New Gun Control Bill in Congress

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Time to take 5 and walk away from the keyboard.

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

AMEN to that!!!

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

Well, I just got a chance to read this fine thread. My take…

I won’t sacrifice our freedoms for the illusion of security.

Bad things are going to happen in this world, folks. And trying to over-regulate law-abiding citizens isn’t going to do a damn thing to change that. You want to decrease violence in the world? Start by doing everything possible to prevent young boys from turning into violent criminals in the first place. Regulating good citizens isn’t going to solve the problem and will do more damage than good by eventually criminalizing legal acts. All it takes to turn good citizens into prison inmates is one bad law.

redneckjr
    Rosemount, MN

Some people are way to comfortable with trusting that other people will take care of them.
    I for one feel that the government doesn’t need to know what time I’m going to use the restroom, why do they need to know everything about my gun. I sell firearms and we do FBI background checks on every person that wants to buy a gun. That’s enough for me to feel confident in selling a gun to them.
    Most guns used in crimes weren’t bought legally by the person anyway, so what’s the purpose in registering them?

If I keep a gun in my truck, do I have to tell the government that it’s always in my truck?

bosman
    DeSoto, WI

I am 110% against this bill. I was taught at a young age Guns Don’t Kill People. People Kill People.

It’s like blaming my keyboard for mispelling a word and then IDO for not having a spell check!

Teacher on administrative leave……I just thought this was a timely article given some of the direction of this thread.

riveratt
    Central Wisconsin US-of-A

Great example of extreme liberalism. Pay the teacher to stay home because she had a photo of herself holding a gun on facebook? Insane!

What problem, exactly, did they cure by sending this lady home?

They got my e-mail already and I’m sure many more are coming their way after I posted them on my favorite pro gun website.

witt
    Iowa City, IA

Quote:

Quote:

Well, I just got a chance to read this fine thread. My take…

I won’t sacrifice our freedoms for the illusion of security.

Bad things are going to happen in this world, folks. And trying to over-regulate law-abiding citizens isn’t going to do a damn thing to change that. You want to decrease violence in the world? Start by doing everything possible to prevent young boys from turning into violent criminals in the first place. Regulating good citizens isn’t going to solve the problem and will do more damage than good by eventually criminalizing legal acts. All it takes to turn good citizens into prison inmates is one bad law.

So, just got back from work. Seems like people still think the bill is going to outlaw handguns.
    Not the case, just more regulation. If you look at the financial sector, maybe a little regulation would be a good thing. Letting the private sector regulate itself has been a good theory with money, right? Like your tax dollars going to bail out the bank that lost billions, yet the CEO’s, ironically, made millions? A little regulation might have helped, but too late now. If you own a hand gun-great! Be safe, be careful, keep it locked. Stay away from colleges (-J that’s for you, ever been to college campus–LOTS of drunk people. You want them taking a gun to class?). I like to think that law-abiding citizens are already regulated, hence the term “law abiding.” You are following the law, and a NEW law, one that says you can’t buy a Desert Eagle with Hollow Points at a Gun Show in Cedar Rapids (I know, “IT’S MY RIGHT”)to me makes sense. If you have to buy it from a LICENSED, REGISTERED GUN VENDOR is that someone taking your rights away? Is that violating your right to OWN the gun? No. You might have to pay more, you might have to give your fingerprints, and you might have to tell the state when you move. Just like when you change your vehicle registration.
    Everyone needs to think about how the law will directly affect them, and we still have not had any response to this question:
    Who has actually had to use their gun in self defense?
    Not you AKA PVT Simmons.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Who has actually had to use their gun in self defense?

Came very close once. Closer than I ever thought I would…

But that’s like asking all the people that own fire extinghisers if they’ve had to actually use one…I know CPR, but haven’t had to use it.

More government regulation has never helped anything and when it comes to protecting my family or myself, I’ll have “two lines in the water” so to speak.

One question…do you think the criminals are going to follow these new laws?

