My First Musky!

• wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Well, I finally got the pictures of my first Musky. They did not turn out too well but I thought I’d share ’em anyway. Caught this Musky off our dock on West Battle Lake. I did not get a measure of her as I was in a hurry to get her back in the water. I was not prepared for this. This Musky was caught on a top water Devil Horse in about three feet of water. She hammered that lure and came out of the water twice. I’m not a Musky fisherman but I may become one soon! Great fight and great fun!

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

A little different view – me with my eyes closed.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Had to share this great pic of my wife, Tamara with this very nice crappie.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Great pics Wade I have yet to catch one, hope that changes soon

bait_caster
    Spring Valley, Wis.

Congradulations on your first Musky!!! Keep those pics coming

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

what odd coloring. hybrids swim in that lake?

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

SteveO,

To my understanding, Muskies go through various phases which effects their coloration. I call this the “spotted phase” but I suppose there’s an official name for the phase. I also understand they go through a phase where the color is nearly all white. Like I said, I’m not a Musky guy but maybe someone else on here knows more about this.

Does anyone have any idea what the length or weight on this fish would be by looking at the pics. I know that’s hard to do but I have no idea. I know she’s not huge for a Musky but it would be nice for me to have some idea about length and weight since she was my first one. I was in such a rush to get her back in the water I did not try to get a length or weight. Thanks – Wade

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

I dug up some info on this just to be sure…

It is the spotted phase. Here’s a link to the Minnesota DNR that shows the different phases of Musky.

Figure8em

While not an expert, I have spent a large amount of time chasing muskies, particularly this year, and would guess that fish to be in the 32-34 inch class, weighing around 10-12 pounds (hard to guess weight without a girth measurement).

As far as the coloring goes, it typically has to do with the strain of musky you catch. The spots on your musky are consistent with the Leech Lake strain, whereas a musky with bars on its side is more typical of a Wisconsin strain of fish. I’ve seen a number of bigger fish come out of Leech that still have their spots as they’ve reached the mid to upper 40″ class. Leech has also served as the stocking source for a number of lakes in Minnesota, so it’s quite likely you’ve hooked into one in this instance.

Congratulations on your first musky….keep at it, as the excitement and challenge only gets better (and more frustrating) with bigger fish.

Figure_8em

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Not a hybrid SteveO. This is common for smaller muskies in the Croix. The spots tend to fade off as they grow but can be seen in many if you look close.

I’m not good on guessing lengths but I’d venture about 29-30″ and 4-5 pounds. Size doesn’t matter…………..catching a muskie just ignites something within………and it’s hard to resist! Welcome to the fever!!!

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

well, as long as we’re showing off our first muskies…..here’s mine . anyone care to take a gander at the length and weight of this beastly critter? i was in too much of a hurry to get her back in the water to get any measurements

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

here’s a pic of my second musky ever. still not an overly huge one, but quite an up grade from my first one. it ended up going 36 1/2″. as you may have guessed, i wasn’t actually fishing for musky when i caught either of these fish. BONUS FISH ARE FUN!!

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Wade great job on the muskie.Very neat looking fish.Please tell me the wife got the crappie slip-bobber fishing?
    Ryan Hale

rippinpigs
    Apple Valley, MN

I guess I’ll chime in…. got my first ‘ski on the Pond Saturday night fishing with DeeZee. I’ve lost a handfull of them this year trolling at night for ‘eys… but this pig made it’s way into the boat!

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Travis, Jake, nice Muskies guys. You’re pics are making my fish look smaller than I have made it out to be in my own head…

Ryan, The crappie was not taken on the Ryan Hale slip bobber method (sorry buddy). Tamara caught it on a spinner and minnow. I thought it was a beauty pic (since I took the shot).

Take care boys, Wade

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.