White Bass to be stocked in Metro Lakes

• ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

White Bass Stocking

What do you guys think about this? There are a lot of ways to go on the subject, that’s for sure.

I guess I hope it works out without any negative environmental effects. IF they can do that I think it’s a great idea.

Dream’n
    South St. Paul, Mn

How do they taste? I have caught countless numbers on the rivers but always let them go. Caught some real nice ones on lake Wappogasset, WI.
    Dream’n

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I’m all for increasing fishing opportunities and getting more and more anglers licensed each year. However, my only bone would be catering to a small special interest group.

Our government and society seem so ready to bend anytime a small faction wants something “their” way. We couldnt’ even get dedicated funding for the outdoors and we are a lot more than 30 – 40 thousand.

kooty
    Keymaster

Quote:

How do they taste?

Very good, if you remove the red meat along the skin.

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

My problem with this is that Im pretty sure in a democracy, that you should be catering to the majority… So why does MN always cater to the minorities???

You are going to potentially ruin a fishery for a select few individuals??? I’d like to say “Whatever man, I dont fish those lakes” But you cant say that. If they pull that stuff on one lake, whats to stop them from doing it on another???

Dont care much for this idea!

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Why would the DNR dedicate funds to promotion and all of the testing that goes along with this? It seems to me that promoting existing waters with white bass such P1 thru P4 and the St.Croix would be fiscally responsible and would push revenue to the business in those areas. Why create a new one when we already have existing ones? Promote the King power plant.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I’ve eaten a lot of these things. Like Kooty said, cut off the “mud line”, the red meat along the lateral line. Fry ’em up like anything else and they’re delicious.

I’ve caught them on Prior, I’ve caught them out of Phalen, and I caught them by the hundreds out of Cedar (the WI Cedar Lake near Star Prairie). So they do survive in lakes.

I guess I’d want to know how this is being paid for, or more specifically what else ISN’T being paid for to satisfy the consumption needs for a specific group of anglers. There’s only so much money to go around.

Rootski

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

well one thing for sure.. they DO love to fish for them… and one of my friends loves to eat whities too.. he has actually offered to trade me walleyes for white bass one for one… but of course I dont need help catching eyes… so I just give him a the white and ask for a beer… but those he is more reluctant to part with.. lol…

g38
    South metro

Like Rootski said, they are in Prior, kind of fun when one mixes in with the crappies, but the question here is how did they get in Prior?? Whites are relatively new to Prior, last 3 years or so, so who did the stocking?
    Another question I would have would be how much more biomass can the lakes mentioned for stocking take without harming the “native” species???
    I’m not too in favor of this idea.
    Gregg

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I like the statement “we eat what we catch,” or something to that affect, in the article. My Grandpa used to as well, but he sees the importance of selective harvest now. Anyway, I like the ideas of giving people more opportunites to fish. I just don’t want so see the fish have an adverse effect on an existing lake or spread any diseases. Aren’t there some retaining ponds they could dig out and stock?

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Whites are relatively new to Prior, last 3 years or so, so who did the stocking?

I caught Whites out of Prior when I was a kid, and I really don’t want to think about how long ago that was . I don’t think there’s a huge population of them in Prior and their numbers might go up and down over the years. The last time I caught them was from shore in April 2004 in that little bay next to the access on the lower lake.

Rootski

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

A couple Devil’s Advocate comments here:

Are Muskie Angler’s a minority group/special interest?

On bodies of water where I hear people continuously complain about certain groups of people who are overharvesting the species they care about most, would it not help their cause if another species that they are probably not too concerned takes the focus off of walleyes/bass/sunfish etc?

kooty
    Keymaster

Yes, musky anglers could be considered that I suppose. However I would also argue look what groups like musky inc etc… have done for sustaining that resource. Great point, musky fisherman are a drain on our society too.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Quote:

Like Rootski said, they are in Prior, kind of fun when one mixes in with the crappies, but the question here is how did they get in Prior?? Whites are relatively new to Prior, last 3 years or so, so who did the stocking?
    Another question I would have would be how much more biomass can the lakes mentioned for stocking take without harming the “native” species???
    I’m not too in favor of this idea.
    Gregg

I believe they were stocked at one point atleast in Spring lake (spring and prior are connected), I was suprised by one that went near 3#’s, can’t remember who told me, but I’m fairly certain it credible.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

Quote:

I guess I’d want to know how this is being paid for, or more specifically what else ISN’T being paid for to satisfy the consumption needs for a specific group of anglers. There’s only so much money to go around.

Rootski

they’ll just up our license or better yet sell a white bass stamp…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.