Overharvest of a fishery vs two lines proposal

• Castaway
    Otsego,MN

I didnt read threw all of this but I hope someday this state gets its head out of its a$$ and allows 2 lines in the summer.I dont see anything that tells me it will cause over harvest.If it did pool 4 would have been fished out a long time ago.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Good point, Id almost bet that electronics and one pole catch more fish than two lines without electronics in most situations. Here in Iowa you can use 15 hooks in any order but a limit is still a limit no matter how they are used. Does it help the fisherman get thier limits sooner, yes. Does this many lines foulhook more fish, no because it dosen’t matter what pole those fish are caught on. If theres a certain limit on one lake its because of eighter the size of the fish population verses the amount of people catching certain numbers of fish. I don’t think it matters how many lines you have in the water when it comes to over fishing, a limit is still a limt, it just ups the odds of a better catch in a shorter amount of time. Theres variables on both sides but I think thats why the DNR test nets and makes creel survays, to post limits on certain bodies of water so they always have a sustained population. I don’t think two lines hurt anything with the DNR putting limits on certain bodies of water, I think they know whats going on if thier creel survays are up to date.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

There are no fish left in P4.

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

Ive said this before

Most places I see where you can use 2 or more lines most people only use 1

When fishing is good you cant hardly run 2 and 1 is enough

A good fisherman is likely to get a limit with 1 rod and a poor fisherman will most likely still get skunked with 2

In a lot of cases it gets tough to run 2 rods even for experienced guys

You still have a limit but you will still have crooks

I only want 2 lines so if Im out by myself and maybe want to troll a couple lines or maybe fish for walleyes and cast for a Musky at the same time.

Ya you get those times on Mille Lacs where fish are commiting suicide and even getting some help but I really doubt that when the bite is that good people would use 2 lines anyway.So I dont think the mortality rate would be much different.

Ill have to get back to ya on the Pompas Hypicritical Blow Hard thing

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

I’m just wondering if any of you have gone salmon fishing (in a boat) with or without a guide and only using one line per person? And if so what were the results? In the case of using more than one line there..it’s a matter of trying to find the pattern so that the client who paid $650 for a half day!!! can get his/hers moneys worth. Those fish (and most others?) patterns change on an hourly basis. That’s why we pay you “guides” the big bucks! (please don’t start on me about the big bucks…that’s another discussion!I’m just trying to make the point that guides get paid more than most guys make and why they save for a year or longer to take one trip!!) BTW…those guys that fish once a year aren’t looking to poach any ones spots. They need equipment to do that? And I’d bet most don’t have it.

danno
    Central MN

NEWSFLASH!!!

There are more areas to fish in MN than just Mille Lacs and Pool 4.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

When did that start?

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

Quote:

There are no fish left in P4.

After meeting BrianK I wont eat fish out of pool 4

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Quote:

NEWSFLASH!!!

There are more areas to fish in MN than just Mille Lacs and Pool 4.

I wonder if that’s why they chose to call it the land of 10,000 lakes rather than the land of one lake and a river pool.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

That was good John!

I’ve heard fables of a P 2…but just thought that was in bed time stories.

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

I know a lot of guides.Most of them are lucky their wife has a good job and insurance coverage

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

I don’t think it matters how many lines you have in the water when it comes to over fishing, a limit is still a limt, it just ups the odds of a better catch in a shorter amount of time.

If two lines, why not 5, or 10, or 100? After all, if the limit is 6 walleyes, what’s wrong with using 50 lines? Can’t keep more than 6 anyway. Right!?

jldii

I have to to stir the pot on this subject one last time.

So many people think you have to have the use of a second line in order to have a good day fishing. What does that tell you about your abilities as a fisherman?

If you have a bad day and get skunked using 2 lines, does that make you twice as bad a fisherman? It would sure seem that way. Maybe the problem is in your head and how it works!

You need to learn more about your prey instead of uping the odds with a second line to help tilt the odds in your favor.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Jack, I was looking for you at the boat show today….

I was only going to buy you 1 beer.

Even though I could have bought you 2.

No really…we stopped by to see if you were there…

danno
    Central MN

I guess we all need to fill our tackleboxes with bobbers and grab the oars for the canoe to really make ourselves feel like REAL fishermen, eh?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

To whom it may concern,

There are other fish out there than walleyes too…believe it or not.

Many in the catfishing community that fish the MN River and inland portion of the Mississippi would love to use two or even three lines with different baits on for different species of fish.

When a person sits out all night hoping for the chance of ONE good fish….I’ll take all the lines I can legally.

I think I read some place… “Judge ye not a man’s worth by the number of fishing lines he runs.”

Btw…my boat is Catch, Photo and Release.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

You keep talking as if using two lines is going to be the end of fishing as MN knows it. Let’s not exaggerate.

