Anyone drive a 2006 or newer Impala??

• buckshot
    Rochester, MN

Hi All,
    With the new addition to the family coming soon the wife and I are looking at 4 door cars. Unfortunately the Monte isn’t too conducive for getting a kid in and out of the back seat.

We have looked at several Impalas and they seem pretty nice and there are some great deals but I don’t know anyone that has an 2006 or newer.

If anyone has one please let me know how you like it, we found an SS we really like and have talked to a couple dealership employees that drive the SS and they love it….BUT they are trying to sell us a car too.

If anyone has any feedback on the Impala in general that would be great, info on the SS would even be better.
    Thanks
    JB

packmann
    spring valley

hey buckshot
    we have an 06 impala ls. we have had nothing but good luck with it. we have had good luck with our. it drives nice and is roomy. also has some power. the trunk is very large which is another good thing, we also bought right before our 1st child for all the room and driving gently you can almost get 30 miles to a gallon. the only thing i would say is get the next model up from ours. it is the lt. this comes stock with a remote car starter.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Hey Pally……..My MOI has had them for about the last 10 years and has a 07 currently. Has had nothing but good luck with them. And when I have driven it it has plenty of power when needed and pretty comfy for us “Bigger” people.

birddog
    Mn.

We’ve owned 3 total…02, 03 and a 07. All of them got great MPG, avg. 31-34 highway. Very comfortable, ride great. But…

We had lots of nickle, dime repairs on each. Blower motors, intermediate shafts, sensors, etc. When I say nickle/dime…I mean 3-$400 repairs!

The 07 was the worst out of all of them…countless repairs under warranty. To much electronic crap breaking down, who needs a tire monitoring system?? We went through 3 of them in 30K. Auto headlight sensor, went through 2 of them. Intermediate shafts…yep…a few! Tumbler, couldn’t start the car…tow! As soon as we got near the end of the warranty we dumped it! We had planned on driving it for years…I think we had it 6 months.

It seemed every other month we were dealing with repairs! Same goes for our 05 silverado. It has 50K now and we’ve replaced U joints, a front drive shaft, a few seals, a wheel bearing, sensor and tank vent selonoid…of course all since 36K!! GM makes me want to puke right now! If the truck was worth anthing right now I’d dump it ASAP! Unfortunatly it’s not worth much so it looks like I’ll be driving it for a few years.

The wife has moved on to a Camry…As soon as I can get out from under this Silverado I’ll be moving on as well! No more GM’s for this family!

Good Luck.

BIRDDOG

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

My wife drives one. Fits two car seats well, and there is room for the mutt on trips out of town as well. We have had good luck.

Only problem has been if she uses E85, it trips a sensor for the traction control. We have had it in for this problem 4-5 times. Computer gets reset, but they cannot find a problem. We don’t use E85 anymore and have not had a problem.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

I think size wise it is a great car for a small family. I would make sure that you get a model with head/side curtain bags. I don’t think the lower models have them.

FDR

nick858
    Eldora, Iowa

Nothing but good luck here. We have had an 01 and an 03, and currently have an 07. My wifes company buys Impalas and Grand Prixs for their workers, and have had great luck, probably buy 25 or so each year. Mileage is good, and cost of ownership is good. There are always a few bad ones, like the one mentioned above, but for the most part, I think you will find people very satisfied with the Impalas.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I’ll ask my buddy, but he owns two of them. Pretty sure he wouldn’t have bought the second if he wasn’t completely happy with the 1st.

fisherman-j
    Northern MN

I bought an ’07 about six months ago. MPG is 30 on the hwy going 65-75. I’ve had the tire pressure monitor system replaced under warranty, but otherwise it’s been reliable. I like the bigger size and fits our family of four pretty well. It gets pretty good JD Power, Edmunds and Consumer Reports ratings, too.

I drove an ’09 Malibou for a few days and that was a nice car, but smaller than the Impala.

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

Thanks for the feedback everyone!!!
    Sounds like a good car overall. Heidi loves her Monte and the Impala is about the closest thing you can get in a 4 door.

If we pull the trigger I’ll post some pics!
    Thanks!!
    JB

chomps
    Sioux City IA

do have to say the wife’s 06 LT is great, had a blown power steering line replaced under warranty, other than that, comfortable and has a roomy trunk, I was a bit leary buying my first GM vehicle, guess time will tell, we have only owned it a year and a half, there are a ton of fleet vehicles coming off lease, sure to be some bargains out there.

brandengifford
    Franklin TN.

Have you taken the SS for a test drive yet? I drove one & I was blown away by the power.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have had two rentals this year. The ones with the 3900 motor, dual exhaust. Impressive power.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

yeah the LTZ and the SS will have the larger V-6’s and dual exhaust, not quite the gas mileage I was look’n for at the time, and the insurancewas quite a bit higher.

dougie
    Sobieski,Wi

I drive cars for a rental company and when I bought a car this year it was a 2007 Impala. I’m really impressed with them. Ride nice handle good pretty good gas mileage too. I bought the LTZ it has the 3.9 in it. The SS’s that we have are V8’s.The 06’s had a recall for the power steering hose some of the 08’s had a recall for the dual heating controll the tire monitor system has been a pain in the . I had a couple of friends ask me what kind of car to buy and I told them Impalas and both bought and are happy with them. Good luck with your choice.
    Doug

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

We found a ton of Impalas and drove a few, most of them were rental returns. The one decided to go with is a 1 owner trade, the guy that owned it bought it new and is a doctor in his 50s so I doubt it got beat on too bad. Traded it in just because he gets a new car every 3 years….he bought it Dec 2005 and traded it in on a new Impala this month so he must have liked it.

It is a 2006 Impala SS black and loaded with options. The SS does have a V8 with over 300hp.
    It also has the fuel management system so when at cruising speeds it shuts down 4 cylinders bumping the mpg to mid upper 20s which is about what we are getting now with the Monte Carlo.
    We are picking it up on Saturday.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Now, can the Brat keep her foot out of the fuel injectors?

Congrats! That is a nice car!

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

That might be a problem for both of us.

clintm
    mazeppa mn

I have an 07 3.5L I get 30mph hwy. I usually avg, 26 but drive a lot of curvy hilly back roads. Really a nice riding car.

StaleMackrel

Hi, We have owened and enjoyed a 2004 Impala Sedan with the smaller v6. 34 miles per gallon on the road consitantly. We now have a 2007 Impala with the smaller v6. It is a model called LT 1. NO problems execept that we think that it has excessive wind noice around the windo areas on both sides of the front seat. I still would recommend one.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.