Dog Carting.

• jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Anyone out there into dog carting?

Couple of web links.

Dog Carting 1

Dog Carting 2

Looks like a fun way to wear out the young pup. Remember I have a 120 lb Rottweiler just turned one year old. Turns out Rotts were bread to be carting animals in Germany. (Saw an episode on Animal Planet that got my interest) I think he will take right to it. Could also be a big help in dragging out all of the ice gear too!

Curious if anyone has any pointers on training or building a cart. I did order up a custom harness from link #2.

-J.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I saw that show, Jon. Pretty neat. We’ve got a great dane and that looks like it might be fun.

Another option would be canine weight pulling. Think of tractor pulling with a dog instead of a tractor. We might end up doing this with our dog once he stops growing. Let me know if you’re interested and I can get you some contact info.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I think chamberchamps was into this with his pit bulls??? I remember posts about how much weight they could pull etc…

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I saw some dog pull pics on the net. I think my dog would be all over that! I’m up for anything to tire out the pooch!

I’m going to start him out this weekend pulling a plain old empty sled and work up from there.

-J.

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

That looks pretty cool. We got a 100 pound German Shepherd. Ours is an American breed so they walk with more of slant than the European breed(ours isn’t extreme because we don’t show him), so I would think it would be a little rough on his hips/back?? It is hard for me to tell if that is an American or European Shepherd in the picture on the second link. Looks like a neat thing for real working dogs though.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

That’s cool stuff! I need to get my dog into something like that.

-J.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I hope to get ours into pulling. He’s already 135lbs of muscle at 8 months
    I’m going to try to make it to some events this winter to get a feel for it. From what I hear, the participants are very friendly and willing to help newcomers get started.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Good looking pup! Must be a little breeze blowing through that day?

-J.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Good looking pup! Must be a little breeze blowing through that day?

-J.

He’s easily excited

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

He’s a teenager, what else do you expect.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I know. That is what I keep telling my wife. You should see him in obedience class. He’s quite well endowed. One day, a woman in the class said, “Wow, that’s the biggest one I’ve seen all day!”

Hopefully, he outgrows that stage, or at least it subsides some after he’s fixed.

jerry b
    western WI

Jon-just a word of caution-a buddy of mine has an exceptionally nice chocolate lab. This guy was absolutely nuts to please. He started working him too hard too soon and bowed a tendon. Poor dog is pretty much done as far as a working dog is concerned. jerr

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Got our dog his first taste of weight pulling this morning at a beginner seminar/fun pull. We were happy that he took pretty well to it. I think this will be something we continue to do with him. We had a good time. We even saw a Chinese Crested there pulling

Video

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Go puppy go!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.