Biggest Eye of the season(so far)

• beave
    MPLS

Well, it’s been a stellar year fishing, at least on the ice this year. My son and I have been catching Eyes all season but nothing over 24 inches. That all changed Saturday morning around 6:00am. We were at our winter wonderland near Backus MN fishing in around 20fow about 110 yard from shore catching 14-18 inch eyes. Wondering where all the “hogs” were, I popped a hole about 25 feet from shore in 5fow, put a fathead on a tip-up and dropped her in. I was walking back out to the deeper water where my son was fishing and was about half way back when he yells “FLAG”, “DAD YOU HAVE A FLAG”. I turned around and sure enough the flag was up. I calmly started to walk back as my son raced as fast as he could as he had much further to travel. When I got to the tip-up it was spinning like a helicopter blade. I figured it was a Northern. I yelled back to my son “I’ll let you take him”. I waited for Max(son) to get there, monitoring how much line was being taken. Max got there, bent down and gently lifted the tip up out of the hole-being careful not to lift it too quick or obstruct the motion of the reel. As he was lifting the tip-up out, it started racing again. I told him to grab the line and set it. He did. Then he starts yelling “It’s pulling the line through my hands”, “Help dad”. I grabbed the line and he was not kidding. This thing was a fighter. After 20 seconds or so we had her hitting the ice around the hole and got a glimpse of her. I nearly pooped my pants.
    We got her in the hole and I reached down and pulled her out. Max was jumping around and yelling something about his bedroom wall and the taxidermist. I told him that was too expensive, the fish is not quite big enough and I’m hungry.
    She measured 27.5 inches. (We did not have a scale)

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Congrats!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Great Story, Congrats!

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Congrats on a great fish.

Jami

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Great job on a great fish!

Bob Bowman
    MN

I have that same Welcome Bear at home

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Nice fish! I can’t understand why you’d eat a 27.5″ walleye when you’re catching 14-18″ers, but to each his own. Either way, nice catch and nice story.

jimfish

Nice fish although i myself would rather eat 16″ to 18″ my self.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Stay on point guys. Member catches legal fish. Member keeps legal fish. Member shows us fish. We say “cool, dude!”

timmy

Quote:

Stay on point guys. Member catches legal fish. Member keeps legal fish. Member shows us fish. We say “cool, dude!”

I’ll second that! Great story!

It makes me wonder how many fish are swimming around where they “shouldn’t” be……safe from all of us that are too “smart” to fish there?????

Tim

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

Congrats..That’s about 14″ longer than anything I’ve caught through the ice this year.

nutsaboutfishing

What lake was that caught if you don’t mind telling us. if non of our business just say so.

beave
    MPLS

There was no way my 10 year old son was going to let me throw back the biggest Walleye he’s ever caught, specially without showing it to mom and his sisters & the company we had over for the weekend, not to mention the neighbor. It was around 6am and everyone was still sleeping. We had no camera on the ice. We released every other fish we caught that weekend like we usually do: between 25-30 eyes, 8-10 Northern and too many Perch to count. The lake we’re on is deep & cold. The big Eyes taste just as good as the smaller Eyes…But I still prefer a 3lb Largemouth Bass for eating…

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

…But I still prefer a 3lb Largemouth Bass for eating…

Seriously, that’s a beauty fish. I can relate with kids not wanting to throw their fish back. My Daughter wants to keep everything she catches. Congrats to you and the little guy on a great catch. That’s surely something to be proud of.

Prestige
    Elgin, MN

Good Fish

btomlin
    Albia, IA

Nice fish! Bet you’ll have a hard time getting Jr. to sit over more than 5′ of water again!

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

Great fish. And congrats to you and your boy!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

Nice fish! Bet you’ll have a hard time getting Jr. to sit over more than 5′ of water again!

Ain’t that the truth.

My guess is he rather not reveal the lake. The lesson to be learned here is: They are not always where you think they are. This lesson can be applied to any lake and any species.

Again congrats to your boy on a beauty!

beave
    MPLS

Quote:

Can you reveal the lake or not?

NUTS: Check your PM

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Congrats beave to you and your son! A truly great memory that you two will have for the rest of your lives!

oldrat
    Upper Midwest

a verry verrrry VERRRRY NICE FISH. congrats..

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Great fish.
    A father/son memory that will last forever

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

Awasome fish and great story..I got a son on the way..any day now and cant wait to share the expierence with him you got to share with yours…congrats Jay

jripperger83
    Knoxville, IA

Nice fish, Great story!

CROIXBOY2
    Taylors Falls, MN

Fun stuff,,Nice fish…

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Quote:

Nothing wrong with what they said IMO… just wanting to keep a big fish big…. No need to discourage members from encouraging CPR (catch, photo, release)…

Great catch either way!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

Nothing wrong with what they said IMO… just wanting to keep a big fish big…. No need to discourage members from encouraging CPR (catch, photo, release)…

Great catch either way!

I agree. The message is one we want to put out there and keep out there. So I think it is the right thing to say. I just don’t think it was the best time to say it. I believe the applicable saying is… “the horse is out of the barn” so to speak. But there will be other opportunities to keep getting the CPR message out there and IDO backs that message 100%.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.