Anybody read this yet?

• rippinpigs
    Apple Valley, MN

http://www.startribune.com/stories/484/4115924.html

When will people learn NOT to introduce aquarium raised fish into local waters? We have enough to worry about when it comes to the potential disaster the Asin carp could bring us! The artical suggests that the snakehead couldn’t survive a cold winter such as we have up here… but you never know. Fish can be extremly adaptable at times.

On a side note… that snakehead could be pretty easiliy mistaken for a dogfish… albeit a colorful dogfish.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Although it has some similarity to the Dog Fish (bowfin) it’s pretty discouraging that a DNR employee could not determine that it was NOT a bowfin and returned it to the water. Hopefully, there are not enough numbers to be a problem.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

….Wade? I’m not sure about IA, but in MN you have to leave a minimum 1inch square of skin on any fish that you are transporting…except pan fish. I’m going by memory here. The only reason I can think of for doing this is that our educated dnr field officers can’t tell the differance between a northern and a walley….or perch and a walleye.

If I’m wrong, please someone enlighten me.

By the way, I’m not into bashing the dnr, but this has bothered me for some time.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Brian, I’m not into DNR bashing either and I hope I did not give that impression. Looking at my post, it does give that impression. So, I will make it clear here. I am sure it was an honest mistake. Maybe it was even a student along for the ride or something. But that fish, although similar, is clearly not a Bowfin.

And the rule in IA is not the same as MN.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Opps! I wasn’t clear…I personally didn’t want to sound like a dnr basher….nothing to do with you. Now that I think about it…I caught a silver bass last winter and it looked odd to me, so I posted it to help in the id….Do you know what it was?

A silver bass! But then again…I don’t get paid to know my fish

I bet in IA the field people have more time to fish…so they know what a fillet of walleye looks like?!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.