Quitting Chewing Tobacco

• rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

I smoked from the time I was 16, in 1966 until 1980. I decided that it was a bad habit to have so I quit and took up chewing I chewed “cope” for 12 years and when I came to my senses I cold turkeyed. Yes the jaws get sore from the gum but it is worth it. Like it was said earlier, 7 to 10 days later the urge gets weaker. Challenge yourself to stay with it. You will not believe how much better you will feel down the road. Good luck and hang in there

Dobber
    S.W. WI

yep I chewed cope for 20yrs,the way I did it was the mint leave stuff. I did the mint for a few months then I went on vacation with the wife and never took any. Been chew free for 3 years and have very little desire to do it again.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Just remember, those cravings will slowly disappear. They may seem like that they last for hours but really it is just a few minutes. With each passing craving, it gets a little easier. In all reality though, for some those cravings never completely go away.

Good Luck,
    Ron

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

QUIT???????

I have been chewing for 19 years and have tried NUMEROUS times to quit. Everything from cold turkey to baby steps.
    For me, it isn’t going to happen. Wait, I do quit everyday. I quit from the time one can is empty and I open the next one
    Good luck though
    Just remember, nobody likes a quitter

sac80410
    LaCrosse, WI.

i have quit for a year now. i chewed for 20yrs and went through over a tin a day. i quit cold turkey and used the beef jerky chew and SMOKEY MOUNTAIN HERBAL CHEW. this comes in all flavors. try it works great especially by always having something in your mouth.

brant_gilmore
    New Providence,Ia

I chewed a can a day for twenty years and got fed up with the cost and scared about cancer. I found an herbal chew that is the closest thing to copenhagen. It’s called Smokey Mountain(straight blend). Without it I don’t think I could have quit. Been clean almost two years and I’m barely chewing the fake stuff.

finman

I’ve been off the crap for about six months now- by far the hardest thing i’ve ever done! What has helped for me are those Nicorette lozenges. Pop one in, and let it stick to the roof of your mouth, they last alot longer that way. I finally stopped using those things about a week ago.

Keep your chin up- it gets better with time.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Quote:

Good luck!!

I’ve tried quitting a few times, I could make it 3-4 days, that’s it. Got the shakes, crabby, mouth was RAW from all the candy and seeds. I have to believe my mouth and health was worse off from all the other crap I was shoveling in! I gained weight in a few short days.

I gave in each time, didn’t like the way I was feeling. If you can stick with it without murdering your wife…

My wife would say, “I’m going to the store to buy you a can of snuff…I can’t take it!!” That a girl!

SO here I am, 17 years of bliss! 5 years on the bear, 12 on the cope.

Not to rub it in or anything…I just pulled a fresh can out of the freezer…NOTHING like a freezing cold pinch!!

Good luck.

BIRDDOG

Dude. That’s just wrong. Be nice BD.

molitor

Get some beef jerky chew as a substitute. maybe it’ll work haha

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

I feel you pain. I tried quitting many times over a 30 year period. All attempts were unsuccessful. This past summer I scheduled a hip replacement for December so I figured I better get back in the gym and quit chewing. This time I got help. I live in SD and contacted our “Quit Line” for help. A quit line rep called and visited with me, I scheduled a doctor appointment and a got prescription for Chantix. Through the quit line the 3-month supply of Chantix was free. My phone counselor through the quit line was from Mayo. She called me every week to discuss my progress and by the end of the 3 months I didn’t want a chew. I have chewed much gum and many bags of seeds, but these crutches are decreasing in use. I never did anything without a chew. First thing in the am and last thing in the pm I did. Brush your teeth frequently use seeds and gum and get some help. It worked for me.

Nine months tobacco free and 7 weeks pain free since hip replacement. I have even gone ice fishing with a cane and no Copenhagen a week ago. Don’t take a chew or the cycle will continue.

Good Luck
    Todd in SD

jripperger83
    Knoxville, IA

I saw someone else mention Smokey Mountain. That stuff seemed to work for me as well. According to the back of the can, it’s basically just corn silk and molases. Seemed to work for me though. My brother took Chantix to help him quit. He said it worked well, but the side effects were bad. Anyhow good luck to ya.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.