If I can anyone can…

• sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

I quit smoking one year ago today.
    I actually told myself that I was not quiting, I was just not buying anymore smokes. I just have not bummed one for the last year either.

Was it easy? NO.

Do I feel better or healthier? Not really.

Do I still think about having one? Most days.

Do I miss it? Yes even as I type this part of me still wants one.

Did it get easier with each passing day? Yep, it went from thinking about having one constantly to a brief passing thought.

This post is not just about me and I did not post it for a pat on the back. I know others on IDO have thought about quitting and might need some support from the rest of us at IDO. Sometimes people succeed and sometimes they relapse but each day without one is one more day that you get to enjoy fishing or family, well at least that’s what they say.
    I am planning on rewarding myself by calling Dean at Evert’s and ordering a new St. Croix Legend Xtreme.

How did/would you reward yourself?

Now I would like to hear how long you have quit smoking OR chewing.

pool-8-lax
    La Crosse Wisconsin

2 years at the end of March. Baught my self a new Crestliner FH 1850. Best thing i have ever done dont miss them one bit. congrats on the year

jim-bailey
    Clinton County Iowa

16 months for me. I decided I wasn’t going to smoke in my new boat and it worked.

joe fish
    Inver Grove/ Malmo, Mn.

I Love smoking when in the boat. Going to be a hard not to have a heater after landing that big eye!

Don Miller
    Onamia, MN

32 years ago (just after Elvis died) I went on a BWCA trip and on a whim decided not to buy any cigarettes on the way up there. I smoked 2 packs a day. It was a rainy miserable time, but the 4 days cold turkey did the trick. Another 2 weeks of misery and I was home free. And I have always offered the same advise as you. If I can quit, anyone can quit.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

I Love smoking when in the boat. Going to be a hard not to have a heater after landing that big eye!

I felt the same way, now I just grab a stick of gum or a piece of beef jerky.
    My fixes were in the truck when driving and while fishing, two things I will not EVER give up.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Boy is your timing somthing. Going on 3 days without a chew. 10 years ago I wold my self afer 1 year without a drink I would stop. Then is was 5. Well….. This is my third attempt. Feel free to bust my rocks if you need. I want to make this one stick.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Don, I’m sure that no one would have wanted to share a canoe or camped on the same island with me during my first few days.
    32 years

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

Feel free to bust my rocks if you need. I want to make this one stick.

I quit for my kids NOT for me. I am sure that I would still be smoking if it was not for them.
    I could bust your chops, not that it would matter as only you can do it.
    I can think of three reason for you to quit though.
    Your girls

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

There’s not much that I do that isn’t for them.

livetofishmn
    Mankato, Mn

Congrats on the 1 year! You should be dam proud of yourself!

I’m on day 13 without a dip and I’m feeling great. It sure is nice not to have the cancer in a can controlling me. Its getting better and better every day. I chewed for 3 yrs. I tried quitting a few times before, but the problem was that I wasnt quitting for myself. I quit because other people wanted me to quit or it seemed they wanted me to. This times different, plus I’m a member of an online quit group and that is really helping. Okay thats enough about my story.

I plan on buying a GPS with a Lakemaster chip in a couple months with the money saved. I have already saved over 40 bucks! Anybody wanna hook me up with good deal???

If you are thinking about kickin the chew, head over to Kill The Can

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

I tried quitting a few times before, but the problem was that I wasnt quitting for myself. I quit because other people wanted me to quit or it seemed they wanted me to.

It’s easy for other people to tell you to quit, only you can make yourself do it though

Keep it up, just get through one day at a time and soon you’ll be celebrating a year and have your new GPS w/chip

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

Quit a 3 pack a day habit on October 14, 1978 cold turkey. If I had not I would probably be an ash today. The word is ASH!

btomlin
    Albia, IA

Be careful if you like to have a beer….

I quit in Oct. 2000 w. hypnosis. Started again last summer while on the lake and having a few beers with some buddies of mine. all it took was “one bum” and now I’m the bum!

Need to kick it again Big Time….my family deserves better.

Ted Wedul
    holmen, wi

Quote:

Boy is your timing somthing. Going on 3 days without a chew. 10 years ago I wold my self afer 1 year without a drink I would stop. Then is was 5. Well….. This is my third attempt. Feel free to bust my rocks if you need. I want to make this one stick.

You can do it!!

May 2nd, 1999, I quit cold turkey!! Still miss it. First it was always, now just at times. Used to have dreams about chewing for at least a few years. Know if I bought a tin today it would be gone tomorrow though… Cold turkey was my only way…and will power to say no more!!

Slider is right. I have a buddy who’s mom just passed away. Smoked many years. Lung cancer that lead to liver and brain cancer. You never want to see what he saw is all he would tell me. Early 60s. Too early!! He is ANGRY and resentful that she would make a choice to smoke…knowing that there was an increased risk of cancer and death that comes along with it. He is having a really hard time and it is a result of a poor decision his parent made. Sad deal all around.

