Quitting Chewing Tobacco

• Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

All right, I just thought I would turn to a sight that has helped me with fishing in the past. Being chewing has been a part of my life for over 8 years, I was wondering if anybody out there has quit chewing and has any advice to give. I am on day 3 now and it feels like I am about ready to snap. I have gone through about 13 packs of gum and I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers to get me through the hard times right now. Thanks for the help and I hope that this is the last time I’ll ever have to quit.

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

hang in there the first 7-10 days is the worse part then it is mostly mind over mattter…talk to people, get support and hopefully you can kick it…I am in the process of trying to quit agian..good luck

Ron Johnsen
    Platteville wi

well april 1st its gonna go up 1.25 a can fedral tax on it so hang in there

B.C.
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

seriously? wtf

broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

Well I used to chew for 15 years, then quit cold turkey afte rthe Milel Lacs GTG 3 years ago and going strong. My biggest thing was water over gum as filling the glass gets you up and moving and the bathroom of course, but that takes away the appetite of hunger or bordem you feel. Also I went through 1 5 lb bag of the red an dwhite mints, my biggest hing was I chewed because I was bored, will not go in tot he other part as to many mean people on this site to chime in on that part. as in regards to just having something there to take the place of the chew. Not sure if this helps or not but that was what worked for me, also I started to make sure I had 3 good meals a day as I also found my chewing curbed my appetite.

good luck on your qwest.

Broncs

jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

I quit 24 years ago for my oldest sons 6th Birthday. I put it in the first thing in the morning, plus smoked when I didn’t have a chew in. I quit them both the same day, cold turkey. It was DAMN TUFF let me tell you. One thing you can’t do is sneak a few. Just suck it up and get after it. It really does get better with time. It’s the best thing I’ve ever done and I thank my son every year on his Birthday for making me quit! The fish will love you for it for not spitting that crap in the water

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I chewed Copenhagen for over 30 years. I quit the day the lady looked across the counter at me and said “Thatll be $5.60”. The stuff is worth more than gold…

The third day was the worst. AFTER THAT IT DOES GET EASIER. Take a deep breath, think about how important it is to take care of your health so you can be there for your family and friends.

And then reward yourself. After a year I figured I had saved a ton of money so I rewarded myself by buying a very good quality fly tying vise.

You can get through this! One day at a time.

Rootski

welch1

buy a bag of sunflower seeds in the shell….keeping a few of those in my mouth got me through it….I quit for 5 years when my daughter was born…

B.C.
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

Where did you get this info? I was reading through this article , and didn’t find any price increase of that magnitude?

suckerslayer
    Red Wing, MN

Wellbutrin (sp) helped me out a ton!! Good luck.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Quote:

I’ve read that. Where would I be able to obtain some?

mark_johnson
    St. Croix River

Dont ever allow yourself to “just have one” for fun because you think you have kicked the habit…..

Big Lund 20
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Steve, you can do this buddy!

I quit chewing 10 years ago(had been chewing for about 5 years at that time). Prior to that I had quit chewing and or smoking dozens of times. The final straw that got me was a trip to the dentist.

I went into the dentist and they asked me if I chewed and I said yep. They said they could tell, she goes have you ever looked up close at your gums? Sure, sure I have. She showed how much my gums had been eaten way by the fiberglass in my chew and told me I should have skin where these big chunks were missing below my front teeth. Needless to say that is all it took.

It did suck but I just kept thinking about my mouth and what she had said. It scared the crap out of me. When we are young and dumb and start these habits we think we are invincible and nothing can hurt us. 10 years later we are much wiser and know better. Wish I would have never started but hey, I was a kid and it was cool! Not so cool anymore.

The hardest thing you will find is when you are fishing that a dip just goes hand in hand with enjoying the outdoors. That’s what I found anyway. Time to take up a new hobby I guess, maybe quilting? Just kidding!

Take care and good luck! You can beat this beast.

