New Gun Control Bill in Congress

• jldii

After just skimming over it, it seems they consider all fire arm sales as interstate commerce and want to require us to start licensing rifles as well as tracking all sales from person to person.

Does the Second Amendment mean anything to these people anymore?

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

For any of you who agree with this bill, go back and read your history books. Particularly pre-World War 2 Nazi Germany. This exact same legislation passed and soon after, many were jailed for not obeying the new law. Then soon after the government knew who owned the guns and where the guns were stored, Hitler took them all away.

Funny how history has a way of repeating itself.

-J.

bassmaster
    SE, MN

When are we going to learn. They can take there gun contol bills and stick them up there !!!!

Please keep the political bias out of this thread.

Thank you.

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

Elections have consequences!

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

WOW, I read through the majority of the bill. Here’s some highlights.

1. Requires a license for any semiautomatic gun with a clip, and any handgun.

2. Government will charge you $25 for this.

3. You will have to renew this license when the government says so. I did not see a timeframe.

4. If you sell a gun, you must transfer title of this gun to the new person, only if I am a dealer. The way I read it, there is no person to person sales without a dealer involved.

5. If you move, you must notify the government or they will get you.

6. Failure to follow this and you can be fined, or jailed for up to 5 years.

7. The government can enter anywhere guns are manufactured or held during normal business hours to verify these requirements are met. So much for unlawful search and seisure.

8. A certification by the owner that the gun will not be used or in the vicininty of someone under 18 years of age. It says “Safely stored, and out of the possession of persons who have not attained 18 years of age”

Does this mean that if I give my son a new Remington 1100 to shoot trap with me, I am punishable by fine or jail?

I have to say this sounds like a bad idea. It also sounds like it can not be enforced or tracked without many, many, people working on it. Maybe this is Obamma’s way of stimulating the economy

EDIT: For the people who put stongly agree, I would be interested in hearing why they support this, in a respectable and civil manner.

ferny
    Stillwater, MN

Here’s some highlights:
    * It will be “unlawful” to own a firearm without a license.
    * Be required to submit a picture and thumbprint.
    * Provide certification that the firearms are properly stored.
    * Pass a written firearms exam which tests a persons knowledge of the safe storage of firearms in the presence of children, safe handling of firearms, risks associated with firearms, legal responsibilities of a firearm owner, and anything else the Attorney General deems fit.
    * A release of any mental health records.
    * Makes private sales illegal.
    * Establishes a Federal Record of Sale system which records make, model, serial number, license of the transferee and name and address of the transferor.
    * Provides for inspection of your home (fourth amendment violation)
    * Reporting of lost or stolen firearms
    * Notice of change of address
    * Numerous other fun nuggets.

Are the criminals going to obey this law while disregarding others? Law abiding citizens would have to!

Here we go again!

Ferny.

barebackjack
    New Prague, MN.

May as well equip any manufactured firearm with a GPS! What a crock of crap!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

All we can do is write the powers that be and tell them, you vote for this, I’ll never vote for you again.

The goods news, change is a comin’. The US is getting just what it asked for on many, many fronts. If guns sales weren’t high before, this will certainly boost the industry.

budaman
    North Metro, MN

I just got this email today. I think the point is fairly well illustrated. It’s a bit long…sorry, but very important in my opinion.

It is now closer to reality than you think.

You’re sound asleep when you hear a thump outside your bedroom door. Half-awake, and nearly paralyzed with fear, you hear muffled whispers. At least two people have broken into your house and are moving your way. With your heart pumping, you reach down beside your bed and pick up your shotgun. You rack a shell into the chamber, then inch toward the door and open it. In the darkness, you make out two shadows.

One holds something that looks like a crowbar. When the intruder brandishes it as if to strike, you raise the shotgun and fire. The blast knocks both thugs to the floor. One writhes and screams while the second man crawls to the front door and lurches outside. As you pick up the telephone to call police, you know you’re in trouble.