But anybody who’s been on here long enough knows you have a posting history of “stirring the pot” – more so than I do…and then you question people’s fishing abilities b/c they want to use two lines? Not showing a lot of class there imo…

If BrianK has done his homework and knows a backwater cat hole with 3 honey spots on it – why shouldn’t he put a line into each one? (but only w/a 6″ bullhead of course)

What about the shore fisherman who wants his kids to have constant action so they don’t get bored w/it and want to go back to the couch and play xbox all day. Should he be allowed an extra line??

For every “theory” you have on multiple lines destroying fisheries, it can be disproved just by looking across the river into WI. How you plan to argue that I’m not sure?

Like BK said – there are more fish in MN than wet socks…give it a rest.

Wish you the best on the water and a tight line (since you can only use 1)

big_g
    Isle, MN

Slop, that is the question I posed…. what if 2 lines were allowed on most lakes, but say, Mille Lacs was exempt. Most of the posters are referencing Mille Lacs, which always has its own set of rules. How many here, would be happy with 2 lines statewide, minus Mille Lacs ?

big G

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

Quote:

So many people think you have to have the use of a second line in order to have a good day fishing. What does that tell you about your abilities as a fisherman?

If you have a bad day and get skunked using 2 lines, does that make you twice as bad a fisherman? It would sure seem that way. Maybe the problem is in your head and how it works!

You need to learn more about your prey instead of uping the odds with a second line to help tilt the odds in your favor.

Jack, nobody said they need to have two lines. They would like the option. So let’s go over your comments again. You say that people don’t have good fishing ability because they want to use two lines. Someone works for a living and doesn’t have all the time in the world to spend on the water, so that makes them bad for wanting two lines to increase their odds. You have said instead of two lines they should practice and study. Say, isn’t this the same type of person that hires a guide?? Someone who doesn’t have much time to be on the water. Someone who wants to increase their odds by hiring someone to show them where the fish are? You must have a real high opinion of your clients. Do you despise your customers because they want to up their odds?? And it has already been brought up about the number of fish that get slaughtered by guides every year. Maybe guiding should be illegal because you are getting paid to take these people you think are so bad for the sport to go out and kill fish. I think once again the word hypocrite needs to come up.

Oh, and before people start saying we shouldn’t insult Jack or his profession, I am not making a personal attack on Jack, just talking generally about Walleye guides who are bringing limits in for their customers every day. And Jack has been doing a good job insulting people. Read the post about Jack’s honest opinion of anglers. He may not have said it personally about one person, but he insulted a group of anglers. Not to mention he made some comments about Indian’s (go marry one) and Hmong’s (hundreds lining the shore of Minnetonka) in this thread that were not all that positive. I do think Jack was showing his passion and backtracked a bit after some of these comments, but they didn’t look too good to start with (at least to me). Granted nobody here cares what is said about the natives because we all have the same opinion on nets, but if those comments are going to be thrown out there you need to be able to handle comments pointing out the hypocrisy.

timmy

Quote:

I don’t recall any posts stating that in order to have a good day, two lines was needed. Instead, I saw posts indicating that people would PREFER to have the option. Nobody is saying that using one line makes it a bad day. If that were the case, none of us would still be fishing in MN.

You stated that “We need to learn more about our prey instead of upping the odds using an extra line………” That is a peculiar line coming from a guy that makes his living depending on people paying cash to up their odds through the use of a guide……If those people didn’t make the decision to up their odds, you’d be out of a job. You seem to be against people upping their odds unless you are the benefactor.

Tim

danno
    Central MN

bradg

It seems to me also that most of the discussion has been about two things:
    1. Mille Lacs
    2. Walleye Fishing only

What about other Lakes and other species?

Jack…Do you feel as strongly about this subject for all species and waters, or just primarily about walleyes on Mille Lacs? Just a curious question not judging at all everyone is entitled to their opinion and some feel very strongly one way or another and some really don’t care.

I OCCASIONALLY would like the OPTION of having 2 lines, but if it never happens…And these applications would most always be for species other than walleye.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Well, I started this whole mess so I feel obligated to say something here.

My intent was to bring some logical, and reasonable discussion to this issue, and I understand people have opposing views, but please keep it civil. Personal attacks do not help, and bring nothing to the table. Please bring them elsewhere.

I do not feel 2 lines would effect the harvest of fish significantly, but I do feel it will effect the overall delayed mortality of fish since many more people every day are practicing CPR.

I do feel this needs to be addressed by the DNR. As much as it hurts me to say, they know more about the biology and management of lakes then me.

