Torrents?

• walleye_wisdom
    Big Sky Country Helena, MT (Adel, IA home)

I find a lot of useful stuff from the sites that search the internet for them. Just curious how many other people here regularly download torrents?

I’ve found some incredibly useful information through these forms of downloading!

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

this is so weird… I just discovered them 2 days ago…. but yeah.. they look very useful…

haywardbound
    New Brighton, MN

I’ve heard of them, but what are they?

walleye_wisdom

They are a way to transfer large files over the internet. Like books, music, movies, ect.

First you need a Torrent file “downloading program”. The one I use, and it’s a free download, is called Vuze.

Once you have that, you can use torrent search engines like http://www.isohunt.com and look for files. You can find full length movies, music, just about anything you can want.

Kind of confusing to explain, but when you see it setup, it’s incredibly simple!

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

Definition: Torrents or BitTorrents are files shared with the BitTorrent peer-to-peer network. Peer-to-peer means that the files are shared by individual computers on the network rather than stored on one central server.

BitTorrent sharing distributes the download by downloading pieces of a file from many different sources, rather than downloading the whole thing from one computer or server. This makes it much less taxing on the individual computers involved, and it offers some protection that someone hasn’t slipped malicious or corrupted files into the system.

Just like lime wire were you download from other peers. Most of these files are illegal! They offer a lot of movies/games/music etc. Be careful when using this method as there is a good amount of spyware and viruses.

My recommendation would be to not use this method.

walleye_wisdom

I agree you need to be careful, but in the 2 years i’ve been downloading them, i’ve never gotten a virus, or had any spyware issues that have hurt me. That being said, i daily run virus checks and spyware/ad-ware checks.

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

That is a very rare case. And in your case walleye wisdom i’m assuming that you know a little bit more on the subject then he. If you know what to look for etc, you wont have a problem, but the fact still remains that most torrents are illegal downloads shared between two parties. (movies, music, software, etc)

To tell you the truth I don’t know what I would download from a torrent that would not be illegal…. maybe an owners manual?

walleye_wisdom

I agree, i have an idea what to look for, and if you were to just jump in, it may be a bit dangerous.

I’m not sure about the file sharing being illegal for sure though. I think they have found a way to skirt around the copyright laws, for now. I think the biggest illegal action they fear of is people copying, and then selling those copies?

FishingFool

Gotta be careful.I got into a bit of trouble with torrents.The powers that be are starting to watch em like “free” music files…Don’t say you haven’t been warned. Ps,I have been into em for years…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.