In your country, most guns were outlawed years before, and the few That are privately owned are so stringently regulated as to make them useless. Yours was never registered. Police arrive and inform you that the second burglar has died. They arrest you for First Degree Murder and Illegal Possession of a Firearm. When you talk to your attorney, he tells you not to worry: authorities will probably plea the case down to manslaughter.

“What kind of sentence will I get?” you ask.

“Only ten-to-twelve years,” he replies, as if that’s nothing. “Behave yourself, and you’ll be out in seven.”

The next day, the shooting is the lead story in the local newspaper. Somehow, you’re portrayed as an eccentric vigilante while the two men you shot are represented as choirboys. Their friends and relatives can’t find an unkind word to say about them. Buried deep down in the article, authorities acknowledge that both “victims” have been arrested numerous times. But the next day’s headline says it all: “Lovable Rogue Son Didn’t Deserve to Die.” The thieves have been transformed from career criminals into Robin Hood-type pranksters. As the days wear on, the story takes wings. The national media picks it up, then the international media. The surviving burglar has become a folk hero.

Your attorney says the thief is preparing to sue you, and he’ll probably win. The media publishes reports that your home has been burglarized several times in the past and that you’ve been critical of local police for their lack of effort in apprehending the suspects. After the last break-in, you told your neighbor that you would be prepared next time. The District Attorney uses this to allege that you were lying in wait for the burglars.

A few months later, you go to trial. The charges haven’t been reduced, as your lawyer had so confidently predicted. When you take the stand, your anger at the injustice of it all works against you. Prosecutors paint a picture of you as a mean, vengeful man. It doesn’t take long for the jury to convict you of all charges.

The judge sentences you to life in prison.

This case really happened.

On August 22, 1999, Tony Martin of Emneth, Norfolk, England, killed one burglar and wounded a second. In April, 2000, he was convicted and is now serving a life term.

How did it become a crime to defend one’s own life in the once great British Empire?

It started with the Pistols Act of 1903. This seemingly reasonable law forbade selling pistols to minors or felons and established that handgun sales were to be made only to those who had a license. The Firearms Act of 1920 expanded licensing to include not only handguns but all firearms except shotguns.

Later laws passed in 1953 and 1967 outlawed the carrying of any weapon by private citizens and mandated the registration of all shotguns.

Momentum for total handgun confiscation began in earnest after the Hungerford mass shooting in 1987. Michael Ryan, a mentally disturbed Man with a Kalashnikov rifle, walked down the streets shooting everyone he saw. When the smoke cleared, 17 people were dead.

The British public, already de-sensitized by eighty years of “gun control”, demanded even tougher restrictions. (The seizure of all privately owned handguns was the objective even though Ryan used a rifle.)

Nine years later, at Dunblane , Scotland , Thomas Hamilton used a semi-automatic weapon to murder 16 children and a teacher at a public school.

For many years, the media had portrayed all gun owners as mentally unstable or worse, criminals. Now the press had a real kook with which to beat up law-abiding gun owners. Day after day, week after week, the media gave up all pretense of objectivity and demanded a total ban on all handguns. The Dunblane Inquiry, a few months later, Sealed the fate of the few sidearm still owned by private citizens.

During the years in which the British government incrementally took away most gun rights, the notion that a citizen had the right to armed self-defense came to be seen as vigilantism. Authorities refused to grant gun licenses to people who were threatened, claiming that self-defense was no longer considered a reason to own a gun. Citizens who shot burglars or robbers or rapists were charged while the real criminals were released.

Indeed, after the Martin shooting, a police spokesman was quoted as saying, “We cannot have people take the law into their own hands.”

All of Martin’s neighbors had been robbed numerous times, and several elderly people were severely injured in beatings by young thugs who had no fear of the consequences. Martin himself, a collector of antiques, had seen most of his collection trashed or stolen by burglars.

When the Dunblane Inquiry ended, citizens who owned handguns were given three months to turn them over to local authorities. Being good British subjects, most people obeyed the law. The few who didn’t were visited by police and threatened with ten-year prison sentences if they didn’t comply. Police later bragged that they’d taken nearly 200,000 handguns from private citizens.

How did the authorities know who had handguns? The guns had been registered and licensed. Kinda like cars.

Sound familiar?

