HOW FAR NORTH????

• sonar
    Walnut, Ia

I LIVE IN SOUTHWEST IOWA, CLOSE TO THE MISSOURI RIVER, HOW FAR WOULD I HAVE TO DRIVE NORTH TO FIND SOME GOOD WALLEYE?????

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

SE Minnesota is where the Mississippi River pool 4 is. You have the Red Wing area, Lake Pepin and the Wabasha areas too. Thanks, Bill

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Hey Sonar…

I have been out on pools 9 and 10 and things are heating up pretty good. You can check out my fishing report by clicking on this link Mississippi River Pool 9

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Sonar83,

How are things in the antique capitol there in ‘ol Walnut?

Dave and Bill gave you some good info and I’ll add to it a bit. Get yourself on HWY 59 and start heading north. You’re now heading toward walleye country. You can go about 2.5 to 3 hours and get into some great walleye fishing at the Iowa Great Lakes – West & East Okoboji and Spirit Lake are OUTSTANDING walleye fisheries. The downside is the crowds. If you want to “get away” keep heading north on HWY 59 until you hit Ottertail County, MN. It takes me about 5 hours from Sioux City, so I’d say about 6.5 hours for you from Walnut (maybe 6). Goto http://www.ottertailcountry.com for some great info on the area. If you want more info on the Ottertail area, give me a yell.

By the way, I’ve heard guys do pretty good for walleye on the Little Sioux River, and in the spring Black Hawk Lake and Storm Lake can be very good walleye lakes, and only an hour or so drive for you.

Good luck,

Wade

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Sonar, Jolly got you going in the right direction. Crowds are a problem, less so if you can fish during the week. Just over the border in Mn. are some lakes that get less pressure try Loon Lake, Lake Okabeena, Talcot, or Fish Lake.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.