Car?? Wiper blades are wacky

• brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Hi,
    I have a 97 Pontiac Grand Prix that I bought for the boy. The last time it snowed, he didn’t clear the snow and ice off the wipers and they froze to the window, I think he left the wiper motor on too. The wipers seem to work fine when I turn them on, but when I turn them off they come to rest straight up and down on the windshield instead of recessing back into the hood like normal. I already tried diconnecting the battery to see if that would restart the computers memory but that isn’t working. Any ideas? Thanks!!

highpockets
    faribault

The wiper arms spun on the studs.You should be able to take them off and put them back on in the proper stopping position.

Bartt
    Somerset, WI

I don’t think that they spun on the studs. Most cars now there is only one position on the stud it can be placed. My best guess is it may have jumped some gears on the motor itself. Good luck on getting to the motor to find out as they are usually well hidden. DISCLAIMER!! I am not a mechanic, just a humble guess

If all else fails put some RainX on the windshield, and buy your kid a squirt bottle and squeegee.

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Ok, I took the nut off and manually placed the wipers back into the off position, but now the wipers seem to try and engage but only move about an inch. I think the motor is shot now?

big_g
    Isle, MN

Brian, take the wiper arms all the way off and see if they then function. If not, its the motor, either stripped or shot. Good luck

big G

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Ok, I took off the nuts and turned the wipers on. The wiper motor seems to work just fine and smooth, but when I put the nuts back on and tighten, the wipers don’t move and lock up it seems. Motor stripped?

packingheat
    Reads Landing Mn

Time for a new motor, I’ve seen on a few Pontiacs

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

if you are tightening the nut with the arms on and it stalls ,I would look at the wiper arm transmission ,,,, That is the part the wipers connects to(the little post with nut on). They run from the motor to each arm post.they have a pivot point that wears out after long use.

Any salvage yard should have them, just buy the whole unit that connects from the motor to the wipers, you ask for a wiper arm transmission they should know what you want .

dan-thiem
    Zumbro Falls Mn.

Just an idea but maybe check the wiper motor crank arm. I sell parts in a GM store and have sold a few of them because of the same issue you explained.

pockets
    Golden Valley, MN

I’m also going with the broken tab on the wiper linkage.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.