More proof of global warming…

• G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

From today’s DrudgeReport.com:

GORE HEARING ON WARMING MAY BE PUT ON ICE
    Mon Jan 26 2009 17:59:26 ET

Al Gore is scheduled before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee on Wednesday morning to once again testify on the ‘urgent need’ to combat global warming.

But Mother Nature seems ready to freeze the proceedings.

A ‘Winter Storm Watch’ has been posted for the nation’s capitol and there is a potential for significant snow… sleet… or ice accumulations.

“I can’t imagine the Democrats would want to showcase Mr. Gore and his new findings on global warming as a winter storm rages outside,” a Republican lawmaker emailed the DRUDGE REPORT. “And if the ice really piles up, it will not be safe to travel.”

A spokesman for Sen. John Kerry, who chairs the committee, was not immediately available to comment on contingency plans.

Global warming advocates have suggested this year’s wild winter spells are proof of climate change.

Developing…

SpinbaitStu
    moline illinois

warmer weather is welcome by most of the bass fisherman that i know

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

I guess WE are on the short end of the stick for global warming? what.. the rest of the world gets OUR heat? I thought if the artic ocean warms.. then the artic air mass warms… if the artic air mass warms… thats where our alberta clippers come from… but its colder than blazes up in the area of alaska that holds the air that freezes our b*tts…. ok sure… I have read their climatic evidence… Ive also read what other scientists are saying about an impending mini ice age… geeeeee…. I spose either its global warming.. a mini iceage… or nothing…. I dont rely on weather reports a week away… now they are trying to predict climate.. which I think is WAY more nebulous…. I wasnt trained in climatology… though I have acquainted myself with some of the basic theories…. but one thing I know.. is that cycles are natures way… how to say if this is manmade or natural? how to say if it will happen or which direction it will go? we could have global warming today.. and tommorrow a giant volcano could explode pumping so much ash into the air that it would change our climate for 200 years all by itself…. besides with the world economy in disarray just WHO is going to invest in this stuff just for the sake of being green? well.. yeah.. a few… but not enough… if they come up with an alternative energy that makes sense people will use it… anyway people can save or make money they will…. these meetings are pointless unless they figure out just how to motivate people financially….

janetb53

Great points River Eyes. Most of the industry that I work in recognizes GW as fact at this point and the inertia is definately pointing toward investment in ‘improving’ our emmissions and lowering energy use…both great no matter what side you are on. I do get a queezy feeling when I hear GW mudt be wrong because it’s so cold now. It is about the entire planet, most importantly the ice shield and tremendous capacity for them to hold fresh water. Their melting and falling away is indidputeably due to climate change (now the new word, not Global Warming-it fits much better). I know, some is done in guest given it’s so frigin cold. We just all want summer…NOW. It does however move the inertia away from what I beleive is a positive step in the right direction. What RiverEyes points out so well is that one causes another. The fires over California had a great effect on both regional and global conditions, all effecting weather.

As far as monetary motivation, I think it helps (not cures) many of the problems in the economy we have today. Changing to CFL’s is no different than driving a high(er) eff car. Even with gas prices lower for now, they will go up again. Any investment in saving energy means saving dollars. Now this motivates me! Of course discretion is good. Break even is a win for the environment and a crown for our conscience.
    Great forum to have on IDO.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

I can’t believe I’m gonna get sucked into this again…….
    On second thought, I’m not. Good luck comrades. I’m going back to the fishing info.

dd

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

I agree that reducing emissions, moving toward more ‘green’ fuels, etc are all great goals to have… for the GW’ers out there, though, I find a great fault in the logic that we should do these things because it’s causing the planet to heat up. Using that logic, if the current trend over the last 8 years (that, in FACT, global temps have dropped) continues for another decade or so, that we should increase emissions because the achieved reductions have ’caused’ global cooling…

Look at the real data (not the fluff put out by the chicken-littles) – global temps (air, ground, and ocean) have trended downward over the last eight years… it’s no big surprise that global temps track most closely with solar activity and solar activity have tracked downward over the last decade….

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

its the solar activity that I was speaking of that has caused a group of scientist to predict a mini (or worse) ice age.. they say the amount of green house gases has only a minimal effect compared to the amount of sun power reaching the earth.. and currently the suns output is down…. this could cause some real problems with people preparing for it being hot.. and not even guessing it might be cold instead… they are worrying about heat and drought resistant crops… instead they may need crops that are cold resistant and mature quickly…. cold has a lot larger possibility for causing crop failure since freezing is a buzz kill.. durring the middle ages they had what they termed a little Ice Age http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ice_Age
    a period of reduced sun activity and increased volcano activity.. anyway some say the current trend for solar activity will soon equal that they theorize existed at that time…. thus causing significant cooling….

