Cancun

• stuart
    Mn.

Will be going to cancun in Jan.Have any of you fished down there?AM looking for some tips on charter boats or any suggestions you would have. thanks stuart

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Made my first trip to extapa last january. Great fishing at that time. There was a web page for extapa that gave current fishing reports. Maybe cancun might have one also.
    Have fun.

clarence_chapman
    Hastings, MN Lake Isabel activist

Definetly do your homework. I used the internet to find charters that worked out of the area that we were staying. Some are better than others.
    But it makes it easier than trying to arrange it when you get down there.
    Good fishing only involves haveing a pole in your hand. Catching fish is a bonus.
    Fished in Hawaii last time I took a trip to the ocean. Only Caught 2 fish but the experience was priceless.
    Have fun. And don’t forget the sunsceen!!!!!!!!!!!
    Clarence

clarence_chapman

Thought that I would include a pic or Two

clarence_chapman

Fastest fish in the ocean

I don’t know I think it is the biggest dam shinner in the world

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

What kinda fish is that. Looks like a sail fish with out the long nose.
    Our first trip out of xtapa landed us a dozen sails in the 50 to 90 pound range. The second day the dorado where on fire with a dozen of them and 2 sails coming in. It was way cool to have a double on sails going off the back of the boat. Fish flying everywhere and us scrambling to keep them apart. Hope I get to go again this year.

b_sander
    Red Wing , MN

Now who can guess the bait he was using??

K-grub/Knuckle Ball Jig LOL

The only fishy business I would get into in Cancun … well lets just say it wouldnt happen in a boat

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

I think you should take down some Holst jigs and some Ringworms and SuperDoos, we are looking for a report when you get back. good luck. Jack.

stuart
    Mn.

Jack THere already packed. Just gotta see if they work as well in salt water.Can hardly wait to go.Will be our 25th anniversary.(sp) the fishing gods should shine for us i would think.Will post photo on my return.Stuart

clarence_chapman

Your 2/3 right.
    Its a short billed sail fish.
    A really cool fish. All the fins litterally had a slot in the body that the fins could be retracted into. So it is basically a bullet in the water.
    Had the whole family on that trip. Wife and 3 children were along.
    We had a blast. Kinda expensive though. Once in a lifetime trip with the kids.

Hey Sander, Jack………Thats a good idea. Stuart…. now we require a report.

Mike I wish that the fish were biting like that when were on the ocean. The guides were absolutely stumped. Nothing around the islands were biting.
    Next time hopefully.
    Have a good time Stuart.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Yea Chappy I remember looking at the same thing with the sail fish fins. Pretty cool. The color on these fish is awsome also. Photos just dont seem to do them justice.
    The day before we left a baot brought in a 700#+ Marlin. It was around 17′ long. It was a amazing fish and I still cannot figure out how a person could haul in a fish that size on rod and reel. I will see if I can find some photos of last years trip.

clarence_chapman

I think that in depth should start a world fishing forum. So that everyone who ventures away from the norm can tell all about it.
    How about it in-depth?
    Sound like and idea?

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Got any walleyes down there? If not you might have to bring your own! Thanks, Bill

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Contact Sea World when you get there. They take boats out everyday. Nice thing about it is you can “share” your charter if you don’t want to foot the whole bill. They take up to 6 guys out and it only cost around 90 bucks for 8 hours. It’s been a couple of years since I went. great ‘cuda fishing.

clarence_chapman

STEVEO
    Those things look nasty. If I remember correctly they have bigger teeth than our Northern Pike.
    Nice catch

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Nasty they were. I caught all those fish that day. It was rough and my shipmates all got seasick. It was just me on the rods. The second fish from the left was HUGE. The other fish look like minnows compared to it. Sorry it’s a kill photo. The mates on the boat put the meat to very good use.

stevew
    Burnsville, MN

That short-billed sailfish is amazing… I’ve never even heard of that. Are they a rare thing to catch down there?

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Quote:

Got any walleyes down there? If not you might have to bring your own! Thanks, Bill

No walleyes? Why would anybody want to go there then?

Gator Hunter

clarence_chapman

i caught that fish in Hawaii.
    But its not rare I don’t think.
    I would amagin that there are a lot of varieties of sailfish.

You can usually share a boat with other people. It’s definatly cheaper.
    Sometimes you can find a smaller charter that only takes up to 4 fisherman/women. And is just as cheap or cheaper.
    Some even guaranttee catching fish.
    I found that when I started getting queezy I would go up on the fly bridge so that you can see out over the waves. That seemed to calm my stomach. However keep in mind that its higher and the swaying of the boat is multiplied.
    My brother Phil (Chappy) is headed for Hawaii. He hasn’t said if he is going to give it a try or not.

clarence_chapman

Gator
    There are lots of cool bottom dwellers there tho. When I was in Alaska fishing Halibut we caught all kinds of different bottom dwellers. And it was just like jigging for Eyes. Just with big equipment. And a lot deeper.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

I would love to go to Alaska fishing. That would be the trip of a lifetime.

Gator Hunter

clarence_chapman

2 more years and the wife wants to go to alaska.
    Fishing is definitly on the agenda.
    We want to take a trip like that every 5 years on our anniversary.
    Really sucks to have a wife that likes to fish.
    Just kidding. It really makes it easy to plan trips.
    Time the trip right and you can get into hunting and fishing.
    Never a dull moment up there it’s really beutiful. Weird when it is still daylight at 1 in the morning tho.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.