Overharvest of a fishery vs two lines proposal

• timmy

Quote:

The last thing I want to do on my day off is clean fish. Without looking up the exact numbers, I’m going to guess I cleaned a little over 600 walleyes last year.

Here is something I find peculiar: Jack states very strongly that the 2 line issue would have a negative impact on fisheries and that we MUST NOT allow it(under the ruse of “I care too much about our impacts on the fisheries”) ………………..

Jack – if our impact on our fisheries is such a major concern of yours, I find it odd that you keep putting the knife to all those walleyes that WOULD NOT get caught by your clients if they did not hire a guide…… It seems to me that guides are a bigger impact that two lines ever could be.

It seems that the old motto “hooray for me and to heck with you” is ringing pretty loudly here…..

Just sayin – Tim

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Let’s just stop talking fishing because it leading to more fish dying.

I think the pot has been stirred and the chili is done.

jldii

Hey, if I can give over 200 people the chance to legally harvest that many walleyes using 1 line per person, there is absolutely no reason anyone else here couldn’t do the same.

You would really freek out if I told you how many my customers could have kept if everyone kept all they legally could.

My point is simple, it is not me catching the fish, it is others. I only supply a boat, equipment, and knowledge for people without those means needed to go fishing for a day.

If what I do is so bad, this state’s DNR would not value my input as much they do.

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

Well one of these days they better wake up and listen to some different imput.Minnesota has some of the best fishing in the USA yet I dont see a lot of out of state plates around.I hate to keep bringing up ML but lets use it for an example.One of the walleye capitals and a great walleye lake yet resorts are dropping like flies.And I also just read in the messenger that there are about half of the fish houses out there that there used to be and it will probably get worse.They keep cutting back the slot and limits and the natives quota keeps going up.Being an hour away from Minneapolis it should be packed with people.Now the only time it is booming is around opening weekend and maybe a few holidays or when you get a hot bite.Other than that you can have most of the lake to yourself.Heck I even sold my shack up there and havnt wet a line there this winter.Instead I went to LOW twice and I am going back again next week for a few days and at the end of the month.And I drive right by ML on the way.If the natives quota keeps going up all you will have left there is a few Bass and Musky guys and about half of the resorts you have now.Thats my input.Good Luck.

timmy

Quote:

You would really freek out if I told you how many my customers could have kept if everyone kept all they legally could.

If what I do is so bad, this state’s DNR would not value my input as much they do.

No, Jack, I would not freak out. I would not be remotely surprised, or alarmed. I fully understand the benefits and impacts a guide has – and I have the utmost respect for that job. I could never do it. I guided a little several years back and quickly learned it was not my cup of tea.

I never said what you do is bad. I merely said you(all guides collectively, not you specifically) have an impact on a fishery that appears to me to be significant compared to the impact that 2 lines would have (still no evidence that catch rates and mortalitiy would increase very much…..).

Tim

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

I myself dont want 2 lines to keep and eat more fish.I catch plenty with one rod and I still throw most of my eaters back.I think last year we had a few meals of walleye all year.I would just like to be able to troll with 2 rods occasionally when I am alone in the boat or maybe fish 2 different species at the same time.I know not everyone thinks that way thats why you have slots and limits.And Im sure you will always have a few loosers that want to fill their freezer.

Like I said before places that allow 2 or more lines you hardly see anyone fishing with more than 1 rod anyway so I think it would have little effect.

Im also waiting for someone to name a lake that has been fished out by multiple lines that hasnt had a net in it.

If the state wants to attract tourism $$$ this will probably help.Most lakes are stocked anyway because there are very few self producers like ML.

All I hear is the DNR whining they have no money and that less people and kids are fishing.Yet they spent a million bucks on ML for boat ramps that sit mostly empty.

ferny
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

They have a policy of never engaging in internet discussions. That is why you have never seen any DNR official on any discussion board anywhere.

I have seen MN DNR people post on other sites to like FM (boo hiss) search for the user name lcornice and I think you’d find a particular big game employee with over 350 posts! Unless he’s a poser???

Please enlighten us on the DNR personnel who do not want you…a free citizen to post on the net. Feel free to PM me

I think the DNR should be open to advice on internet forums as a source of public input. It’s 2009 for Pete’s sake! It’s much easier for the masses to participate in a forum than to attend a meeting.

Thanks,

Ferny.

danno
    Central MN

Quote:

Quote:

They have a policy of never engaging in internet discussions. That is why you have never seen any DNR official on any discussion board anywhere.

I have seen MN DNR people post on other sites to like FM (boo hiss) search for the user name lcornice and I think you’d find a particular big game employee with over 350 posts! Unless he’s a poser???

Please enlighten us on the DNR personnel who do not want you…a free citizen to post on the net. Feel free to PM me

I think the DNR should be open to advice on internet forums as a source of public input. It’s 2009 for Pete’s sake! It’s much easier for the masses to participate in a forum than to attend a meeting.

Thanks,

Ferny.

I don’t know if you unintentionally replied to my post, but I didn’t post that.

jldii

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks,

Ferny.

I don’t know if you unintentionally replied to my post, but I didn’t post that.

Yeah, right, sure, we believe you, uh huh, not a problem!!

Viewing 9 posts - 331 through 339 (of 339 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.