Red Lake MN

• masemlin
    Fountain City, WI

I was in Red Lake this past weekend. I went through Outdoor Authority, and left from Rodgers launch. It was terribly cold up there with the temps in the minus range most of the weekend. There were 10 guys with me, in two ice houses. Between all of us we caught seven walleyes, one pike, and one sheephead all weekend. The fishing was extremly slow. It didn’t stop us from having a good time up there though.

If anyone has been up to Red Lake before please share your stories. I was also wondering if there is a better time of the winter to be up in that region? Let me know, because I would like to get up there next year…

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

hi Matthew,
    WELCOME to IDO, think you will like it around here.

to answer your question. I think Red will be better fishing, esp Crappies in Feb and early March. I think most of the Crappies have not yet moved into the eastern sections of the lake yet.
    Also check out the URL forums listed in the MN section. there are a lot of reports there.
    good luck.
    Jack

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

I know a couple groups that have been up to URL in the last week or so and they both said it was slow.I was up on LOW a week ago and we caught fish but it was slow for LOW standards.Even the Resorts said its been a slower year and are moving houses regularily to try to get on fish.Not sure if the weather has been a big factor or all the snow on the lake or maybe just a slower year.They dont always jump out of the hole Either way its still a good time to get out and I am headed back to LOW next week.This time we are going up to the Angle with sleds to try to find some better fishing.I hope it isnt -40 this time around

masemlin
    Fountain City, WI

I know it was so cold up there and we didn’t leave the ice house unless we had too.
    I got the same report from Dave, who is the owner of Outdoor Authority. He was moving his ice houses constently. I did notice that everyone else up there was doing the same thing, because I saw ice houses all loaded up and moving on and off the lake.
    We were thinking that we would go up to URL in December and try to get in the action on the “Center Bar”. I just don’t know if it would be worth it…

scottsteil
    Central MN

This is a tough time of year. First because it is very difficult to get around and second because mid winter is transition time for fish. March is a far better time to fish Red for crappies, for walleye, early ice is far better.

masemlin
    Fountain City, WI

Thanks for all the advice guys. I think I’m going to book for December, because we are all after walleyes.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.