Dang Rabbits!

• Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

The cat post made me think of the rabbit problem in our yard. I’ve plinked a few out the back window with a pellet rifle, but I live within city limits and have close neighbors, so I’m a bit leary of that.

Wondering if anyone could recommend a fairly discrete trapping method. I don’t really want to live trap them because, well, I don’t want them alive. What’s a good trap, technique, and bait? Where can I get a trap or two, Fleet Farm?

My shrubs will thank you!

stevedobie
    Central, MN

They may make allot of noise in a trap. Need to kill themquick so that don’t happen. Good luck.

timmy

Snare.

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

I use a live trap baited with an apple. Relocate in a different zip code………..or a bat behind the ears also works if you like eating rabbbit.

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

Where is a good place to get live traps??? It is crazy the amount of rabbit doo around my bushes in the spring when the snow melts.

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

Farm & Fleet????? Cabelas wants $50.00 for one.

tstatz
    wis

i feel your pain! a conibear will kill the rabbits quite quickly and silently. put a carrot on the trigger. good luck

wkw

My grampa used to use a slingshot with a ballbearing.
    They never knew what hit ’em, and Gramma knew how to cook ’em. Fried ’em just like chicken. Hmmmm!
    wkw

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

I use a Red Fox… and if he dont get them the Greated Horned Owl does…. but then if they both somehow fail.. then the coyotes kick in….. there seem to be WAY more predators here then rabbits…. Im not sure there will be ANY left by spring….

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

After seeing pics of the horse that you call a dog, I would try something with him.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

After seeing pics of the horse that you call a dog, I would try something with him.

He keeps them away when he’s outside, but he’s an inside dog.

riveratt
    Central Wisconsin US-of-A

A word to the wise about using a body clamp type trap in town. If you catch and kill your neighbors cat or dog you will most likely get some free airtime on the news as well as a hefty fine. To avoid that check your local regulations to be sure it is legal to set deadly traps in your yard.

Given the proximity to other people who may not share your interest to kill the rabbits (funny how that phrase sounded like Elmer Fudd in my head) I’d suggest using a live trap. I’d bet you could find someone with a beagle pup that they want to train for hunting. I bet they’d welcome a steady supply of trainers as well.

Good luck!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.