Dave

pockets
    Golden Valley, MN

You’d have to get a prescription from your doctor for Welbutrin.

suckerslayer
    Red Wing, MN

Quote:

You’d have to get a prescription from your doctor for Welbutrin.

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

Quote:

Dont ever allow yourself to “just have one” for fun because you think you have kicked the habit…..

I made that mistake after quitting Copenhagen… I had chewed for more years than I’d like to accept, quit cold turkey for three years (that first couple of weeks are tough…). I was coaching my sons Pop Warner football team and one of the other coaches had some cope so I thought “what the heck – one dip won’t hurt”… next thing I knew, I was buying a can and now I’ve been chewing for another 5 or 6 years… DON’T DO IT! QUIT AND STAY QUIT!

birddog
    Mn.

Good luck!!

I’ve tried quitting a few times, I could make it 3-4 days, that’s it. Got the shakes, crabby, mouth was RAW from all the candy and seeds. I have to believe my mouth and health was worse off from all the other crap I was shoveling in! I gained weight in a few short days.

I gave in each time, didn’t like the way I was feeling. If you can stick with it without murdering your wife…

My wife would say, “I’m going to the store to buy you a can of snuff…I can’t take it!!” That a girl!

SO here I am, 17 years of bliss! 5 years on the bear, 12 on the cope.

Not to rub it in or anything…I just pulled a fresh can out of the freezer…NOTHING like a freezing cold pinch!!

Good luck.

BIRDDOG

DSchuh
    Golden, CO

Quote:

My dad used this to quit chewing after 25 yrs. He also chewed sunflower seeds to keep himself “busy”. Unfortunately, Wellbutrin is not cheap, but very worth it in the long run. A dentist should also be able to give you a prescription.

Any way that helps you quit is a good way in my book.

Good Luck and hang in there

budaman
    North Metro, MN

I chewed for 11 years or so. After finding out that I’m going to have a son in June, about 4 months ago I decided it was time to be done. The first month I just tried to cut down on the regular stuff (kodiak/grizzly), the second month I went to only chewing those crappy camel snus things, then after that it was time to try being done with everything. Going on a month and half without anything now….

I know some guys can go cold turkey, but I could never stick with that. The gradual process seemed to do the trick for me. Good luck, and stick with it!

danno34

Try Mint Snuff, It is natural mint leaves you can eat it

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I never would have imagined so many people with advice to give! I really do appreciate all the help!!

livetofishmn
    Mankato, Mn

Im 20 and been dippin for about 3 yrs now…been really thinkin about quittin lately. I came across a website that has a lot of helpful info. A live chat and all. Also a calculator to figure how much money you have saved since you quit…it really adds up

kill the can

moler02
    Iowa, Knoxville

If you’re level headed (juice runs equally out of each corner) you should be able to quit cold turkey or not. One thing is for sure you can’t cheat at all.

haasjj
    Cordova, IL

The way I quit was to swallow a tin and take it like a man for 24hrs. Now the smell turns my stomach just enough for the very occassional dip. I must have sunflower seeds when I’m ice fishing and sometimes summer fishing. Good Luck.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Maybe the beef jery kind would help a bit?

twoskneb
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Dude, Steve, just drink one of the spitters in the back of the Buick……..try to find one with a mix of past chewed flavors for good measure

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Quote:

Dude, Steve, just drink one of the spitters in the back of the Buick……..try to find one with a mix of past chewed flavors for good measure

Hey Bobby, that would be a great idea. Especially once summer rolls around and those babbies get stinky.

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

Quote:

That was my thought, go for a nice walk out into the woods and take a few gulps of that. i chewed for 4 years, sunflower seeds in the shell got me when i quit. I will buy a tin when i got up for deer hunting but when that one is gone thats it. The cheap hard candies are a good thing as well, something to do while your driving. but stay with it its not as easy as people think.

Ron Johnsen
    Platteville wi

thats what the retailer in ill told my friend & doyle is gonna add 25 cents too i heard 60 cents on cigs plus the 25

Ron Johnsen
    Platteville wi

its a fed tax

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.