Overharvest of a fishery vs two lines proposal

• mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

So yes..I am for 2 lines. I’m also for a early season catch and release on basses, too. But that’s for another forum. Maybe we could ask the Almighty Obama to fix this problem for us. He’s going to solve the rest of our problems?!

Derek Hanson

Not that it really matters, but I have fished in WI plenty of times, and I am not impressed at all. Their muskie fishery is really pretty pathetic on most of their lakes. The fish are small and very poorly managed when compared to MN. I couldn’t care less if the sconnies come to fish in MN, but if they are stating the only reason they would or would not come to fish in MN is over whether they can fish with 2 lines or not, I would rather have those kind of people stay right where their at. Catching a lot of fish with one line isn’t enough for you? You got to have 2 lines? I don’t see anything coming from this except for a 5 year old mentality saying “me, me, me, me, me!!!!!” I want this, I want that. If you are saying that the only reason you want 2 lines (although I doubt it), is to find a new pattern? LOL. Like it’s really hard to switch your method of fishing within minutes. I am embarassed to be a MN resident with so many people pushing for this 2 line proposal. A bunch of selfish people.

I guess if this goes through, which I highly doubt will, we will have to put an asterisk next to any new state record fish caught. Since you all know that 1 line has only been allowed for as long as anyone remembers. It will be kind of like the steroids of baseball fiasco.

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

Quote:

What the heck is wrong with you people? Catching a lot of fish with one line isn’t enough for you? You got to have 2 lines? I don’t see anything coming from this except for a 5 year old mentality saying “me, me, me, me, me!!!!!” I want this, I want that. If you are saying that the only reason you want 2 lines (although I doubt it), is to find a new pattern? LOL. Like it’s really hard to switch your method of fishing within minutes. I am embarassed to be a MN resident with so many people pushing for this 2 line proposal. A bunch of selfish people.

Then leave if you don’t like MN!! Are you from Fance?

I’m proud of this state. Yes..it has it’s flaws. But…it’s one of the best fisheries in the country if not the world!! Fishing with 2 lines (BTW..almost all other states do this…and I’m not saying I or anyone else would do this all the time…kind of hard to cast crankbaits for bass 2 at a time.. ) is not going to deplete the state of it’s fish. And you think WI has poor waters,, too? Tell that to Erik Hatajaa (sp). Now there’s some pretty poor fishing!!

Derek Hanson

I like MN the way it is. You are the one pushing to change the current MN regulation. Why don’t you leave if you don’t like it.

And for the comment about Erik, yes he does do quite well. He also has spent a lot of time to find those lakes and spots. The claim that since Erik does quite well fishing in WI does not support the idea that everyone in WI does well fishing there.

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

Quote:

and I’m not saying I or anyone else would do this all the time…kind of hard to cast crankbaits for bass 2 at a time.. )

??? I said it was hard to do meaning I wouldn’t do it. I wouldn’t/couldn’t fish for bass with two lines cranking or otherwise?

And you said WI has a poor fishery…Where do you fish? I’ve had nothing but good luck anywhere in the state? Ever watch John Galespie’s (sp again) Waters and Woods? That’s some good fishing there? Almost all of his shows are in WI? So I guess you would say that the fishery would be better if they could only use one line, too?

And then maybe we should not use two lines in the winter for ice fishing either?! Why is ice fishing so special? Should we push to have that changed just so you can use one line there, too?!! There are lots of people that abuse that, too!! And so you get your limit faster? More space on the water for a guy like me that fishes and releases. I’m helping all you meat eaters out!!

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

Quote:

You are the one pushing to change the current MN regulation. Why don’t you leave if you don’t like it.

And I never said I didn’t like it…you did? All I said was I agree with having two lines. Just like we do in the winter. I also said I probably wouldn’t use them either. But I do fish the river for walleyes in the spring on P2. I could see jigging 2 lines there? That’s all catch and release. Down on P3, P4, etc they can use two lines? You need to go down there and tell them (the MNs) they can’t use them if they are true MN sportsmen.

VSRangerMan
    Chippewa Falls,WI

Quote:

Running 2 lines is all about upping the ante and “hooking” more fish, right.

HOWEVER,
    if that were honestly the case, then why isn’t 99% of the fisherman in this state FLOCKING to Upper Red to catch oodles and oodles and oodles of walleyes?

