“bouncing” gas gauge..

• oldrat
    Upper Midwest

Hi.. you guys know that I had my fuel pump changed last week on my Suburban.. now my gas gauge bounces at a stop sign.. at first it was the ground.. where my gauge went way above full.. but that’s been fixed.. but now it bounces at a STOP.. or at a take off from a stop sign..

is this something that I am Just gonna have to live with ?

I don’t want to be a pain to my mechanic either..

suggestions..

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

What year is it? My 2001 GMC’s fuel gauge did that for awhile and then stopped working at certain points. When the tank is full, it reads empty for about 50 miles. Then works find until just under 1/2. 50 miles later, it works find again. I know of 2 other people who had the same year trucks that did the same thing. I decided I know how much gas is in the tank and don’t want to pay a couple of hundred to have it fix.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

My Pontic does that to when it get’s low. Go around a corner and sets off the guages alarm. Annoying,but not a big deal if you know how much gas is in the tank.

keepcasting
    Excelsior

I have a 2005 GMC Envoy that in the last month has been bouncing all over the place and similar to the previous post will show empty for at least the first 50 miles or so. The dealer said that the sensor for mine is electronic and will cost about $500 all told to fix b/c the have to drop the whole tank, etc… So I just use my trip now to guage how much gas I have left until i feel like shelling out the dough.

oldrat
    Upper Midwest

its a 97 suburban.. and it worked great until dropping the gas tank and changing that fuel pump last week..

a1a

Not to worry, it’s simply a new feature these days to help the gas gauge keep pace with the gas prices. I think GM was the first to come out with this technology…which is probably the reason they are looking for a 25 billion dollar loan.

igotone

Quote:

its a 97 suburban.. and it worked great until dropping the gas tank and changing that fuel pump last week..

Had a 98 chevy pickup. fuel pump went out. got replaced and the fuel gauge would shake (quiver). Told the place that fixed it and they said it should quit.

Well they were full of it.

It don,t bother me now. But I longer own that pickup.

Hope someone here can tell us what it is

Because I got another 98 chevy and the fuel pump will have 2 B replaced sometime. They told me then that they go out around every 80,000 miles.

birddog
    Mn.

Quote:

I don’t want to be a pain to my mechanic either..

It was working just fine before, now it’s bouncing around. Tell him to fix it! When your shelling out cash to have something fixed, and its not, that’s a pain. I wouldn’t worry about being a “pain”.

BIRDDOG

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

They told me then that they go out around every 80,000 miles.

Yep,

When it does do it your self. Take the box off and do it from the top. It will save you a few hundred bucks and it is not that difficult.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

If I recall correctly, it has something to do with the float or sending unit, there’s an adaptor. Mine did the same thing and still does, I was too cheap to do it again and now just go by mileage. Call a dealership or auto parts store for info, that’s what I ended up doing, apologies I can’t recall more detail!

Nick Dennison
    Rochester MN

def.sounds like a sending unit! on all the newer stuff the whole “fuel pump module” comes with a strainer sending unit fuel pump and all the hardware usually needed to do the job! when at work i usually just drop the tank its quite a bit easier than pulling the bed of a vehicle off of the frame it is a job u can def. do at home in a couple hours. be sure to use air tools and spray penetrating oil on all the bolts ( the strap bolts especially) any other questions shoot me a pm.

andys
    kasson

changed the fuel pump in my 01 silverado with a cheap one from checker.pump&sender is one piece,gas guage bounces alittle no big deal to me.

NickReynolds

on a 97 Suburban the sender should be seperate from the fuel pump. Check out acdelco.com and enter the trucks VIN and then pick the fuel pump group.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.