Say…your not a lawyer are you?

riveratt
    Central Wisconsin US-of-A

You are trying to draw a valid comparison between the finance industry and the private sector owning guns? Are you SERIOUS? I won’t get very far into it for political reasons but look to the core of the finance troubles. Look up Fannie May and Freddie Mac and see where they originated from and what they did over their life span. By the way that has absolutely nothing to do with guns! Beside all that why should it be the governments business, much less ours, what a CEO from a private company makes? You are now proposing the government should not only decide who and when we can own guns but also how much we should be able to be paid. All from the same “team” that had 10 FULL years to get digital TV broadcasting up and going.

You say more regulations won’t hurt us law abiding citizens. Maybe not. But is the point of more regulation to get law abiding citizens to be more law abiding? Do you understand the difference between a CRIMINAL and a law abiding citizen? Criminals are already NOT following the law. Do you really think making us law abiding people pay more fee’s and jump through more hoops will change what gang bangers will do? Seriously now, I want to know your answer to that!

And why is it so important to know if someone used their gun in self defense? Have you used your smoke detectors lately? How about those with auto insurance who’ve never had a claim? What about that seat belt knife/hammer combo in the glove box, used that lately? How often have your savings at the bank been refunded by the FDIC act?

But if you insist please click the following link. This happened not 3 miles from my house last week. The city I live in is very small, around 1200 people. Clark County has more cows than people. Yet the 23 year old was attacked at 530 am by a guy dressed as the Joker and beaten with a hammer until the victim was able to reach his gun and shoot the intruder, nearly killing him. The victim then made a tourniquet to stop the bleeding and made the SECOND intruder drive the first one to a hospital.

But what the heck, he had no right to shoot right? After all medical insurance would have likely paid for his nose and eyeballs to be pulled from his head and I’m sure the family could come up with enough money for the coffin and burial.

Self Defense Shooting

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Jwitt;
    I challenge you, on your next post, to tell me how many gun laws exist under federal law?

I found 271.

How is this new law on top of the existing 271 going to take away the guns from the criminals and stop crime?

What I want to know, is how this 272nd law will benefit the People of the United States of America?

In communist China, permits and licenses are required to own and use a typewriter, copy machine, and the other tools of free speech. Maybe that should be our 273rd law?

The tiereny of the government on this proposed bill is unacceptable, as the constitution states.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

First-isn’t the policy of the site to NOT post political threads?

Guys (and gals), As long as these threads don’t turn into bashing political parties, slandering persons, or attacking each other or each others beliefs, we can have these discussion on IDO. Stick to discussing the issues and having an intelligent debate, and these threads can continue. Turn this into another “attack thread” and it will be locked up.

Individual members who continually ignore this rule on IDO will be suspended or banned. Those are the individuals who refuse to debate in a civil manner, and those are the ones who force us to have some of the strict rules we do.

Think before you type. Thank you.

witt
    Iowa City, IA

Whoa brother.
    So you came close to using your gun? What is that supposed to mean?
    I lived in Phoenix. Ever been there? Ever had someone pull a gun on you for cutting them off on the interstate? You live in rural town. I moved people who had bullet holes in their kids windows. My mother in law taught at a school where kids got shot. Google this one: “Weapon branded on US Highway 60/ I-10/Loop 101” etc. Or: “Shooting in Glendale/Chandler/Mesa/Peoria.” Interesting reading material. Then tell me you “almost” used your gun.
    And as for the guns that are used in crimes, are you saying that no one ever bought a gun in anger from a pawn shop and used it? No one ever bought a gun from a Gun Show with the intent to kill someone? I live in Iowa City, there was a shooting here in ’92. A student killed five people on campus. You “almost” used your gun. The point of the bill is to make it make it harder to buy a gun if you have malicious intent or crime of passion flowing in your veins.
    And it’s not so important for me to know if anyone’s used their gun in self defense, but everyone says that’s why they own it. And poor analogy with the smoke detectors, they never shot anyone in a classroom AND there is not, to my knowledge, a bill for more regulation of smoke detectors.
    Again, I’ll say it every time, own a gun. Good for your. I own several shotguns. I use them for shooting pheasants, turkey, and quail.

witt
    Iowa City, IA

Quote:

Jwitt;
    I challenge you, on your next post, to tell me how many gun laws exist under federal law?

