What Would You Do?

• Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

So, as you may be aware, the warming weather is starting to get the walleyes biting. Down here in Iowa, there is a little river that is doing really well right now as far as the bite goes. Every day I go down to my spot, I see all the regulars and an ever growing amount of people I’ve never seen before. Anyway, as I was fishing on Monday, I was throwing jigs with minimal luck- the river raised and got really muddy. Some yahoo next to me throws out his jig and pulls a 29 inch, 11 pound walleye in backwards. First thing he does is stick his hand in the gill and got it bleeding, then runs it up to his car. I was furious with him, telling him that he needs to put it back and asking him why he’d mount a snagged walleye? He didn’t seem to get it, so I seen a DNR officer pull in and I told her that the gentlemen in the red Blazer snagged an 11 pound walleye and kept it. Long story short, she stops his car, finds the fish, and confiscates it from him and writes him a ticket. So, what would you do if someone snagged an 11 pound walleye right by your feet? At first I felt that maybe I stuck my nose in where it didn’t belong, but the more I think about it, the more that idiot just makes me mad. I guess my point is that had he caught it in the mouth, I wouldn’t have blamed him for mounting it, but just his general ignorance and disregard for the rules makes me glad I did what I did. Anyway, that is my story and I’m sticking to it.

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

I am hoping for a 10 lb. to put on the wall. It will be a rep. and the catch will go back in the water after being photographed and measured. I think what you did was right.

redneck
    Rosemount

Good for you Steve You did the right thing and it is going to take alot more people like you–and me—in the future to protect the resource that we love. Thank you for doing what you did and it is just sad the walleye had to die in spite of your effort.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

You did exactly what you should have done.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

I see what you’re saying with sticking your nose into someones business. But from the sounds of it he really had no idea that it’s illegal to keep a fish that’s snagged. If you told and warned him and he still kept it he’s a bum. I think you did the right thing.

This one ticket will have a ripple affect in the area and will most certainly educate people on the laws if nothing else. And this guy probly won’t be keeping any more that were snagged as well.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

You were understandably upset and a CO happens to pull up. Sounds like you did what most would do. You dont need an excuse to support game laws. If that guy is stupid enough to break the law in front of others he deserves to be busted. If he didnt know he also deserves to be busted. You start giving slack to these types of people and the problems will only get worse and more frequent.

mark strickland
    Hager City WI

Steve,
    The rules are the rules. You did the right thing. It’s never going to be good when someone breaks the rules. In this case the fish is lost and people get upset. I would say to you, thank you and that you did the right thing. Not everyone appriceates the river for what wonderful things it offers us. But one person now GETS IT alot more!
    Mark

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

The rules are the rules. You did the right thing.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Hey Bud you are my kind of fisherman! Way to go!

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

Yes it WAS your business!!! He not only kept a fish that was caught illegally, he deprived the fishery of a spawning female “illegally”

bosman
    DeSoto, WI

Would have done the same here

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

Good job Steve!

We need more people watching, after all there are only so many CO’s and so many of us. It will not stop everyone, but it will keep them thinking.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

You done good!

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Good Job Steve, you did exactly what many of us would have done…

DrewH
    s/w WI.

Ditto!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

The guy should consider himself lucky. I know plenty of guys who may have just opened up a can of whoop-azz!

-J.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Well done Steve!

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I think that he must have had a really hard life and we (you) should have taken this opportunity to show some compassion to your fellow man.

Change.

big_g
    Isle, MN

And in comes a shot from the right…..

big G

redneck
    Rosemount

I think you mean the left—the far left

big_g
    Isle, MN

Uh huh, DaveB the “lefty”….

big G

zach_bindert
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

You did good Steve. Your brother and I debated about this last night, of course I won . If you’re going to keep an 11 pounder you snagged and reeled in backwards, you might as well go down there with a pound of lead and giant treble hooks. Where is the Sport? Steve hopefully I will see you this weekend

walleye_wisdom
    Big Sky Country Helena, MT (Adel, IA home)

You did the right thing of course!

Now, just to get this clear, where EXACTLY did this infraction occur, and at what time……

iansdad123
    waterloo,ia

good call and help me narrow down my choice-what color wasnt catching fish??

garydickmeyer
    plymouth

the guy is very lucky he didn’t run into the chief!!!!!

haney
    Hawkeye, Iowa

Steve, you did the right thing. It sucks the fish died and was used as “evidence”. I hope there are more fish like that to come.

twoskneb
    Cedar Rapids, IA

So lots of new guys showin up at the hole eh ?

I’m somewhat suprised you didn’t take more drastic action and grab that piggie right from his hands…..gotta play a bit harder next time steve-o

PS Save some of them walters for me…..you trying out any of the other holes down in the city?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.