Winter on the Croix……

• rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

Time to share another couple of non fishin pix….. taken today……. the first is taken from the Wisconsin side of Interstate park near Taylors Falls/St Croix Falls in the area known as the Dalles… this is a very beautiful area at any time of year…. today it was deserted.. but still beautiful……

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

this next pic was taken on a small tributary to the Croix that flows in right next to the Osceola bridge… this falls however is up the creek a bit…. I hand held this shot at longer than normal exposure to get a softer look to the water… it would have been better taken with a tripod… but silly me… forgot it…. still its not terrible.. just wouldnt do very well in a contest….

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

for those interested in a digital camera this holiday season… a camera Ive been recomending to quite a few people is the Fuji S5000… has a 10X zoom, uses 2AA batteries so you can use econimical rechargeables… takes nice pix… from a reliable internet source like http://www.buydig.com it comes in at just a hair over $300….. oh yea… its a 3.1 MP.. interpolated to 6.2 just like the fuji s602 Ive been using for over a year… plenty of resolution to give you some great prints even at larger sizes… Ive printed the 602’s shots up to 13 x 19 and they look great…. just looks like a nice simple camera to use with some real lens power to reach out and shoot an eagle or something….. and if your really serious about extra range you can slap the olympus tcon 17 teleconverter on to it.. which should give you a 17X optical zoom…. which is a pretty serious zoom… the tcon 17 comes in around $90…. with the conversion ring for attaching to the s5000….. of course there are MANY other viable options… I present this one just because it appears to be the most reasonably priced for the performance it delivers…

Kerry Harvey
    Brownsdale, MN.

Ken, Nice shots. I’m going to get up that way some day to do some hiking, looks like beautiful country.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Damn Ken…

way nice !!!

you got something there…

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

thanks you guys are tooo kind… dont encourage me tooo much or I will be posting all kinds of pix here… and well.. really its a fishing/hunting board.. and most interest is geared that way… but taking pix IS part of that experience.. so Im willing to help out people with questions regarding digital cameras and software… I get a number of requests regularly… and Im always happy to help… Ive spent quite a bit of time learning about it.. and Im finally getting a pretty good clue what its all about……. Im entering contests against free lancers from all over the world and doing pretty well, (better all the time)… its been a tough training ground…. but fun

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

If anyone is interisted is seeing these sites up close let me know. Must of made a good half dozen boat trips up to photo # 1. Was just looking at it wondering if there is still some crappies in there. Photo #2 is not far off the river either. Good to see those sites again.
    The quality of fish on the upper croix can be a little tough to come by but the views you get and peice and quiet more than make up for it.
    Thanks for the photos Rivereyes.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

yeah Mike… thanks for pointing out its NOT just a pretty face… you cant see it.. but the boat launch for interstate park is around that last point on the left side….. and down just a bit… not much of a run from there right to where I was standing… just above where I stood is the bridge over the river between Taylors falls and St Croix Falls…. there is some VERY fast water under the bridge and lots of rocks… its the rare boat with guts enough to run it…. (and good thing.. one mistake and you got some serious trouble!)…. from the bridge there is at least a 1/2 mile of water up to the dam… its mostly very shallow and ALL very rocky….. there ARE fish there though… but getting in there with a boat is probably NOT worth it….
    the calm waters down from where I took those shots run pretty deep.. and there are schools of crappies in there… for sure.. and some nice ones….. along with your usual variety of river fish…. saugers seem rare up here even though there is PLENTY of depth… and larger eyes also seem rare…. but Ive now become convinced that they lurk in the rock and wood infested shorelines sitting in fairly shallow and very tough to fish water….. the fish in the deeper water is the absolute hoards of sub 15″ walleyes…..

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Ken,

Absolutely beautiful. It may very well be a hunting and fishing site but I don’t hear any complaining. I for one would appreciate it if you’d keep sharing these awesome pics from time to time.

Thanks much,

Wade

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.