Congrats to all that quit!!

Ted

tomberg
    Rochester,MN.

Ive been taking chantix for a week and this is my last week of smokes… cig’s taste bad now,just the habit to break..My doctor called smoking”a slow suicide” really got me thinking…good luck…

Ted Wedul
    holmen, wi

I wasn’t losing my mind… Here is one of the symptoms of quitting dip and chew from the kill the can website:

Dip Dreams – you’ve been dipping for years sometimes decades. Your brain is used to thinking a certain way with a certain amount of nic in it… once that’s taken away many people have “dip dreams”. These dreams range from mild to incredibly intense. Many times people will wake up after a dip dream and feel terrible because they really think that they caved. Many have reported that they can taste and smell the dip. Never fear… it’s only a dream.

That is too funny!! I thought I was alone on this one!!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I was a classic nicotine junkie. Pack or two a day along with a tin of Kodiak every other day or so. Quit many times. Sometimes for up to a year. I did go cold turkey sometime around late 1999 or early 2000. It was tuff, but stuck to it. It was probably 2 years down the road until the occasional cravings went away. Put on 10 pounds that never went away. Took at least 6 months before my mood mellowed and food actually started to taste good again.

Funny thing is, my mouth still waters when I catch a whif from a fresh tin of chew! It’s a terrible addiction. Will control you more powerfully than cocaine or heroin. Only difference is those 2 drugs will kill you quicker.

-J.

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

Quote:

Be careful if you like to have a beer….

I have passed that test many, many, many, many, many times often in the same night! Many were the times that I had to start over for just that reason before it finally took! It will be 31 years next October!

rmartin
    United States

Somewheres around 40 years ago, do not remember the exact date. Was up to 2-3 packs a day. Cold turkey and then I put myself through everything that would make me want to smoke intentionally. If I thought I wanted a butt, I would go smell a dirty ashtray, this should put you off the urge real quick. Congrats on the 1 year and good luck to all who try.

broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

explains that attitude at ball last year j/k. great to hear that. I did not even notice. I must have just got so used to seeing it that it was out of sight out of mind. Great job Ron!! .

I quit chewing going on maybe 3 years? do not even remember as time flies. The last chew was at the Mille Lacs GTG remember? me calling you on your way up to get me a tin since I went through one on the Thursday to Friday I was there. NOw if I could quit the I would have a new boat in a few years.

agaion great to hear Ron.

Broncs

hookem
    Hastings,Minn.

My wife smoked for about 15 years. At age 30 she went to a Chiropractor and got acupressure to quit. She was smoke free for 13 years until my 16 year old daughter told us she was pregnant. Now almost 13 years later she still smoking. I have made gentle hints to her( so I don’t get her pissed off) that I want her around when we retire, but she still hasn’t really tried to quit again. Hard for a non-smoker to really grasp the stranglehold nicotine has on a person. My son has for 10 years and my daughter started smoking when she was in her early 20’s quit a few years later, started again, and is now smoke free again. Hopefully this time she can keep off them. Now if I could just get the wife & son to quit again.

BowedUp

Congrats to all the quitters and encouragement to those who are thinking about it!

I started with Redman and Levi Garrett and dipped Skoal for 34 yrs – it was less than $10/tube when I started. Last 8-10 yrs it was nearly constant – used about a can/day. Only time I was not dipping was when I was sleeping.

Finally quit with the help of a substitute product that tasted exactly like Skoal. Went through several months of transition – 90% Skoal/10% substitute; 80/20; 70/30 etc. until I was using the substitute w no real dip. After I kicked the nicotine then I had to kick the habit of chewing which was much easier by itself. Been 14 months now with neither. Never thought I could actually do it….

Killed me last year to fish without it – especially if someone else in the boat was dipping but made it through.

teedsman
    Cottage Grove, MN

Congrats to all who have quit. I’m on year #14!! I had a pack-and-a-half habit going at the time and just quit! I found it helpful to tell those people close to me that I was quitting. They helped me a lot and, of course, I didn’t want to let them down!
    Good luck to you all. I know you can beat it!

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Congrats to everyone who has conquered their addiction(s)!

I have never smoked or chewed tobacco and have absolutely no idea what it’s like to be addicted or how hard it is to quit (I don’t drink coffee either). I used to think it’s just a matter of will power, but I now understand that there’s a lot more to it than that. All I can say is find a way to quit and then give yourself a reason to never start again.

Bartt
    Somerset, WI

I quit chewing for 60 days a couple of years ago to qualify for “non tobacco” life insurance. It was easy and didn’t miss it. I started again after I had a couple drinks because it tasted so good. I have been trying to quit again only this time it seems so much harder!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.