Guides, the internet, magazines, Families, Friends, locators, GPS etc. all help us become better fisherman. You can argue that this increased knowledge is what is harming the fishery, but this is not a valid concern. They are not going to outlaw guides anymore then they are going to outlaw large HP motors since getting to fish faster will kill more fish Guides do catch more fish then the vast majority of us “regular” fisherman, but within their limits (daily and possession), are managed accordingly by the DNR. To argue that angler A kills more fish then angler B is not relevant. These lakes are managed to handle this pressure, and will continue to do so.

I also think guides spend more time on the water, and their entire lives are made off of the resource. Without a fishery, they do not have a job. With that said, THEY HAVE A VESTED INTEREST IN THE FISHERIES OF THIS STATE. How many of you would do something that would harm your industry and decrease your profits, lifestyle, enjoyment, etc. I am guessing not many.

Mille Lacs, as most of us know, has different management (tribal, not biology) then any other body of water in MN, and therefore, needs to be addressed differently then any other body of water. I would argue with Jack that this lake should not have 2 lines for this reason. It is the exception to the rule IMHO.

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

Even if this did pass which I dont think it will anytime soon as it always gets bundled up with some other garbage and gets tossed aside.Mille Lacs would possibly be exempt just because it gets its own rules because you have to deal with the quota up there.Although you would still have to convince me that even 2 lines there would make a difference which I dont think it would.Just like reducing the limit to 4 fish from 6 has little impact so they say at least on most years.It all evens out even on Mille Lacs.One year they are jumping in the boat and the next you cant hardly buy a bite.And yes there are more lakes and rivers other than ML and pool 4

I say we all email the state and ask for 100 lines and maybe they will get sick of that and to shut us up give us 2

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Quote:

But what do I know, I’m just a pompas hipocritical blow hard, right Mr. Ellis?

Your words again but i couldn’t agree more.

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Quote:

But anybody who’s been on here long enough knows you have a posting history of “stirring the pot” – more so that I do…and then you question people’s fishing abilities b/c they want to use two lines? Not showing a lot of class there imo…

Careful you are going to hurt Jack’s feelings and he’s going to run home crying cuz the other kids kicked snow in his face.

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

Ouch Everyone is entitled to their own opinion even Jack I dont agree with everything he says about Mille Lacs but I still dont mind hearing anyones opinion.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I have gotten a bit side tracked and have focused on walleyes primarily. Simply because Jack drug me down. Actually, walleye the most fragile of fish per studies from the DNR and since a large majority of fisherman in MN target this famed fish. I think that is why this conversation has forgotten about our brethren. Besides, those opposing this would have no real basis to argue this if we were talking about anything but walleye.

I will never believe that I’m less of a fisherman because I use two rods(really Jack??), nor will I accept that the MN DNR knows more about managing fisheries than any other state. A spade is a spade. It’s blatantly obvious that fisheries can be managed properly with anglers using multiple lines. IMO, the DNR is arrogant and flaunting it’s power. Why is there a size limit on bullheads used for bait?? Another great example of how the DNR refuses to listen to the people and flaunt it’s arrogance. “We know better”. Watching how the DNR handles netting in Mille Lacs each spring, complete idiocracy. They supposedly have the inherent right to protect our fisheries. By god, two lines would devastate every fishing hole in the state. However, let’s have the Indians rape and pillage Red, Mille Lacs, Leech and other lakes each spring. I personally have little respect for the DNR at times. I know there are good people within the organization trying to do the right things, but apparently the management at the top continues to hold them back. Ron Payer needs to go. I feel the DNR needs someone who is open to accepting change. The DNR tells us over 20% of walleyes die once water temps hit 70 degrees, yet they don’t close walleye fishing July – Aug. As I stated before, I’m as guilty as anyone, but change is hard on us all. The DNR is doing it’s best to talk out both sides of it’s mouth.

Jack, who cares if hooking mortality was 127,000 pounds in 2007. What would it had been with another line?? One will never know. The fact is walleye fishing should have been closed once water temps hit 70 degrees. Per the DNR studies. My point in posting those facts, was to show Baby Mallard that 20% of all walleyes caught do NOT die. Which is ludicrous if you think about it. Lake Pepin would be a pool of dead fish come April. It was also to show that no matter what depth these fish are caught at, they die after being released in warm water. So, why isn’t the season closed during this high stress time of year??

So, the basic argument against 2 lines….Hooking mortality for walleyes. The DNR have given us enough facts to show if they managed the lakes properly this would be a non-factor.

What is the next argument for opposing two lines?? Any of you bass, muskie, panfish or catfish guys have any reasons why your species of choice would be erradicated by using two lines??

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Kooty…I think if I were Ron, I would be worried about you!

There is a reason why bullheads are limited to 7 inches for bait…but that’s another thread too….along with taking 3 years and still no change in the law.

As far as cat guys and two rods? Non Factor…most use two roda anyway (where legal )

Viewing 30 posts - 151 through 180 (of 339 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.