Lowrance vs. Eagle vs. Humminbird

• btomlin
    Albia, IA

I am looking at a gps/sonar unit for the spring. I’m having difficulties figuring out the differences between the following:
    Lowrance LMS 522c igps
    Eagle FishElite 502c igps and 642c igps
    Humminbird 787c2i

What’s the differences when talking 320×240 vs. 640×480 vs. 480×480?

How much difference is 1500 vs. 2400 vs. 4000 peak to peak going to make when most of your fishing is in less than 25fow?

Thanks for any imput!!!

igotone

Quote:

What’s the differences when talking 320×240 vs. 640×480 vs. 480×480?

How much difference is 1500 vs. 2400 vs. 4000 peak to peak going to make when most of your fishing is in less than 25fow?

First part is the pixel count

25 ft of water does not require a higher wattage unit

Hope this helps

walleye_wisdom
    Big Sky Country Helena, MT (Adel, IA home)

320×240 ect ect is the resolution of the screen, it’s a pixel count. The higher the clearer the graph.

As far as power goes, if you are only fishing that deep, it’s not that big of a deal, 1500W will get you by just fine. I almost wonder if the Peak to Peak Watts is just a marketing ploy after Lowrance’s new Broadband sounder uses less power for a clearer return.

I’m sure there are some very knowledgeable people that can clarify this more. Talk to Wade at Jolly Ann Marine about this, he’s a sponsor and regular on the site!

jason-cyboron
    Lincoln, NE

I worked a show at a Bass Pro over the weekend and I can tell you that Humminbird is selling the sox off of Lowrance. They are having problems keeping the new birds in stock. I’ve also heard that the paid Lowrance pros have Humminbirds hidden below their consols and in their boxes. So they are even using them. They don’t want to be at a disadvantage. Just something to consider.

Jason

btomlin
    Albia, IA

Thanks thus far…

Anyone know the zoom range on the humminbirds vs. the Low and Eagle?? I know the Low and Eagle are .04-4000 or something like that. thanks

Jason,

Where does one fish around Linoln??? My gf is from Lincoln and has family in the Eagle and Weeping Water area.

JimMcdonald
    IL

I was also trying to choose one over the other. I got the right person to give me lesson on both Humminbird and lowrance at bass pro . It was a no brainer which one to pick. The hummindird is so much easier to run you have more time to fish.
    The side scan units are the best.
    Have a great day Jim

jason-cyboron
    Lincoln, NE

It depends on what you are fishing for. There are a number of Salt Valley Lakes to fish all within about 20 miles of Lincoln. They aren’t big lakes, but the fishing is pretty decent.

Jason

welch1

I had the 787 on my last boat and it is a great little unit. As stated easy to use and the screen clairity compared to lowrance is (IMO) like watching HD cable or the old rabit ears.

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

The birds zoom right down to a nats *$$ I had always ran lows before this new boat but it was an absolute no-brainer to switch the ‘birds when it came down to quality, options and ease of use.

I am also with Jason on the ‘bird sales kicking lows butt. I don’t know the exact figure but I bet the dealer who I fish through has sold big screen ‘birds 6 to 1 over the big lows. My $.02

oldrat
    Upper Midwest

unless you are buying the side imaging, I would check out the bass fishing home page and go to Fishing tactics and other topics and look at the pictures by LTBAMA.

he is running both units, and while the side imaging is superior, I believe he prefers the display of the Lowrance.

He has done a ton of experiments with balloons and suspended objects.

but his side imaging photos are something else. unbelievable.

but he shows how many bass he caught all winter with a drop shot, when nothing else would work.

I wish he would post here as well.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

I’d focus on either the Lowrance or the Humminbird. The Eagle is a decent unit but not of the quality of the other two. You can’t really go wrong with either the 522C or the 787C. If you’re getting the unit with an internal GPS antenna, make sure you have a clear line to the sky to pick up GPS signal from the satellites. Holler if you need help.

oldrat
    Upper Midwest

http://www.wmi.org/bassfish/bassboard/fishing_tactics/index.html

and again check out the posts by LTbama.

this is the most comprehensive work EVER on a graph.
    Ralph Manns from In-Fisherman also is commenting on those posts as well.

the screens are amazing and the details fantastic.

this gives you true insight into what you are looking for and at in a graph.

the man literally has both units side by side in a boat and take captions of both going over the same structure.

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

The Eagle units are side lit and the Lowrance are backlit.

If you really care about contours, I would go Lowrance as they have more compatable chips or atleast good compatable chips.

Or you could do what I did, buy both!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.