, MN

Quote:

High-sensitivity 16-channel GPS reception – available built-in or as external LGC-4000 module

I stand corrected.
    I think the LGC 4000 module is a seperate purchase as a add on.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.