Isnt this a good thing?

Quote:

Why, cause you can only have 2 fish.

Quote:

My belief is that if the state went to 2 lines, you would see fish limits cut in half straight across the board for all species.
    Meaning:
    2 walleyes
    5 crappies
    5-10 sunnies
    1 pike
    zero muskies

None of what you stated here sounds like a bad thing to me! The only thing I see that would need to be changed is in the regs for the possesion of 2 bag limits.Which would allow the average family (or group of guys) to at least have a meal on hand,if so desired! This I think would be huge in $ spent in your local communities!Lower bag limits, 2 possesion limits = more time & $ spent across the board.Adding a lets say $20.00 extra line stamp,would people buy into it?I most definately would.Multiply this times # of stamps sold = major $.More food for thought.When you go shopping for a new rod-reel combo,being you can only run 1 line most people I think would buy just that 1 combo.Now if a person can run 2 lines are you going to purchase 1 combo or 2? This will have a effect on more line purchased,lures purchased…ect. When I go looking for new gear I allways buy 2 if not 3+ of everything.You have 2 hands & a pair of matching technique specific combos fits them perfectly! Now Im just trying to figure out how the new Legend Extreme combos are going to appear in my rig.

Quote:

With that said, would you purchase a 2-line conservation license to go to Mille Lacs to only be able to bring back one or two fish?

I most definately would! I fish for the total experience not necessarily for just for the harvest.Take a look at last fall with weather conditions the way they were & reports coming from Mille Lacs.I would definately think tourisim in MN would have gotten a boost from having a 2 line regulation.Better reports here on IDO = more large fish caught catching the eye of alot of anglers.I know from experience if a group of people go to an area & dont do well they will find another destination.This could be that they showed up under poor weather patterns but has an influence just the same.In that same trip they cross the border into neighboring state & are able to use 2-3 lines per angler still not doing well but catch rates go up because of more lines used or different regulations.Where do you think they will return to? I do think multiple line use might cut down $ spent on the guide buisiness as people would be able to find fish faster running 2 lines.Therefore guides would be the first I can only assume to oppose multi line use.Being a part time guide myself Mn. would be one of the few states that I would consider hiring a guide on new waters before possibly giving it a go myself first. Just my $.02

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

Quote:

None of what you stated here sounds like a bad thing to me! The only thing I see that would need to be changed is in the regs for the possesion of 2 bag limits.Which would allow the average family (or group of guys) to at least have a meal on hand,if so desired! This I think would be huge in $ spent in your local communities!Lower bag limits, 2 possesion limits = more time & $ spent across the board.Adding a lets say $20.00 extra line stamp,would people buy into it?I most definately would.Multiply this times # of stamps sold = major $.More food for thought.When you go shopping for a new rod-reel combo,being you can only run 1 line most people I think would buy just that 1 combo.Now if a person can run 2 lines are you going to purchase 1 combo or 2? This will have a effect on more line purchased,lures purchased…ect. When I go looking for new gear I allways buy 2 if not 3+ of everything.You have 2 hands & a pair of matching technique specific combos fits them perfectly! Now Im just trying to figure out how the new Legend Extreme combos are going to appear in my rig.

Ok…my head hurts…

I just like to fish.

VSRangerMan
    Chippewa Falls,WI

Yours does how do you think mine feels? Im ready for Wow what a topic Whos the guy who got the ball rolling?

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Whos the guy who got the ball rolling?

Ever since the Sturgeon Excursion up at Wigwam…he’s been a trouble maker.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Just thought I would add this to feed the discussion. I’m in the process of planning a trip to fish the Missouri River for blue catfish this spring. I thought I would review the Missouri fishing regulations for some of their do’s and don’ts. Here is something from the Missouri general fishing rules which draws an interesting focus on how many lines can you fish —

SPORT FISHING: General Rules
    Methods: You may take fish by pole and line, trotline, throwline, limb line, bank line and jug line. If you use more than 3 poles (or two poles on the Mississippi River) at any one time, the additional poles must be labeled with your full name and address. Regardless of the method or number of poles, you may not use more than a total of 33 hooks at any one time; except on the Mississippi River the maximum is 50 hooks at one time. If fishing on the Mississippi River and on other Missouri waters at the same time, nor more than 50 hooks may be used and not more than 33 on waters other than the Mississippi River.

