FIRST CAR

• moler02
    Iowa, Knoxville

Was reading the post about $1.00 gas. Noticed a couple replys mentioned their first car. Just wondered what others had for a first car. Mine was a 1951 Henry J. It had a hatchback and lay down rear seat just like many of todays models. Never see one anymore. They all went to the dragstrip.

jonathandeblieck
    quad cities, il

bought my first in ’95. it was a 70 1/2 ss camaro. a mothers worst nightmare! dad dug it though

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

Mine was a Red 1976 Caprice Classic Coupe, 4 door tank. The only vehicle I have been extremely comfortable in that I have owned or been in. I also remember in high school when 5-10 bucks in gas would last at least 1 week to 1 1/2 weeks….

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

1964 Mercury Meteor….260 V8…3 on the tree! Was 16 when I bought it for $300! Had a BIG back seat!!

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

My old Grandma’s 72 Volvo.

I tried to put my lunchbox in the trunk one day and it fell through. About once a week, I had to climb under it and pound on the fuel pump to get it to work, but I did not have the cash to get a new one.

Man the good old days

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

89 plymouth sundace 2.2 ltr 5 speed with turbo!

not sure why the old man let me get that thing, went like a raped app, didn’t handle the corners all that well…

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

My first car was a 1969 AMX, 390 4brl, 4 speed. My dad let me drive it once and wouldn’t let me drive it again!! So I got a 1970 Javeline, 290 2 brl, auto. He felt I was much safer in that.

Ed

ron_w_basser2
    North Central, MN

1968 Chevelle. It was only a 12 year old vehicle at the time and my dad bought it for me in driving condition. The guy who had it before me had swapped out the 327 for a 454. Geez would I like to have that now!

chico-diablo
    New Richmond, WI

1956 Desoto, push button transmission, 315 Hemi and a very big back seat

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

71 Nova – completely gutted
    327 tricked out,Alluminum 4″ high rise intake and Holley 650 double pump, muncy, hurst shift kit,12 bolt posi 4:56 rear end, Hooker headers,open side pipes, 69 camaro buckets, and more than I care to admit I spent money on. After 3 years of building it and two years of driving it summer only…I sold it for a huge loss Best ET slip was just over 12 sec @ 111mph

Every April after the first good puking of rain that washes the streets off, I miss that car.

hodge91
    La Crosse WI

1969 Roadrunner big block automatic one owner and less than 60,000 miles for $1300 back in 1978

Dave G
    Rochester, MN

57 Ford – close to the worst piece of crap I ever owned – but it taught me almost everything about car repair. Weekly trips to the Mpls junkyards on Washington Ave to replace/fix whatever broke down. The 3-speed manual transmission always locked up; I could drop the transmission, unlock the gears, and put everything back in less than an hour. I fixed everything with a $2 socket set from K-mart. Bolts constantly snapped off, all fluids leaked, could not make it up big hills without overheating, etc.

But it was a hot looking car and I could make it backfire at will when going by the chicks – we really thought we were kool. Many Friday nights we drag raced on Lake Street from stoplight to stoplight, plus hitting the car hop restaurants for California burgers & fries.

I sure do miss those times even though almost all the cars us teenagers had were junk.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

1st was 1977 Chevy Monza w/ a 305 V8, $860, bald tires sparked when I lit up the tires!

I have since had:
    1980 Triumph Spitfire
    1987 Nissan Pulsar
    1992 Ford Tempo
    1988 Audi 4000
    1985 Buick Regal
    1994 Mustang GT Conv
    1994 Mercury Grand Marquis
    1989 Mazda MX6
    1996 Ford Explorer
    1995 Ford Ranger
    2002 Ford Explorer
    2000 Mercury Mountaineer
    1998 Ford Mustang
    2007 Pontiac G6 Conv

There may have been 1-2 more tossed in there. The funniest looks I got was towing my little boat at rapid speeds in the Mustang Convert or driving it w/ the top down ice fishing on Crystal Lake.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Quote:

Mine was a Red 1976 Caprice Classic Coupe, 4 door tank. The only vehicle I have been extremely comfortable in that I have owned or been in. I also remember in high school when 5-10 bucks in gas would last at least 1 week to 1 1/2 weeks….

My first car was an 83 Caprice Classic. Loved that car. Comfy and quite big. We sure did have fun in the car cruising the back country roads of north east Iowa.

