smoker?

• wilson1984

Hey guys,
    My buddy got a chest-type freezer and we want to make it into a smoker. I would say it’s about 5 feet wide, 6 feet tall and 3 feet deep. The best part is that the bottom 2 feet are open. We plan to enclose those bottom 2 feet and put the smoker stuff in there. We are curious if we could use some sort of electric element to use as the smoker. We are looking for advice. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

troy_blackstad
    Hastings MN

I’ll call my uncle tomorrow and tell him we’re coming down to look at it. Never know it might be full.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Alton brown has made a smoker with a electric hot plate, I bet that would work.

Google is your friend to find Alton brown’s smoker

bigshoots30
    Sartell, MN

My opinion: Use a propane burner of some sort, it will be much easier to control the heat this way. Good Luck!

wilson1984

We were thinking about a propane setup but what makes the smoke?

mnhass
    Dodge Center

You have to put a small pan of wood chunks or chips on top of the smoker, or you could buy an expensive smoke generator.
    My cook shack wich is electric will use about 2 oz of wood to smoke just about anything.

mallard_militia
    Fulton County, Illinois

Quote:

We were thinking about a propane setup but what makes the smoke?

Just like mentioned above. You place a metal tray directly above the flame. In this tray you want to add your soaked down wood chips. The flame basically fries the wood chips to produce the smoke. I would suggest above the wood chip box that you add provisions for a drip pan to keep you wood box and bottom clean. You will want a couple adjustable vents on the top to fine tune the heat. Also you will want to add a thermometer that you can see with everything closed up and smoking.

wilson1984

Sounds good. Thank you for all the help!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.