And we are worried about fishing two lines??

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Hmmm…I was wondering what that means….and I’m not trying to disrespect anyone from MO or the MO DNR.

Would this mean it takes 33 hooks to catch a fish?

It doesn’t matter how many hooks are used, your not going to catch a fish?

Just more questions.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

The state of Michigan is also considering increasing their current regulation of using two fishing lines per angler (which has been in existence for 80 years) to three fishing lines per angler.

Here’s a couple of statements from the MI DNR Fisheries Division (August 28, 2008).

What are the potential biological implications of this proposal?

• There are none that can be readily identified, but there is insufficient information available to predict all of the potential impacts if there is increased harvest (e.g., potential for additional harvest of northern pike during ice fishing). While some anglers may reach their daily bag limit more quickly or frequently using an additional line, it is likely that other anglers will be less efficient harvesting fish with additional lines.

Do the fishery biologists believe this change would have any impact to the fishery?

• An increase in the line limit may increase effort, but since most anglers do not catch their daily bag limit of fish it is very unlikely such a change would result in a significantly higher level of harvest that could negatively impact a fishery. In certain situations, especially ice fishing for vulnerable species such as northern pike and muskellunge, there may be an overall increase in catch.

jldii

Brad, I am only clicking on your response because it was the last one, so what I am about to say is not directed towards you so no offense is intended.

All of you who want to see 2 lines need to think about something. Fishing pressure has multiplied many times over in the last few years. That trend is not going to stop anytime soon. Consider for a moment what fishing would be like if everybody could use 2 lines per person. Instead of going to your favorite panfish pond with your kids and having to share it with 10 other boats using 1 line per person, you are now sharing it with 20 boats using 1 line per person. That in effect is what you are doing if we were to allow a 2 line regulation, twice the fishing pressure. Instead of 20 people in 10 boats using 1 line each, you will have the same thing as 40 people in 20 boats fishing with one line each.

In todays world where the number of people fishing on any body of water at any time is growing at a rapidly increasing pace, do we really need to add to the fishing pressure by allowing everyone of them another line.

Here in the Twin Cities many people fish Lake Minnetonka. Everywhere you go on that lake you will see litterally hundreds of Hmoungs fishing from any piece of shore that is considered public access. Double those numbers, and you will have an idea what allowing 2 lines per person will do to our resources.

The times of exploiting our abilities to catch fish are behind us, forever. Now and forever more is the time for us all to be pro-active and stem the increasing pressure on our limited numbers of resources. We can only make room for more people to use these resources by staying with the 1 line per person laws we already have.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I hear trends in fishing licenses is going down. The big worry is that there are fewer and fewer people getting into the fishing and hunting sports. Why do you draw a distinction on using two lines in winter, but not on soft water?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Everywhere you go on that lake you will see litterally hundreds of Hmoungs fishing from any piece of shore that is considered public access. Double those numbers, and you will have an idea what allowing 2 lines per person will do to our resources.

This is said with a smile on my face. Each one of these hundreds of people have a right to catch (and take home) a limit of fish…using one line or, if the law allows two…just like you or I.

I don’t understand how giving them or anyone else another line is going to change the harvest level enough to make a difference. In fact, no that I think about it with the additional fishing pressure these anglers have brought over the last 20 years, I would think we would be seeing empty lakes by now if these “extra” lines were so bad.

Just a thought.

jldii

Quote:

I hear trends in fishing licenses is going down. The big worry is that there are fewer and fewer people getting into the fishing and hunting sports. Why do you draw a distinction on using two lines in winter, but not on soft water?

Hooking mortality, and how little more coverage you will have ice fishing.

Brian, my example was just to give people a visual idea of how much more pressure allowing 2 lines instead of 1 will create.

Also, fishing pressure over the last 10+ years has grown over 60% from years past. While licensse sales might be dropping, the numbers of people fishing is still growing.

My honest opinion is rather harsh, but I’m going to throw it out there any way. If you need 2 lines to fish with in order to feel like you are getting the most out of your time on the water, you are out there for all the wrong reasons and the sport would be much better off if you stayed on shore an played video games. Fishing IS NOT a matter of making contact with the most fish possible in any time frame allowed. If it was, marry an American Indian and get yourself a gill net, because any 2 line legislation is only a hair short of giving everybody a gill net.