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

Rivereyes… thank you thank you thank you… you’ve done your reading and obviously you’re not a sheep following the idiot shepherds that so many follow… it’s about time people get their heads out of their and realize they’re being played by so-called ‘concerned’ earth-citizens… these folks screaming that mankind is causing global warming have a financial and/or political interest in having the masses believe in and ‘buy’ into this crap…

I hope I don’t sound too militant here but this sort of ‘moth to the fire’ bull really heats me up (no pun intended)…

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I would argue with his logic, but I loved Joe’s comment on Garage Logic today:

They are delaying switching TVs to digital because we cant figure out how to hook a box up to our TV, yet we have no problem manipulating the weather of the planet.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

I would argue with his logic, but I loved Joe’s comment on Garage Logic today:

They are delaying switching TVs to digital because we cant figure out how to hook a box up to our TV, yet we have no problem manipulating the weather of the planet.

Hail the Flashlight King!

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

one thing I read today.. they theorize it will take more than 1 thousand years to reverse the damage so far… so I guess there isnt much hurry… Id say regardless of whether its global warming or not.. its already too little too late…. which means even more we simply need to be intelligent about our use of energy…. start with efficiency… at some point we will need supplemental energy supplies… now is the time to start being serious about that as well… at some point we will simply run out of ways to pump more c02 into the air….
    the weird thing to me I guess is why they call it global warming… today I was reading about changes to the north atlantic currents that may trigger an ice age in Europe… its weird to read them saying the polar ice caps will melt… yet ice ages will start?

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

I believe this is the same thing RE and King are talking about. According to the Russians we are going into an ice age. This came out a couple weeks ago but I didn’t pay too much attention to it seeing it was from Russian “scientists”. New Ice Age

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

B C,

good article… it was a little light on the facts but generally they covered the relationship between solar activity and earth temperature fairly well. I wouldn’t knock the scientists just because they’re Russian… In fact, I would venture to say that Russian (old Soviet anyways) geological sciences are probably in better shape than most other countries (and less politically influenced)…

I don’t want to sound like a conspiracy-theory guy but let’s say you’re a politician and you need to have a ’cause’ that carries a high probability of success. Let’s also say that you have the same information that these Russion scientists have – that the planet will be entering a natural cycle of cooling over the next 40-50 years and that over the last 10-15 years, it’s been in a cycle of warming. You also know how effective the “State of Fear” can be in mobilizing emotional concern and support. With this information, you grab a megaphone and start shouting about “Global Warming” and how mankind is causing it (an absolute requirement – if mankind wasn’t the cause and you told people the real truth, that solar activity was to blame, then there’d be nothing you could do)… you tell people that you have a plan that can reverse the problem (although you better hedge against it anyway and say that it may take thousands of years to reverse) and you scream indignantly about how the ‘other side’ isn’t taking it seriously and that they’re evil pillagers of the land, sea and air. You tell the people they need to put ‘your guys’ in power so they can do the right thing… lo and behold, after assuming power and implementing policy, the planet starts to cool – see? you’re a success! You’re brilliant! You saved the planet!

So what happens to these policy makers when, in 40 years or so, the planet is plunged into another mini-Ice Age? That’s too far off in the future to worry about right now…

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

http://www.iceagenow.com
    there are more than one crack pot site on the internet… I guess you have to go with your instincts as well as your intellect….. but sunspot activity which predicates solar activity/power is WAY down… lets say we had an ice house…. it was made of glass and when it was bright and sunny it got really hot in there…. so hows it feel at night?? guess Id rather have a reliable heat source… at the momment our heat source is set on low power… sometimes it does that.. sometimes power slowdowns last for a few hundred years… sometimes longer than that.. sometimes less… this is not something that I have confidence in the ability of scientists to predict… Im confident that there has been global warming… Im not confident its going to matter much because the power of the sun is the main factor and right now its clearly not producing as much power… if this is a lie then why are the global warming people not debunking it? they seem to be just ignoring it and hoping it goes away… why would they do that if they are truly scientist and truly care about what happens to the world….?

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

Quote:

B C,

good article… it was a little light on the facts but generally they covered the relationship between solar activity and earth temperature fairly well. I wouldn’t knock the scientists just because they’re Russian… In fact, I would venture to say that Russian (old Soviet anyways) geological sciences are probably in better shape than most other countries (and less politically influenced)…

I wasn’t really knocking the Reds, just making fun of them a bit.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

more food for fodder… speaking of volcanos they are charting an almost certain eruption in Alaska… and some feel there maybe one in yellowstone as well.. a FEW think that one could be major… but in general neither is thought at this time to be major.. the yellowstone one is generally thought to be a minor explosion that could remove dirt in a hole the size of a football field or smaller… still it seems there may be an upswing in volcanic activity at the same time as a reduction in sun power… combined with possible huge fires in the west from drought and massive pine wood die offs there could be enough smoke and ash to further reduce sunlight…. looks like maybe wind power is a better choice?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28914322

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.