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

uhm…it was a white Brand Prix I can not remember a year of the car. I rolled it in 24 days never made a first car payment on that car

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

76 Jeep CJ5 258 Straight 6 with split header and dual glass packs.
    38″ tires, I could bounce it and pop the tires off the ground! Top speed was only 57 MPH. But it sounded like it was going 100! Graduated to a 69 Merc Cougar, 351 3 on the floor…then a 63 catalina with a 389 with a queen sized bed-size back seat and then my favorite. Another 69 Cougar XR7 390 4 speed. My God was that car FAST and mint! Yep, I really wish I had them back!

jonboy
    Wausau, WI

Mine was a 2 door white 62 Chev impalla SS (stood for “super sharp”) Wish I still had it today

My best buddy had red a 62 Chrysler 300…The dash on that thing looked like a pinball machine at night!

Both of us paid $100 in 1975 for these old classics!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

1975 Nova with a 305. Drove it until there was literally nothing left.

On that model you had to remove the passenger side tire and drop the fender skirt to get at the blower fan motor. This car was so rusty and beat up that the last time the blower motor went out I didn’t even consider going through all the hassle of changing out the squirrel cage the “right way.” Instead I pulled it into the shop, hit the fender with a plasma cutter and made myself an access hatch to get at that motor. Replaced the motor and used duct tape to cover the hole. I’m not sure any of my friends even noticed… lol

I think I paid $300 total for that car and it might be the only vehicle I ever own where I actually get my money’s worth out of it.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

On that model you had to remove the passenger side tire and drop the fender skirt to get at the blower fan motor. This car was so rusty and beat up that the last time the blower motor went out I didn’t even consider going through all the hassle of changing out the squirrel cage the “right way.” Instead I pulled it into the shop, hit the fender with a plasma cutter and made myself an access hatch to get at that motor. Replaced the motor and used duct tape to cover the hole. I’m not sure any of my friends even noticed… lol

I think I paid $300 total for that car and it might be the only vehicle I ever own where I actually get my money’s worth out of it.

That sounds like most of the Holst-Mobiles I have witnessed over the years!

maddog
    Park Rapids Mn.

mine was a 1962 chev Belair 4dr with a 283 .sounded great with the air cleaner cover turned upside down. Chased a lot of jackrabbits with it back in 72.Gas was .29 cents and had to spend my lunch money to get it.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

That sounds like most of the Holst-Mobiles I have witnessed over the years!

Oh no, this one was special.

As for fancy wheels… it does nothing for me. I’ll likely be a used car / truck guy ’til the day I die.

revermann
    Rice, MN

1977 Buick Le Sabre. Big old tank that could really move and I didn’t mind only getting 10 MPG with it. To be young and only have to worry about getting enough money to go out and put a little gas in the car.
    Now those were the days.

KirtH
    Lakeville

1962 International Scout 4 cyl 3 speed 4 wd. It had a pick up box on the back.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

’77 Buick Regal Landau. Sweet ride.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

1968 Ford Galaxi 500.250$ Had one head light that shined up at 45 degree angle….Great road trip and coon hunting car
    Got in a little trouble after 3 weeks and sold it for 250$

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

My first 2 cars were 1978 Mazada GLC’s. GLC = Goes Like Crazy! They were rear wheel drive and an absolute blast especially on the snow and ice. I gave $5.00 for the first one and the second one was in great shape and paid $300 for it. I wish I still had a picture of the first one. It was a often called the Fred Flinstone mobile. It literly had no floor. I had to “drag my swampers to get the car to stop.”.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

1953 Chevy Belair 2 door hard top…..
    Stoveblot 6 with a “GASP” Powerglide……
    Gas was .23

uffdapete
    Rainy Lake, MN

First car owned was a 1972 Ford Ranchero that I ordered…. and paid $3,025. After 2 older brothers were always broke driving junkers through high school and college my Dad promised he’s cosign for me on a new vehicle if I waited until completing college before getting a car. In the meantime he was very good about making a car available to me when needed. Those cars were a 62 Plymouth, 61 Olds and 68 Chevy. My youngest bro also drove the Chevy a few years and lots of miles and rust later. He decided it needed a new paint job one day and proceeded to convert from blue to barn red with a broom! That made it real chick magnet.

RRobarge
    Andover, MN

1965 mustang 289 4bbl gas has .37 cent a gal and I still couldn’t hardly afford to drive it But I showed good responsibility and got to trade up to a 69 mach1 wish I still had it. If you haven’t heard that before.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.