If you can’t catch enough fish using 1 line, maybe you need to accept the fact you are not as good a fisherman as you thought you were. STUDY! PRACTICE! If that doesn’t work, accept the fact you are not really as good as you’ve been telling yourself you are after all these years.

Sometime the truth sucks and hurts at the same time.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Jack, I love ya like a brotha! But have you seen the cities that pop up on the reefs and flats of Mille Lacs and any number of lakes and Rivers across the State? Rattle Reels, tip ups, dead sticks…Lines, lines, lines! Still, the lakes have fish. People have more access to fish in the Winter I would argue than any other time of year. No boats needed. Yet the Limit remains the same. And for hooking mortality…how many fish take hooks too deep in Winter? I would bet a lot!
    Anyway, that is my $.02. I am not saying your or my thinking is right or wrong. But if one rod in summer is the rule, then why not in Winter????

jldii

I guess your right Tuck. If 1 line is all thats allowed in the summer it should be the same in the winter. So instead of trying to get a 2 line amendment to our laws, which could have devasting results to our natural resources, we should just modify the law we have in place and restrict ice fishing to 1 line per person and further insure the safety of our fisheries!

Good point Tuck!

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

Quote:

My honest opinion is rather harsh, but I’m going to throw it out there any way. If you need 2 lines to fish with in order to feel like you are getting the most out of your time on the water, you are out there for all the wrong reasons and the sport would be much better off if you stayed on shore an played video games. Fishing IS NOT a matter of making contact with the most fish possible in any time frame allowed. If it was, marry an American Indian and get yourself a gill net, because any 2 line legislation is only a hair short of giving everybody a gill net.

So are you saying that all fisherman in Ia, Wi, SD, and ND are these poor fisherman you mentioned!!! Since MN only allows one line does that make the fisherman from there superior to the neighboring states that allow 2 or more lines? I for one usually only run one line, warm or ice fishing, but when I go cat fishing I’ll use 2 lines, and when I start taking my granddaughter out pan fishing with bobbers I’ll probably run 2 lines to increase my chance to catch a fish for my granddaughter to reel in!!

Ed

jldii

Quote:

So are you saying that all fisherman in Ia, Wi, SD, and ND are these poor fisherman you mentioned!!!

No, that is not what I was saying.

What I said was that if think you HAVE to have 2 lines in order to enjoy fishing by making contact with as many fish as is possible, then you have the wrong reasons for being out fishing.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Since MN only allows one line does that make the fisherman from there superior to the neighboring states

I think..so.

Somehow I think the Mille Lacs fishery is getting mixed in here. Let’s face it, if there wasn’t any netting on the big pond there wouldn’t be any issue with using 2 lines.

Also there are some that forget about the other types of fish out there. I can’t imagine fishing with one line (one bait) for cats. Early spring I’ll fish for channels with one type of bait but keep the second rod out with live bait on just for the hope the flathead bite starts. The guys fishing the MN River (one line only) would be willing to give up their first born to use 2 lines.

‘Course catfisherman make up about 1% of the fishing population.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

You make some great points Jack and I agree with you. It’s not always about catching fish when you go fishing. Actually, some of my best memories on the water are when the fish were not cooperating and therefore led to some great conversations and story telling.

These comments below are not directed at you Jack either. This is a very good topic with both sides making good points!

Maybe a guy should file a lawsuit stating that it is discriminatory against open water anglers who can only use one line compared to ice anglers that can use two!

I know this is exaggerating a point, but why do ice anglers get two lines and open water anglers don’t? And please don’t preach hooking mortality due to water temps…

Here are a couple of other questions:

Do you think using two lines during the ice angling season is having a negative impact on the fishing industry in MN?

What if we changed the law to say that you can only use one line for ice angling? Do you think that would improve the overall quality of fishing in MN?

Kind of interesting when you look it that way isn’t it? I realize there are more open water anglers versus ice anglers. However, if using two lines is a bad thing (increased fishing pressure, hooking mortality, more fish caught/harvested) then make the law one line for both types of angling (ice and open water).

Even though I’m in favor of changing the law to two lines year round, I don’t think it should be for free. Let’s use this as an opportunity to increase our quality of fishing! For those anglers who want to use two lines, maybe should have to pay for a stamp for this privilege (the state of CO does this). Then let’s use that money to improve our overall quality of fishing (by introducing more stocking for example). Would you be in favor of this?

