say it aint so

• highpockets
    faribault

On a recent trip to LOW,one of my fishing buddies told me story of catching a 12 lb. eye through the ice in 08′. He was approached by a fishing show who was coincidently filming not far away and asked if they could put the fish on a hook and film themseves pulling it out of the hole,he said no but did however let him hold it by the gill and pull it up as if he caught it. This fish aired on tv a short time later.On a seperate occasion on Red Lake the same show and host filmed his pile of crappies lying on the ice and susequently aired them.He was given credit to the crappies,not by name but by the town he from.My buddy freely gives up the the name of the host and show.I’m wondering how often this happens and if some of these hosts are the great fisherman they lead us to believe.

AverageSportsman
    SE MN

There is in fact a few shows out there that do practice this method. They are veiwing there shows as a “story” and not so much as informational. These shows tell their “stories” as far as a tv show goes. Whether it is the true way it occured or not.

Editing is a huge process in making shows, and telling a story. Here is an example:

When you see a hunter drawing a bow on say a deer, but you do not see the deer as they draw, and in the finished video you also saw the arrow flying towards the deer in another shot, keep in mind most shows have one camera man. They filmed the deer being shot, then afterwards, they filmed the hunter drawing the bow and edited the shot into the tv show to appear that these things happened in order. There usually is no practical way for a camera to pan over to the hunter to see him draw, then pan back and film the shot. That much movement and the deer would be gone before he could even draw his bow. Hope that makes some sense anyway. This is just an example of doing it correctly and telling a story.

The majority of the shows out there do not practice the methods you wrote about, but some do unfortunately.I know a videographer so I know for a fact some shows are re-hooking fish etc, but again, MOST shows DO NOT do this. I think it would be safe to say IDO is one that is doing it correctly

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Well…I can’t speak for any show..including Ido because I haven’t been there.

One show approached me wanting me to catch a flat the night before to ensure there was a fish to film. When I explain that it would be hard to keep something like that in a live well…if it would fit, it was suggested that I use an anchor and rope like a stringer, then tie the loose end to a tree. Although I wanted to do the show, killing the fish was too great of a price in my mind.

EDIT: But I did seriously consider it!

Now on the flip side to that…I feel as long as the show is conveying what normally works…”keeping it real” so to speak is ok. The darn fish don’t have the same schedule as the paid per hour camera man. It’s where each show draws the line.

An example would be on one show I did, we landed a couple fish, one was 31 pounds if I recall. I made the line out alarm go off like a catfish would have..had we had a camera in place when the fish bite. That was fake…but it still was real.

My opinion only.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Don’t know if your story is true.

However, I watched 4, well known PWT pros, who were fishing for fun on the Rainy River one fall many years back. One of them caught a “larger” walleye.
    All four took turns taking several different posses with the fish. After the fish was presumed dead with close to a half-hour photo shoot, they kept it. Assumed they ate it.

Nothing wrong with it. Their sponsors are looking for pictures with their sponsors baits hanging out of the mouth of the fish.

It is all advertising and props.

timmy

I am very, very curious.

Tim

stuart
    Mn.

Happens alot more than you think.

phishirman
    Madison, WI

I had a buddy do a photo shoot with a popular outdoors magazine who wanted a picture with an eye caught on a jigging rap. First one bit on a tip up so they pulled the hook out put in the rap and got their photos.

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

Lying is stupid no matter how it happens. Posing with fish caught on different baits, rehooking fish, etc. All too commercial for me. I don’t like it. That is just my opinion though. I’ll bet it would be different if I was being paid to catch fish on “X” lure.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Over inflated egos make people do a lot of ridiculous things.Pretty common in this sport..

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Ditto with bridges.

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

This thread makes my head hurt
    Maybe those shows should have disclaimers-such as “THIS IS FICTION”, or “someone else caught my fish for me” or “we rehook fish and cast them out to fight again” or “we really had a horrible day fishing, but this is Tv-so it’s ok” or ” I only play a doctor on Tv, or in this case, I only play a fisherman on Tv”
    Guess anything goes–or anything’s ok when it comes to making a buck these days. No wonder we Americans don’t believe a damn thing anymore. Gotta hand it to the shows that promote fair chase and the guys that try and do it right.
    Maybe all those posers should be shipped out to LA, that town is full of pretenders willing to fake anything for a buck.
    I want to know how many walleyes and saugers were caught on the Mississippi with ringies and paddletails and then said to be caught on powerbait or gulp????? But, then again sponsorship, sponsorship, sponsorship.
    I realize this is not a perfect world, but what ever happened to just fishing for the pure wonder and enjoyment??

Sheesh, give me a break.

Jeremy

gary_wellman
    South Metro

could be worse ya know.
    They might come up and say someday that pro-wrestling is fake! I have heard rumors!

Guys,
    Tuning in on TV to watch fishing isn’t mostly about “learning” something. It is about entertainment. We want to learn something, but we also want to see big fish getting hooked. You also got to consider who is paying the bills.

I’ll admit, for about 2 years after I watched those PWT guys do what they did, I was furious………Then it dawned on me…….I was about that furious too, when I found out wrestling wasn’t real!!!

Bartt
    Somerset, WI

Guys,
    Tuning in on TV to watch fishing isn’t mostly about “learning” something. It is about entertainment. We want to learn something, but we also want to see big fish getting hooked. You also got to consider who is paying the bills.

I agree. I mostly want to learn something but also be entertained. Show me what works, how it works, where it works and why. But it would be pretty boreing without a fish caught. I also would’t want to pay for a camera man to sit for a long period of time waiting for the next bite.

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

What???? Gary, say it ain’t so about the wrestling.
    If we are talking entertainment, well let’s get some exotic dancers in the boat along with those clowns “playing a fisherman on Tv”. We could even have a dance number along the lines of High School Musical.
    But, why am I beating my head against the wall on this issue, we live in a world of Ponzi schemes and Dr. Phil being passed off as a real doctor.

Just very difficult guys when you find out some of your heros growing up ended up being nothing but frauds.

My hat goes off to those who are trying to do it right, it has to be hard in an industry based on the ‘value of entertainment and gaining favor of sponsors”.

Jeremy

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Quote:

Just very difficult guys when you find out some of your heros growing up ended up being nothing but frauds.

Ya mean guys like “HULK HOGAN”!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.