WAKE UP AMERICA; THIS IS WHY OUR FOUNDING FATHERS PUT THE SECOND AMENDMENT IN OUR CONSTITUTION.

“..It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people’s minds..”

–Samuel Adams

witt
    Iowa City, IA

First-isn’t the policy of the site to NOT post political threads?
    Second-if you love the United States, STOP COMPARING IT TO NAZI GERMANY!!! When you see people being kicked out of their homes, loaded onto trains, and being executed for reglious, sexual, or political orientation then you can make the comparison.

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

I wish it wasn’t political!!!!!

kooty
    Keymaster

Some of that article appears to contradict this story, but the real truth is, we are headed this way.

Martin Conviction Story

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

First-isn’t the policy of the site to NOT post political threads?
    Second-if you love the United States, STOP COMPARING IT TO NAZI GERMANY!!! When you see people being kicked out of their homes, loaded onto trains, and being executed for reglious, sexual, or political orientation then you can make the comparison.

The comparrison is absolutely 100% valid. Shoot me a PM and I will provide you some reading material. History cannot be changed, only repeated!

-J.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Jon:

Whether the comparison is valid or not is not the issue. There are several posts on this thread that specifically bash the democratic party. And this has been happening ever since the election.

If you don’t like a particular bill, that is fine and your right. But to openly bash just democrats is wrong and this site has been supporting this type of behavior on more than one occasion.

It’s time this site stepped up and moderated posts both ways, cause it’s not happening now.

Eric

witt
    Iowa City, IA

I respect your right, as you do mine, do believe what you choose. I choose not to compare the US to Nazi Germany. That’s just me. You choose to, and that’s fine.

c_hof
    New Richmond, WI

Quote:

I hate to see that comparison too, but if you wait until all that happens before you stand up for your rights, it’s way too late to do anything about it. The people that did stand up at that point in Germany were quickly exterminated.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Eric,

The bill is what it is. Black and white right there. It is sponsored and written by a Democrat and supported by the DNC.

-J.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Eric, I cleaned up that post. While I had my feather duster, I put a shine on this one as well.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Unfortunately, that statement is true. Or perhaps you can name a time in the 20th or 21st century when a Democratic White House did not push forward on some sort of national gun control?

-J.

witt
    Iowa City, IA

Quote:

I wish it wasn’t political!!!!!

So posting proposed legislation is not political? That’s funny.

kooty
    Keymaster

This bill can have a huge negative affect on many of us. I think the rule has always been if it directly affects fishing/hunting there is some tolerance.

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

There is something different about the time we live in even from 10 years go. I’m afraid something like this will pass sooner or later with the way people think nowadays, I really don’t want to see what happens to this nation if it does. This is a decisive time in our history and future and so far it looks like greed and selfishness has taken the fore front, not just in this but overall.

I think we need to stand on our rights that so many fought and died to obtain and maintain. Contact our representatives, #1 Pray for this nation and our leaders if we agree with them or not and be proud to be who we are.

Sorry didn’t mean to rant but alot about what is going on in this country has been on my mind.

RoadKing

Leave out the Democratic/Republican debate.

This bill could make criminals out of many of us.

Let your elected officials know this is not acceptable.

kooty
    Keymaster

Quote:

AMEN, I couldn’t agree more!!!

budaman
    North Metro, MN

Quote:

All of mine have received an email this afternoon. I use congress.org to get in touch with my representatives. It works very well.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Quote:

Let your elected officials know this is not acceptable

I agree as well. You are either for or against this bill. I’m against it!

PS
    I still don’t think this site is moderated fairly repub vs democ but I’ll let it go for now. I’ve made anti-repub statements on here b4 and they were dusted quick.

kooty
    Keymaster

Then quit making them Eric!!

witt
    Iowa City, IA

Okay…..this will be the last warning. Keep the political bias out of this thread, or the Management Committee will be forced to lock it up.

No one wants that, so keep this thread on point.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Quote:

Quote:

All of mine have received an email this afternoon. I use congress.org to get in touch with my representatives. It works very well.

Thanks for the link.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 123 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.