I found 271.

How is this new law on top of the existing 271 going to take away the guns from the criminals and stop crime?

What I want to know, is how this 272nd law will benefit the People of the United States of America?

In communist China, permits and licenses are required to own and use a typewriter, copy machine, and the other tools of free speech. Maybe that should be our 273rd law?

The tiereny of the government on this proposed bill is unacceptable, as the constitution states.

Gary, if you think we are remotely close to China you need to lay off the sugar my friend.
    Again, if you don’t like the United States, get out. I love this country no less than any of you, and I think our government has done many wrongs to the people. But every four years we get to decide who our leader is. And power is transferred peacefully and without bloodshed. The winner wins legally, fairly, and is chosen by the people.
    If you (and all the others who are so happy to call this a dictatorship, communism, etc.) think it’s so bad here, then go somewhere else and post a thread telling us how easily you aclimated to the society because it’s so similar to the United States.
    Oh, and to answer you question, I’m going to take a shot in the dark-270 laws. Am I close?

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

And just because someone’s in your house you don’t have the right to shoot them, that’s law. So go ahead and shoot an intruder, you will go to jail just like they will. And if they die you will be tried for manslaughter.

Not in Texas.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Quote:

Gary, if you think we are remotely close to China you need to lay off the sugar my friend.
    Again, if you don’t like the United States, get out. I love this country no less than any of you, and I think our government has done many wrongs to the people. But every four years we get to decide who our leader is. And power is transferred peacefully and without bloodshed. The winner wins legally, fairly, and is chosen by the people.
    If you (and all the others who are so happy to call this a dictatorship, communism, etc.) think it’s so bad here, then go somewhere else and post a thread telling us how easily you aclimated to the society because it’s so similar to the United States.
    Oh, and to answer you question, I’m going to take a shot in the dark-270 laws. Am I close?

Jwitt;
    I’m soley talking about our freedom here.

I do need you to expand more on your statement above, as I’m a bit confused.
    Are you referring to executive or legislative government?
    This proposal we are discussing is being delivered by a congressman from Illinois. Not the president. This has nothing to do with the president. We are talking legislative here.
    With that said, congress is up for election every 2 years, right? Not 4.
    And, I have no intent of leaving my country.
    If people don’t agree with the government, it isn’t the appropriate response to leave the country.
    If that was the case…….
    Maybe we should have told the Jews to leave Germany in 1939 and there wouldn’t have been a problem, now would there?

ryno

The great gun debate. I have been having this exact conversation with someone I know who is very much on the side of registering guns. They honestly don’t think it is a “big deal”. And they bring up the “You register your car don’t you?” It is a very intriguing view point.

WHY do you register your car? Is it for safety? No. I see cars on the highway everyday that are unsafe, potentially deadly, wheels falling off ect. Is it to generate funds for government? Yes. They use that money to improve and maintain roads and license plates ensure the authorities that you have paid your share… Makes sense. You however do not have to register a car that you never use on public roads, you can own a car that never leaves your property without registering it.
    What would the Government get out of you having to register your guns? Money and (private) information. Money for what? Good question. I do not know the answer. Information on who owns what guns and where (and only ones that people are willing admit to owning). Okay, why do they need to know that? Again I do not know?
    Bad guys will still have unregistered guns, that is a fact, it will always be that way, you will not stop the sale of an unregistered firearm with any law, period.

By making it a law that you must register your gun, I have to question the underlying motives. I can only assume that it would mean someday down the road the government may not want me to have that particular type of firearm. Why? Did I do something wrong? No. Have I become a threat to any one person? No. Do other and myself have the ABILITY to stand up for our freedoms? Yes.