In addition, maybe those anglers who want to buy a stamp to use two lines, must attend or complete a “quality of fishing course” that teaches simple concepts such as proper handling of fish, the importance of CPR, etc… Let’s use this change in law to educate more anglers and improve our overall quality of fishing!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Maybe a guy should file a lawsuit stating that it is discriminatory against open water anglers who can only use one line compared to ice anglers that can use two!

Ummm…don’t laugh. I tried that route for the WI/MN 3/2 line law on border waters. But that’s another topic.

jldii

Brad, as for hooking mortality when ice fishing, about the only mortality is from deep hooked fish. Aside from that there is very little if any mortality.

BrianK, I’m not worried about there ever being 2 lines on open water on Mille Lacs, because it is not going to happen. The 2 line subject came up in an InPut Group meeting not too long ago, and the idea will not ever be allowed as long as we have to meet the terms of the court decision. So until the day comes that the Treaty decision were to be over turned, it is a non issue on Mille Lacs, regardless what happens in the rest of the state.

I think what is lost with this discussion here on IDO is that we here are all fairly decent fishermen and outdoor enthusists. The biggest threat of what could happen with a second line on open water isn’t so much with us, its what damages will happen when those people who only fish 1 or 2 times a year head out with 2 lines. Most of them can’t handle 1 line much less 2.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Jack, you are simply wrong. I am right and I know it pains you to agree with a punk from SD.

Actually, as you can tell, i don’t think our fisheries are going to be devistated if we add another line. I think it’s hogwash that the DNR has brainwashed all you old fart MN’s into thinking somehow these great fisheries would all be extinct should anglers fish with 2 lines. I especially don’t get the Mille Lacs lake being special. I wish I could find the stat. It goes something like 10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish. Well, if that 10% is abiding by the law, they are only allowed X walleyes, sunfish a day/possession.

Your arguement about it’s about the experience. Well sure it is, but I also go to catch fish!!! Sadly most days I have to take pride in the fact I got the experience. I love catching fish, little to big. I am selfish, I want to catch more fish. Doesn’t mean I’m gonna keep more.

OK, I’m done picking on Jack. All, I just don’t get how those that argue against this have it so solidly set in “your” mind more lines = more killed fish.

Alright, I’m off to go ruin a local fishery by fishing two lines.

pogo2554
    Sun Prairie, WI

Great forum, and obviously a lot of passion on both sides of this. Fishing mostly in Wi waters, I have the option of three lines. I’m guessing that 85% of my fishing time is done with one pole a time. The only time I see a real advantage to the multiple line setup is with trolling, and we can’t do that on most lakes anyway.

If you’re truly jig fishing, you’re really only fishing with one line if you want to do it effectively, and if you’re casting, it’s obviously one line. The point I’m trying to make is that even with the potential to fish multiple lines, there just aren’t that many situations that it’s conducive to do it. To say that you think it will deplete the fishery, I think is false. MN has a great fishery, and will always have one no matter if you fish with one line or three. WI has a great fishery, and has always had a three line limit. It just doesn’t matter if you can fish with one or three, a limit of fish is the same if you get it either way, and that’s what everyone is entitled to with a valid license.

I just think you’d be surprised at how many fisherman in WI fish one pole a time, even though they have options to do otherwise. My guess being that you can fish one line more effectively than you can multiple lines, with the exception of trolling situations.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

I’m not worried about there ever being 2 lines on open water on Mille Lacs, because it is not going to happen. The 2 line subject came up in an InPut Group meeting not too long ago, and the idea will not ever be allowed as long as we have to meet the terms of the court decision. So until the day comes that the Treaty decision were to be over turned, it is a non issue on Mille Lacs, regardless what happens in the rest of the state.

Correct if if I’m wrong, but isn’t this is a legislative decision and not up to the DNR or any Fishery Input Group? I believe they can only influence the decision right?

ggoody
    Mpls MN

That’s the problem I have is the Legislators are changing the Law against the wishes of the Mn DNR.

I hope they charge you guys $100 for that 2nd line!…

Heck maybe Kootys right and with 1,000’s of extra lines in the water we’ll actually catch/harvest/kill less fish..

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 339 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.