This type of law will do nothing to stop the truly “bad guys” from committing crimes with guns. It will not even slow them down for one second. This type of bill is to only give government more power and information is power.

Lets say I am a collector and own a few hundred guns. I have not even had so much has a speeding ticket. I being a law abiding citizen register all of my guns. The day comes when the government comes to our doors and says, “You are going to live in this government issued room, you are going to work this government issued job, and you are going to eat government issued food, ect. Because we know what is best for you.” I bet they show up at my door, before the guy that says he doesn’t own a firearm. I know this sounds very radical, I am not a radical person, but our right to own firearms protects all of our other rights, such has freedom of speech, ect. If someone can give me a good reason to why the government needs to know that I have a 10/22 I will listen, I have an open mind. The only reason I can see at this point is so they know I have it so they can take it away, along with my other freedoms. The notion of “it will slow down the bad guys” is a dream of a perfect world, I am sorry it is not a perfect world and we will always have bad guys with guns. I for one would like to be able to protect my freedoms and my family.

In college I had a class and we were covering the bill of rights. We were debating if we had to throw out one amendment what would it be, and how would it affect us? When the Prof. came to the “Right to bear arms.” almost half of the arms went up. Reasons varied from “they are dangerous” to “we don’t need to worry about that anymore.” When those of us who didn’t raise our hands got a chance to speak. He called on the exchange student from Russia. Her words, “You fools, that is the last right you want to give up. That right alone is why America is so great. It gives your people power. It is what protects all of your other freedoms.” Think about it…

Just my two cents.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Awesome post Ryno!

Mr. Jwitte,

You asked if anyone has used their gun…your response has me confused.

Have you ever been to Biscay, MN? I’m not sure what that means.

Past history will predict future performance. Governments are no exception.

Were you around when MN started the 3% sales tax? It was only to last 1 year. I’m sure you’ve been through the toll booths in Chicago. They were only going to be there until the hiway was paid for. The great

There isn’t any reason to register guns or pass that bill other than the movement to take away the right to keep and bear arms.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Honestly, does anyone think forced registration is going to stop illegal gun sales. Crooks, spooks and mental misfits will find a way to brandish a firearm and start shooting. Sorry, it happens, its’ the cool thing for cowards now days. However, if I’m at the MOA and someone does this, I would like the right to inherently protect my family.

I find it hilarious that anyone would actually think this law would prevent any criminal from getting a firearm or even make it harder for them. All it does is take a first step down a path that likely could lead to the next revolution.

witt
    Iowa City, IA

Quote:

Quote:

Jwitt;
    I’m soley talking about our freedom here.

I do need you to expand more on your statement above, as I’m a bit confused.
    Are you referring to executive or legislative government?
    This proposal we are discussing is being delivered by a congressman from Illinois. Not the president. This has nothing to do with the president. We are talking legislative here.
    With that said, congress is up for election every 2 years, right? Not 4.
    And, I have no intent of leaving my country.
    If people don’t agree with the government, it isn’t the appropriate response to leave the country.
    If that was the case…….
    Maybe we should have told the Jews to leave Germany in 1939 and there wouldn’t have been a problem, now would there?

You know, you had better start coming up with a better anology that Nazi Germany. And as for the president, my point is we have a peaceful transfer of power, not like many countries in the world that you all are so quick to compare us to.
    Do you guys ever read what I write? Or just look for the parts that say “gun”, “regulate”, and “no”?
    Read the whole bill, read my whole post. Try to make a point, this could be hard, without using Nazi Germany. Comparing any US president to Hitler is a tad bit extreme, don’t we all agree on that?
    And YOU WOULD STILL HAVE THE RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS!!!! YOU WOULD! Ever bought a gun at a pawn shop or gun show?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

No, but I never lived in Phoenix either.

kooty
    Keymaster

Quote:

Ever bought a gun at a pawn shop or gun show?

Yes, but what does that have to do with the price of gas going up $.10 cents today??

timmy

Kooty, don’t be a dope. You don’t need a permit to buy gas at a pawn shop. Think before you type….sheesh……

Tim

witt
    Iowa City, IA

Quote:

Kooty, don’t be a dope. You don’t need a permit to buy gas at a pawn shop. Think before you type….sheesh……

Tim

There’s no need for name calling. If you are a friend of kooty, I guess it’s cool. But so far this has been a heated but respectful debate.
    Time to let this one fade into the sunset……….

kooty
    Keymaster

We are cool. He’s just ribbing me and seeing my weak attempt at irony.

My point, registering guns has no affect on criminals. Pawn shops, gun shows, private sales….They are not the primary source for criminals getting guns. The control crowd would have you believe that any old gun show is loaded with gang bangers picking up pistols and oozies left and right.

jldii

270-271 gun laws, and the criminals still have guns, law abiding citizens have guns, some that are registered, and some that aren’t even though maybe they should be. If a person has done no crimal acts except not register a gun, is he now a criminal? Seems that no amount of regulation is going to do anything except add another layer of laws that the government can use against law abiding citizens that own guns and that have never done anything illegal accept believe in the gaurantees of 2nd Amendment.

Also, for whoever it was that says you can’t shoot anyone legally…In South Carolina, in 1972 the law clearly said you could shoot and legally kill any intruder in your home as long as certain criteria is met.

1. There must be signs of forced entry.
    2. The bullet must have entered the intruder in the front of his body.
    3. He has to fall dead inside the house, not outside of it.

Maybe the law has changed, but I doubt it has.

witt
    Iowa City, IA

I respect every one’s opinion and enjoyed the debate. Although I have my opinions, as you all know, I would certainly hope that my wishes do not become law. Our rights are OUR rights, a collective. If the day comes where one voice of opposition silences the voices of the majority, we have a problem. Our country is governed by those who represent us, and lately we have been getting the attention of those in DC.
    I am officially retiring from the arena of this debate.
    See you on the ice, I will be at Macbride. If you’re out there, fire off a couple rounds and I’ll come over with hot coffee.

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

Wow, so far I’ve been able to read through this highly incendiary thread without putting my hands on the keyboard, primarily because my wife handcuffed them behind my back. This morning,, however, I decided the manacles were not necessary. Even though the subject of gun control is, by its very essence, inherently political, so, to wit , I must admit to vehemently objecting whenever I perceive my 1st and 2nd amendment rights are being infringed upon or otherwise eroded under the guise of “for the greater good“. Although we can see this seemingly innocuous bill coming down the pike, it is no less insidious than the continual erosion of rights that take place in almost imperceptibly small degrees. This gun control bill is merely the camel’s head in the tent, with much more camel to follow! One can continue to swat the flies which are only symptomatic of the real culprit, which is a BIG government that believes it can manage your life better than you can! The operating philosophy of Big government reminds me of growing mushrooms, fertilize them with lots of horse $hit and keep them in the dark! Before signing off, I must say I find much solace in knowing that the violent criminal is about to go the way of the great wooly mammoth, should this bill pass!

perchhead

We will leave the democrats and the republicans out of this. Every gun owner in this country should be a member of the NRA. I think it is sad that some unnamed people are so niave as to believe that the one political party that has complete control would not try this. I just wonder what will happen to people like myself who make their living in this industry, I am employed by Federal. The saving grace maybe that the Democrats in states like Colorado,Wyoming,Montana etc may not go for this as hunting and firearm ownership are big parts of their history and their economy.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

Again, if you don’t like the United States, get out.

Exactly. Don’t make laws that take away our freedoms. This country’s founders came to this land to escape an oppressive government, and in doing so they made it very clear that we should protect our freedoms including the right to bare arms. Allowing the government to continue to tighten regulation is the slippery slope to losing your rights and freedoms. And as you said, if you don’t like it in the USA, get out. There are lots of countries that have gun control where you can find a nice home. Leave mine alone. Thanks!

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 123 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.